• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Join the regular after being in the reserve

Nope.  Read the above again.

Who you know is irrelevant.  Unless you're best buddies with the Career Manager, knowing individual people isn't likely to count for anything.  At least not from what I've seen.

What matters is whether the Reg Force considers your training and experience to be equivalent to what they give their soldiers.  For example, a weekend BMQ is not the same as Reg Force BMQ in St Jean.  The St Jean course is much longer and contains things that don't get taught on the weekend BMQ course.  Although they both get called BMQ, they're actually different courses, based on different Course Training Plans.  Ditto for the reserve SQ course, and ditto for most (but not all) QL 3 courses.

Well I was Reserve Force Infantry for 2 years as of Jan 6 2007 (joined 2005) and I just accepted an offer for Reg Force Sig Op, recieved a BMQ+SQ bypass and a LOT of days counted as in... I'll get my first pay raise a lot sooner than a normal recruit to say the least!!!!

I think a huge portion of it has to do with your Prior Learning Assessment... They pulled my Section Commander and Course Officer's reports from my BMQ+SQ+BIQ, which were all pretty damn good. I always said attitude was everything. Even if I didn't DO the best and score in the top 1/3rd of the heap or what have you, I always showed good attitude and it was reflected in my reports. Attitude and aggression, some people aren't used to showing aggression. It's the bloody army for christ' sake! Grow a pair and be a bit vicious when required!

So, if you did crappy on your courses or had red chits etc back in the day when they apply etc, you might not get the bypasses???

Each course you take (and pass..) has a specific "course code" that is on your crse report, UER qual sheet, etc.

From what limited stuff I know of PLARs and the like, they can pull up that crse code, and see what POs/PCs were actually covered in your course.  As mentioned, "some" reserve courses are 'watered down' versions of the Reg Frce course, due to availability of training days and trainind aids (example, we used to teach Iltis as part of the Res Armd D & M portion of QL3, where the Reg crse taught MLVW.  Yes, that was years ago, but just used as an example.)

When you do your CT, they PLAR you, look at your qual's, compare them to the "now" factor (new CTPs and CTSs, Course Training Standard) and figure out 1) what POs/PCs you have done  and 2) what ones you NEED to do, if any to meet the requirements to be qual'd in your intended REg Frce MOC.  From what the folks at CFRC told me when I did my CT, doing a "straight" CT (going from Res MOC to same MOC in the Reg's) is much easier than if you do a CT with a OT (Occupational Transfer) as well, which is what I did, and took more time at the PLAR.

Well that does seem to make more sense. More logical.

Well goodluck to the rest of you who are doinga CT/OT etc etc...

from what Ive heard lately is there being more lenient with retaking the BMQ when transferring over. when i talked to my recruiter before i joined the reserves he said that more then likely  with a year in the reserves they would give you a by pass on the bmq but probably retake the SQ and trades course

For Combat Engineers with full 3's (res Sect Mbr Part A and B) they will on paper be posted directly to a unit as a Sapper with no further training required.

Just keep in mind, the Course Code factor.  When you look at your Reserve MPRR, all of the courses you have taken will be listed by their "Name" and also their Course Code.

This is what the folks that do PLARs have to work with.

If/when you do apply for a CT to the Reg's, ask you CoC or ROR/BOR/SOR, etc for a copy of your MPRR.  Make sure your UER is updated.  Have your Sgt/MCpl etc draw your Pers File and review it for your Course Reports. 

In short, make sure your Reserve admin/paperwork is up to date.  Having a course, but not having that course show up in MITE or on your files can cause some heartaches.

Do your part to make sure your stuff is up to snuff, and if not, to get it up to snuff.  I did, just because I was around long enough to think of this stuff after having some of the soldiers in my former Tp CT and we made sure their paperwork on "our" end was current and up to date. 

Team effort, and you are part of that team.

I got a recruit school bypass when I transfered to the reg force. I only had a year and 4 months in as a reserve.

Back