• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)

CPP is based on contributions over your working life, with some low earning years dropped. OAS eligibility is already tied to minimum residency in Canada. EI benefits (non MATA/PATA) are terminated when individuals leave the country for more than a couple weeks.

So rules like that?

Part 1 is that Canada needs immigrants to continue to maintain its population and grow its economy
Is this an undeniable truth where Canada would start collapsing in a couple years if we didn't? Or could this be a mantra that's just been repeated for the last 20 or 40 years?

I know zero about our economy but it appears that we spend a lot of it outside of Canada. Trudeau just got back from a 2 day trip to Laos where be promised over $100M to Asian countries for who knows what. Our economy might do better if we started keeping more money in Canada.

It looks like we spend a lot of money on setting up immigrants and taking care of Asylum seekers et el. I've read $6000 - $8000 per month/family in the case of the latter. Immigrants who settle in and start contributing to Canada are going to help the economy but I'd be curious to see the net gain vs net loss.

and Part 2 is that the mass of immigrants to the country come from "non traditional" immigrant sources and who are bringing a diversity of culture to the country.
Some countries are real shit holes and parts of their culture leaves a lot to be desired. Honour killings, Bacha bazi, female genital mutilation, Rape Culture, and so on.

I'm picking out the negative aspects here but that's only to argue diversity isn't always positive. There is a lot when it comes to Islamic culture that we'd be better off not welcoming.

Is this an undeniable truth where Canada would start collapsing in a couple years if we didn't? Or could this be a mantra that's just been repeated for the last 20 or 40 years?
Yes. Look at the crisis that some countries are facing with a shrinking working class, aging population and low birth rates but also have low immigration rates for various reasons.
I know zero about our economy but it appears that we spend a lot of it outside of Canada. Trudeau just got back from a 2 day trip to Laos where be promised over $100M to Asian countries for who knows what. Our economy might do better if we started keeping more money in Canada.
Possibly. But sometimes spending abroad can minimise problems at home, open doors and get seats at certain tables. Unless we decide to radically shift our diplomatic strategies it is still something done by various countries.
It looks like we spend a lot of money on setting up immigrants and taking care of Asylum seekers et el. I've read $6000 - $8000 per month/family in the case of the latter. Immigrants who settle in and start contributing to Canada are going to help the economy but I'd be curious to see the net gain vs net loss.
I bet the net gain is more. Most immigrants and a lot of refugees are sponsored and provided for by non government entities,
Some countries are real shit holes and parts of their culture leaves a lot to be desired. Honour killings, Bacha bazi, female genital mutilation, Rape Culture, and so on.

I'm picking out the negative aspects here but that's only to argue diversity isn't always positive. There is a lot when it comes to Islamic culture that we'd be better off not welcoming.
And I would argue that most are trying to get away from those negative cultural things. Getting the balance right is no easy task. I have yet to have a negative encounter with anyone not born here. I currently have 5 people working with me directly that are all from various places and cultural areas that some might think are incompatible yet we make it work without any animosity or conflicts.

That doesn’t count the many I have worked with over the years either.

Last edited:
I guess that comes from what approach one takes. I see it from the point of view that Canada's birth rate has been declining and we are also at the point where the baby-boomer generation are reaching retirement age. That means the overall labour pool is contracting which has a detrimental effect on the economy. (He snidely comments that we could probably get by for a year or two if the civil service was contracted and released a few hundred thousand government workers into the general labour pool).

It actually hasn't been going on as long as twenty or forty years as the situations were different then and a much lower immigration rate was sufficient. Here's a short RBC article that discusses some of the issues and problems with the current immigration policies vis a vis future labour demands. It's not the number of immigrants but their make-up that's the real issue.

I think @Remius has answered the other points.

🍻

lenaitch:

Speaking only of the profession I was a member of,

Reciprocity from another province to Ontario is pretty daunting. As there is no shortage of candidates from Ontario colleges.

From another country. it may be theoretically possible - now. But, I never heard of it.

In the past, my employer did not even hire candidates from out of town.
Things like residency requirements for the vast majority of employers went out with the buggy whip.

