• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Army Reserves Infantry at Age 46

They changed it about a month ago. From the CANFORGEN: AFTER COMPLETING BASIC MILITARY QUALIFICATION (BMQ), ONLY CRMN 00005, GUNNER 00368, AND CBT ENGR 00339, WILL ATTEND BMQ-L BEFORE PROCEEDING ONTO THEIR RESPECTIVE DEVELOPMENT PERIOD (DP) 1 TRAINING. If you are one of those trades you will do BMQ Land, note Infantry did not do BMQ Land because the training was already incorporated into the course.

Infantry DP1 starting in two weeks...a six week course....42 days. I expect that to be a challenge. Will update this thread after.

Also...have heard that BMQ-L has been cancelled. A lot of other trades on my BMQ had theirs cancelled. Apparently a restructuring is going on. Anyone officially know what is happening ?
Hey Truenorth101. How did DP1 go?

Hello...a quick update to my progress in the CAF.
I just returned last night from my 5 week BMQ course. The main takeaways for older recruits...
1. I was more than fit enough...I was definitely one of the more fit candidates. Many of the much younger guys were not able to match the standard. If you want to test you fitness level... run 5 KM under 30 mins. Ruck march (55lbs) 5km at 10 minutes / km. Push ups - 30. Plank holds 1-2 minutes.
2. Recovery - being older means needing more time to recover. The military doesn't really care how old you are as long as you can do what is asked / expected of you. Expect lack of sleep, a change in diet, and higher stress. To compensate bring protein powder, multi vitamin, omega 3, good ear plugs, a small pillow, and ibuprofen. Anything that you can use to speed you body to rest.
3. Being older was an asset. Many candidates are young - 17-25. Their life skills are still developing. Many are still living at home with their parents. Military life comes as shock to a lot of them. I found myself taking over the father figure to most of the younger kids. Be a positive example of hard work and perseverance. Get them thinking..."this old guys is doing it..."

Please feel free to DM me if you have any other questions, happy to help.
Hello, I am a 52 yr old female in the application process ( currently going for my medical in two weeks ) any other advice you have for the “older folk “ LOL
I wish to join the Air Force Res as a MSE
Thanks for your time

Hello, I am a 52 yr old female in the application process ( currently going for my medical in two weeks ) any other advice you have for the “older folk “ LOL
I wish to join the Air Force Res as a MSE
Thanks for your time
So ARes is not the same as regular reserves (army or navy). Air Reserves is more of a full time job, with all your courses being full time, and taskings are also full time.
Army reserves is part time (one night a week, one weekend a month) with potential for full time contracts. If you were joining the army as MSE Op (which makes way more sense to me for some reason), I would just say learn the difference between being sore and being broken. The training is hard on the body, and going camping with the CAF is very different than going camping on your own (even if you are used to roughing it).

You will be sore after every training weekend for the first little while, but it should improve. We had one guy who joined reserves when he was 55, and showed up at the MIR after the first weekend of BMQ claiming he got injured on BMQ. After an assessment, turns out he was just not used to the amount of physical labour they did that weekend, and sleeping on a cot was hard on his body. He wasn't broken, just sore. He couldn't seem to understand the difference.

So ARes is not the same as regular reserves (army or navy). Air Reserves is more of a full time job, with all your courses being full time, and taskings are also full time.
Army reserves is part time (one night a week, one weekend a month) with potential for full time contracts. If you were joining the army as MSE Op (which makes way more sense to me for some reason), I would just say learn the difference between being sore and being broken. The training is hard on the body, and going camping with the CAF is very different than going camping on your own (even if you are used to roughing it).

You will be sore after every training weekend for the first little while, but it should improve. We had one guy who joined reserves when he was 55, and showed up at the MIR after the first weekend of BMQ claiming he got injured on BMQ. After an assessment, turns out he was just not used to the amount of physical labour they did that weekend, and sleeping on a cot was hard on his body. He wasn't broken, just sore. He couldn't seem to understand the difference.
Thank you for your detailed reply.
I need to speak to my recruiter and figure out if the Army may be a better path for me as I have a full time (m-f) career. I can take time off for my BMQ and courses, pretty sure full time at both my civ career and the CAF wouldn’t work out lol.
I am no stranger to sleeping in uncomfortable places, I am sure the CAF is a whole different experience. I have been going to the gym 6x a week, with coaching 1x a week for about a year already.
I think I will be able to tell the difference between sore and hurt …I am very lucky, I don’t have any “ailments” so to speak.
I know it will be difficult at first getting used to everything, I hope to persevere !

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I need to speak to my recruiter and figure out if the Army may be a better path for me as I have a full time (m-f) career. I can take time off for my BMQ and courses, pretty sure full time at both my civ career and the CAF wouldn’t work out lol.
I am no stranger to sleeping in uncomfortable places, I am sure the CAF is a whole different experience. I have been going to the gym 6x a week, with coaching 1x a week for about a year already.
I think I will be able to tell the difference between sore and hurt …I am very lucky, I don’t have any “ailments” so to speak.
I know it will be difficult at first getting used to everything, I hope to persevere !

The Infantry be like....

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Back