• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the CF -a family tradition?

• Thread starter Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date Start date
my grandfather (dads side) was in the resreves durin WWII and he was on the beaches of Normandy, i never got to met him he died of a heart attack around like 1970‘s than currently my father is in the military (24 years of service) with the Mech tech trade. my brother (3 years service) is with 1RCHA in shilo than in 2 years its my turn to help my country

My grandfather and father served(WW1,WW2 and Korea respectively) and I am very proud of their military service to Canada. :salute:
Perhaps I, too, will serve in the CF(Reserves) when I complete my Community College education!
I am still young (37 years old) and you can join until you are 52 years old, correct? :cool:

i herd 55 plus it also depends on what ur trade PT requirements are and if you can do them

Well my family military service goes back a long long long long ways. All the way back to the American revolution fighting for the loyalists :) .
and well most wars the Canada has been in someone in my family was there, my grandpa was in WW2 as an aircraft mechanic for 419 Sqn till his crew was shot down on a mission over Germany. On my Mom‘s side of the family we have tailgunner‘s and a member of 2 Commando. So i would say it makes me kinda proud of my history right to the fact that my relitive that fought in the American revolution joined up on my birthday. :eek: . But overall ive always wanted to join the military even before i knew about most of that history so it is just another reason to join.

Is it a family tradition?

I never felt any pressure to join the forces from my family, nor am I "in the army", rather, I‘m a comm reservist.

That being said, I had a large number of uncles who served in the first and second world wars, and both my parents had military service.

While it had nothing to do with tradition, I did hear many, many.... many stories about the military growing up, and it definitly affected my decision to enroll.

My great grandpappy fought in WW1 and WW2 as a Captain with the Perth Regiment. My grandmother has his uniform, medals, etc... which are going to be passed on to me because Im the only other one to join the CF. Bryan C Lightfoot passed away in 1991. :salute:

Back