I have two family members, born and raised in Ontario, who got their medical training in Ireland. Upon return, they were placed in the same pile as foreign nationals.

Post-retirement, I did background investigations for the Alcohol and Gaming Commission. The number of foreign born and trained doctors and other professions who were signing up to be blackjack dealers was disheartening. I understand that equivalency and fluency need to be determined but it shouldn't take years, particularly with some of the shortages we are experiencing. When 20% of your population does have a primary care provider, a whole lot of somebody's at the provincial level aren't doing their jobs, and I don't see how the feds can fix it.

Things like residency requirements for the vast majority of employers went out with the buggy whip.

I have two family members, born and raised in Ontario, who got their medical training in Ireland. Upon return, they were placed in the same pile as foreign nationals.

Post-retirement, I did background investigations for the Alcohol and Gaming Commission. The number of foreign born and trained doctors and other professions who were signing up to be blackjack dealers was disheartening. I understand that equivalency and fluency need to be determined but it shouldn't take years, particularly with some of the shortages we are experiencing. When 20% of your population does have a primary care provider, a whole lot of somebody's at the provincial level aren't doing their jobs, and I don't see how the feds can fix it.
From what I understand it is very costly to write equivalency exams especially in the medical field.

From what I understand it is very costly to write equivalency exams especially in the medical field.
Perhaps - I don't know about the costs involved. Their big challenge was residency slots, which are limited for 'foreign trained doctors'.

From this Oct 2023 article:

"Despite those challenges, roughly 1,000 Canadian doctors who went to school abroad are turned away every year because they can't get residency spots in Canada."

"But the medical schools that run residency programs still find room for foreign nationals from countries like Oman, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia — people who frequently have no intention of staying here to work over the long term."

Another popular one is health inspecting, because it’s only a 4 year degree in a similar field. I had family do that course in the early 2000s with such notables as a Russian brain surgeon and a couple other eastern European trained doctors.

This isn’t necessarily a Federal issue, this is a provincial/dr. association issue. Many of our programs be it the Red seal trades or drs groups do what they can to prevent people from being qualified except under the one or two specific paths they approve of.

It doesn’t matter to them whether or not you actually have the skills required to do the job, only that you followed their prescribed process to get to it.

In this case due to the effect it has on our healthcare our bureaucracies are literally killing us.

There are ways to fix it, such as establishing better control over the associations and provinces, mainly by controlling the purse strings. Money talks, it’s why we have ‘universal’ healthcare in the first place.

Right.

Still a few from that bygone era of yesteryear.

In Philadelphia, Prospective Municipal Employees Must Be City Residents for a Year Before Applying​

Same with my employer when I applied.

"Back when the Earth was cooling." as they say. lol

Yes. Look at the crisis that some countries are facing with a shrinking working class, aging population and low birth rates but also have low immigration rates for various reasons.
Can I cheat and ask you for some examples of those countries?

I don't really understand the mechanics behind this stuff. One source I read says birthrate in Canada has been dropping since 2009.
Our population in Canada has been steadily increasing.
Immigration to Canada has been mostly increasing since 2000, with it appearing to explode since 2021. [I'm guessing those numbers don't include our staggering refugees and asylum seekers as of late]

Despite the explosions in numbers, our birthrate continues to drop.

2020 population 37,928,208 - 10.224 births per 1000 people
2024 population 41,288,599 - 10.006 births per 1000 people.

My way of thinking is that our birth rate continues to drop (thus we "need" immigrants* to survive) because we keep bringing in more and more people. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. It's possible if we cut back on bringing so many people in our birth rate would actually be increasing.

*When I say immigrants I'm including refugees and asylum seekers.

Possibly. But sometimes spending abroad can minimise problems at home, open doors and get seats at certain tables.
Canada spent millions trying to get a seat at the UN security council which didn't pan out. Even were it to work I'm not sure what those seats will actually mean to Canadians.
$5.3B to the Philippines? Brutal. I'd prefer to accept the risk of not sending billions of tax dollars to all these countries and see how that impacts us in the long run. I can't really think of any problems all our spending outside of Canada minimizes at home for us living here.

