• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jewelry and the CF (in particular, necklaces)?

Future Prodigy

Inactive
Reaction score
I remember watching basic up were at one point a recruit was told to remove all jewelry, and in this instance it was a necklace. I was curious if this is the policy all the time? I ask because I wear a rosary necklace, that I also pray with, and was wondering what the policy was concerning it.

Yes, the only jewelry you may were as a male is your dog tags and a wedding band. As a female you can wear a stud earring in each ear.

The reasoning I suppose is two-fold;
a) it might get lost.
b) safety concerns.

I was told that if I had a simple gold or silver necklace with a cross on it that it would be acceptable. I have had the same necklace for almost 15 years and since joining have never been told to take it off. I was asked to take it out from my shirt and show them but other than that it was ok. Flashy necklaces or ones with a lot of beads are a no go. I would check and see what they want when you arrive.

What I regurgitated was the regs as I understand them. However, whether these are enforced everywhere you go is a different matter. People who work with machinery/moving parts will more than likely be told no necklaces, etc. People doing desk work, your WO or CSM probably won't give a toss how many necklaces and rings you want to wear.

However remember that your dog tags will snap under the right amount of weight, which will stop you from hanging yourself. Your own personal necklace is not designed to do that, most likely. It all comes down to a liability for the military, where they will have to pay you out a pension for an injury, or worse, on the job. It is like wearing non-issue ballistics and expecting the military to still cover you, it is not acceptable because the military has set a standard of what is acceptable and you must work within those parameters.

Here is the official regulation regarding jewelry:

JEWELLERY
6. The only jewellery that may be worn in
uniform shall be a wrist watch, a service-issued ID
tag, a Medical Alert chain identifier, a maximum of
two rings which are not of a costume jewellery
nature and a tie tack/clasp. Additional rings may
only be worn where they indicate professional
standing, such as an engineer, or are worn with a
wedding band as a single set indicating betrothal or
fidelity, e.g., an engagement or an anniversary ring.
Safety regulations should always prevail, especially
in workshops, warehouses or during operations.

a. In addition, female members in uniform
may wear a single pair of plain gold, silver
stud or pearl earrings in pierced ears. The
single stud earring, worn in the centre of
each earlobe, shall be spherical in shape
and shall not exceed 0.6 cm (1/4 in.) in
diameter. (For wear of white pearl earrings;
see Chapter 6, Annex E.) No other type of
earring shall be worn, except for a gold or
silver stud healing device of similar shape
and size, which may be worn while ears are
healing after piercing. Only a single earring
or healing device, worn in the centre of
each earlobe, may be worn at a time (see
Figure 2-2-3). When wearing civilian
clothes on military installations, only one
pair of unobtrusive earrings may be worn.

From Canadian Forces Dress Instructions, A-AD-265-000/AG-001

I do believe that there is also a difference made between 'jewelry' and items related to religion.

i.e. Sikhs can still wear a Kirpan and the Kara (steel bracelet) as well as respect the other 3 K's (Kesh, Kanga Kaccha) while in uniform. I've seen Christians with a small cross, Jews with a yarmulka, and Muslim men with beards, and women with a  head scarf.

Any Padres want to wade in on this, as the original question was about Rosary beads?? In Hoc Signo - where are ya???

All these are subject to operational/training necessities and requirements, of course.

For example, A Muslim on my BOTP was made to shave off his beard for course, as the instructors felt his beard might not work well with a gas mask for CBRN.

Back