• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JOINING RESERVERS-NEED SOME INFO!

matt101pwn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have only been on this website a couple of weeks and think it is a great source for help, i really appreciate any information anyone can give on my topic :0. Anyways on to the point; I live in Brampton,Ontario, i am a grade 11 student. I registered for Co-op at my school, and found out the Co-op was closed :/ Anyways, since i am 16, am i able to join the reserves with parental permission? Also, what commitment do i need to have, like what days would i go, etc. Also, if i join the reserves do i get my BMQ and uniform etc? Please get back to me, thanks matt.

Why is it that people do not think to actually go and ask a Recruiter these basic questions? Who at your school told you that CO-OP was closed? As a Recruiter in Toronto I happen to know for a fact that we are still taking applications for CO-OP.

CALL THE RECRUITING CENTRE!!

FDO said:
Why is it that people do not think to actually go and ask a Recruiter these basic questions? Who at your school told you that CO-OP was closed? As a Recruiter in Toronto I happen to know for a fact that we are still taking applications for CO-OP.

CALL THE RECRUITING CENTRE!!

Why have a recruiting forum if we just tell everyone to call a recruiter?

Flawed Design said:

You'd think that someone with the most basic of dog F**# sense would have thought to go to a Recruiter for the most accurate and up to date info.  Then again, they may be surfing this site, rather than the CFRG Website, instead of paying attention in Class.

PMedMoe said:
Maybe the Co-op program at his school was closed.

Ours is closed too, we're full.
George Wallace said:
You'd think that someone with the most basic of dog F**# sense would have thought to go to a Recruiter for the most accurate and up to date info.  Then again, they may be surfing this site, rather than the CFRG Website, instead of paying attention in Class.

Yes and no.
I consider many people here experts. From weapon experts to supply to admin. I've had a few people from DHTC at times PM me and answer questions or comment. There are some SME's on recruiting here too.

I'd sooner trust someone here than at the CFRC.  No to knock them but I've had a few brain fart moments with them and I don't have a lot of faith in them at the moment. Someone screws up at CFRC, how often does it get overlooked? How many people get their things screwed up? My CT was screwed up for over a year, closer to two, by a silly mistake.

If I give someone bad advice on recruiting here how many other people are going to jump in set things straight and make sure someone walks away with the right information.

I'm not sure if they were recruiters per say or not but I went to a  information session at the Ramada Inn in Cornwall  and the stuff I was hearing was from another planet.

Ultimately someone with questions should find their way to a CFRC but army.ca can do a lot for them in the mean time and send them to CFRC with the right questions. That's just my take on it.

matt101pwn said:
Hi everyone, i have only been on this website a couple of weeks and think it is a great source for help, i really appreciate any information anyone can give on my topic :0. Anyways on to the point; I live in Brampton,Ontario, i am a grade 11 student. I registered for Co-op at my school, and found out the Co-op was closed :/ Anyways, since i am 16, am i able to join the reserves with parental permission? Also, what commitment do i need to have, like what days would i go, etc. Also, if i join the reserves do i get my BMQ and uniform etc? Please get back to me, thanks matt.

ALL the questions you asked can be located using the BASIC search function located ---> http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

Also a simple call to the recruiting center would answer them also.

Flawed Design said:
Ultimately someone with questions should find their way to a CFRC but army.ca can do a lot for them in the mean time and send them to CFRC with the right questions. That's just my take on it.

+1
Absolutely - isn't this the point of this section of the forum?
The more questions we can answer here the better. Better to go the the CFRC a bit informed than... wasting some of our valuable time here - since we are so busy  ;) right now and the guys at the CFRC are just sitting on their thumbs...

cheers,
Frank

slowmode said:
ALL the questions you asked can be located using the BASIC search function located ---> http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

Also a simple call to the recruiting center would answer them also.

Funny I couldn't find what  days he would parade on using the search function.  I hope the next time you ask any kinda question (such as your "Do we still use G-Wagon's?" one a little while ago) someone jumps in with the ever helpful 'Use the search function noob!'