I bet the net gain is more. Most immigrants and a lot of refugees are sponsored and provided for by non government entities
Probably a net gain. We're probably still wasting billions and could be smarter about it. Accepting asylum seekers for reasons such as being gay is ridiculous. That shouldn't be on tax payers. Buddy planning to mass murder jews in NY was seeking refugee status in Canada, we need to tighten the process up.

And I would argue that most are trying to get away from those negative cultural things.
I agree, but we're getting more than 'just a few' bad apples.

Getting the balance right is no easy task. I have yet to have a negative encounter with anyone not born here.

Shaked Tsurkan is a 14 year old Jewish immigrant who was filmed getting assaulted by another girl (who is Muslim) in NB this spring. Allegedly it was over the shit going in in Gaza. No idea idea if the assailant was born here or not but I think it goes beyond that, it's a matter of ideology being brought here and taking root here. Whether it's the death to jews club, white supremacism crap, gangsters of New Deli, it's all importing aspects of cultures what we don't need. Totally agree getting immigration right is no easy task, I'm just saying Diversity (tm) shouldn't be preached without pragmatism.

Can I cheat and ask you for some examples of those countries?
Japan.

Has a declining birth rate and isn’t keen on bringing in immigrants. So there they are.

South Korea.

Faster rates of decline than Japan but similar situation.

Plenty of others that could be listed (China, Nordic countries etc).

I don't really understand the mechanics behind this stuff. One source I read says birthrate in Canada has been dropping since 2009.
Our population in Canada has been steadily increasing.
The population is also living longer hence why it can still grow while birth rates drop.
Immigration to Canada has been mostly increasing since 2000, with it appearing to explode since 2021. [I'm guessing those numbers don't include our staggering refugees and asylum seekers as of late]

Despite the explosions in numbers, our birthrate continues to drop.

2020 population 37,928,208 - 10.224 births per 1000 people
2024 population 41,288,599 - 10.006 births per 1000 people.
Yes. Bringing in immigrants doesn’t solve the birth rate issue, it solves the population required to maintain the economy problem.
My way of thinking is that our birth rate continues to drop (thus we "need" immigrants* to survive) because we keep bringing in more and more people. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. It's possible if we cut back on bringing so many people in our birth rate would actually be increasing.
Not really because that isn’t the cause of a dropping birth rate.
*When I say immigrants I'm including refugees and asylum seekers.
Would be accurate to include those numbers.
Canada spent millions trying to get a seat at the UN security council which didn't pan out. Even were it to work I'm not sure what those seats will actually mean to Canadians.
$5.3B to the Philippines? Brutal. I'd prefer to accept the risk of not sending billions of tax dollars to all these countries and see how that impacts us in the long run. I can't really think of any problems all our spending outside of Canada minimizes at home for us living here.
It will likely close doors on the diplomatic front. Everything depends on what or where we try to exert what influence we can. And 5.3 billion isn’t going to the Philippines. A little research shows that that Philippines is now going to be one of five countries that that 5.3 Bn is going towards and that a good chunk of that 5.3bn is actually low interests loans. And over 5 years. So it’s not quite as some people are portraying it. It’s fine to criticize the why and what fors though.
Probably a net gain. We're probably still wasting billions and could be smarter about it.
Agreed. Like anything we should be more efficient at spending. Like the CAF for example. We waste a ton of money on things that we in the CAF would cry fou on if it was all cut.
Accepting asylum seekers for reasons such as being gay is ridiculous.
Why?
That shouldn't be on tax payers. Buddy planning to mass murder jews in NY was seeking refugee status in Canada, we need to tighten the process up.
There will always be crazies in any population. Including the domestic homegrown type.
I agree, but we're getting more than 'just a few' bad apples.
The way some are making it sound though is that they are “all” bad apples though.
Shaked Tsurkan is a 14 year old Jewish immigrant who was filmed getting assaulted by another girl (who is Muslim) in NB this spring. Allegedly it was over the shit going in in Gaza. No idea if the assailant was born here or not but I think it goes beyond that, it's a matter of ideology being brought here and taking root here.
Works in several directions. I had a troop this summer have his life threatened and told to go back to wherever because he was middle eastern. Accused him of siding with Hamas etc etc. He was just minding his own business but was in public in uniform. Old world grievances exists and how we handle it is important. I still have anglos born here bitch about me being Franco. No where near how it was when I was growing up but it still exists. Humans can be jerks.
Whether it's the death to jews club, white supremacism crap, gangsters of New Deli, it's all importing aspects of cultures what we don't need. Totally agree getting immigration right is no easy task, I'm just saying Diversity (tm) shouldn't be preached without pragmatism.
I think your last sentence is key.