Here is a link to the unit in Brampton - with some phone numbers.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/units-unites/unit-unite-eng.asp?id=227

also check out  www.forces.ca

and check the links to the different occupations in the Army.

cheers,
Frank

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I was told by my Co-op teacher i would go into the Lorne Scots regiment in November, althought on the website it said forms must be handed in by October. I'm geussing i should either call them up or dropby. Also I live in Brampton as i stated before; On this website http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/units-unites/unit-unite-eng.asp?id=227 it shows three different armouries around my area and Brampton would be closest, should i call them up and see if spots are available? Or i could join the reserves part-time since i'm 16. Please leave any info; its greatly appreciated. Matt

George Wallace said:
I did go to the forces website and it wasn't much help. Also George; me being new and active to this friendly community, you'd think you would have more self-respect for someone new to this website. -.- I really appreciate your warm welcome George Wallace.

matt101pwn said:
I did go to the forces website and it wasn't much help. Also George; me being new and active to this friendly community, you'd think you would have more self-respect for someone new to this website. -.- I really appreciate your warm welcome George Wallace.
Don't be a smartass and get all butt hurt.

Lol, i wasn't try to be. Just requesting some information and i feel i didn't need to be treated like that so i brought it up.

matt101pwn said:
Please leave any info; its greatly appreciated. Matt
This site has more than 10 years of discussions on the CF including recruiting.

Use the Search function

- Searched for Co-Op,  Results  2 pages of threads
- Searched for Application, Results 1 page of threads
- Searched for Lorne Scots, Results 3 pages of threads

Once you have a specific question that has not been asked, many people would be glad to assist you in finding the answer.

matt101pwn said:
i feel i didn't need to be treated like that.

Wow, you're going to love BMQ.  ::)

Seriously, grow thicker skin.  This is, after all, a "faceless" forum.  How are you going to react if someone says something like that directly to you?

matt101pwn said:
Lol, i wasn't try to be. Just requesting some information and i feel i didn't need to be treated like that so i brought it up.

Well thank George because he taught you your first lesson in the military.
You're going to be treated in ways which you will feel will be VERY unfair at times.
People will say things to you that will REEEEALLY piss you off and you won't be able to say shit back to them. Smile and nod (and wait your chance for revenge).
You also used self-respect in the wrong context  ;D

kratz said:
This site has more than 10 years of discussions on the CF including recruiting.

Use the Search function

- Searched for Co-Op,  Results  2 pages of threads
- Searched for Application, Results 1 page of threads
- Searched for Lorne Scots, Results 3 pages of threads

Once you have a specific question that has not been asked, many people would be glad to assist you in finding the answer.

I prefer posts (help)  like this.
People come to the site and ask a question.  Their answer could probably be found in the search. Instead of wasting everyones time with telling someone to use the search, you suggest someone uses the search and give them a helping hand ie. get them started with a quick search.

If someone continues to ask questions without doing a search then ya hammer them.

Me I've tried at times to use the search to find answers and it was like reading latin. There's shit everywhere and it doesn't make sense.
Using the simple basic search function may not be as easy for a young recruit or someone who isn't internet savvy.
Also sometimes people don't know the right question to ask, which is where the forum comes in handy.

Dude, figure out what unit(s) you might want to join, and call them up. They will have a recruiter who will be happy to pump you full of info. Even just say, I don't know sh*t and want to know what being in the reserves is like if you need to.

Not that I think jumping down peoples throats is best, but the info here will never be as solid as it is from active recruiters. The process can be so fickle that it's best to get it from the horses mouth, IMO.

K, so if I join the Brampton Armoury, I get my BMQ and training to go overseas, and if I want to go to regular force I just take an upgrade right?

matt101pwn said:
K, so if I join the Brampton Armoury, I get my BMQ and training to go overseas, and if I want to go to regular force I just take an upgrade right?
You might want to do a bit more research on what you're looking to do.

First, you have to get in.  Then you do BMQ, all that "army" stuff (sorry, they keep changing the names), trades training, etc before you can even think of applying to go on tour.  Then you have to actually be selected for a position on said tour, then do your tour training.

As far as going Regs after, it's a Component Transfer (CT), not an upgrade.

Back