Japan.

South Korea.

Faster rates of decline than Japan but similar situation.
Thanks I'll dig into it.
Yes. Bringing in immigrants doesn’t solve the birth rate issue, it solves the population required to maintain the economy problem.
Yeah, so bringing in immigrants doesn't solve birth rate issues (and possibly makes the numbers worse).

Regarding the economy I'd be curious to see the net gain/loss of bringing in the numbers we are. Also ancillary issues. Draw on health care, housing, food, education.

It will likely close doors on the diplomatic front. Everything depends on what or where we try to exert what influence we can.
Seems like we use money to open a lot of those doors. I don't have a lot of faith those doors actually lead anywhere.

And 5.3 billion isn’t going to the Philippines. A little research shows that that Philippines is now going to be one of five countries that that 5.3 Bn is going towards and that a good chunk of that 5.3bn is actually low interests loans. And over 5 years. So it’s not quite as some people are portraying it. It’s fine to criticize the why and what fors though.
Fair point. That's still $5.3B being sent outside of Canada. Are these loans routinely paid back? Not a lot of faith in our diplomatic practices, especially after Canada letting foreign interference fester under our noses while our MPs acted like privates when they hear work party mentioned.

1. Canadians aren't morally responsible for the behavior and actions of other countries. Nor do I think tax payers should be on the hook. We're not the world police and we have a lot of our own citizens who deserve help first.
2. It's a ridiculously easy excuse to justify asylum seeking status and very easy to abuse.

There will always be crazies in any population. Including the domestic homegrown type.
Right. We need to deal with both. More thoroughly vetting people coming to Canada is one way to mitigate problems.

The way some are making it sound though is that they are “all” bad apples though.
We're in the middle of just a few bad apples and all bad apples.

I think the reaction and support of Gaza we seen in Canada after 7 Oct 23 surprised some people.

Works in several directions. I had a troop this summer have his life threatened and told to go back to wherever because he was middle eastern. Accused him of siding with Hamas etc etc. He was just minding his own business but was in public in uniform. Old world grievances exists and how we handle it is important. I still have anglos born here bitch about me being Franco. No where near how it was when I was growing up but it still exists. Humans can be jerks.
Agreed. Lets be more careful with who we let in.

These figures really deal with the per woman fertility rate. On average the "replacement fertility rate" per woman is 2.3 live births in her lefetime. This rate keeps the population at a fixed level. Canada's current fertility rate is 1.33 which is significantly below the replacement fertility rate.

See here for the rates for most countries for 2024.

🍻

We also haven’t been above replacement birth rate since 1971, so this isn’t a new issue for Canada. This isn’t just millennials not having kids, this is multiple generations actively making that decision from baby boomer down.

And I would argue that most are trying to get away from those negative cultural things. Getting the balance right is no easy task. I have yet to have a negative encounter with anyone not born here.
As much as I have meet/worked with and married immigrants who I like. I have met quite a few I would rather they had never come here. Many of them try to set up here, the same shit they left behind. They are only interested in the economic gain they can realize, and no interests in our culture. Islam as currently preached and pushed is hardwired to take over and suppress other cultures and will do so using their methods and the tools available in each country.

Mantra. Canada's aging population profile is a strain - particularly on health care provision - but it's not going to collapse the nation. Nor would a gradually shrinking population. (A rapidly decreasing population might, but we don't have anything like a "one-child" policy.) The call for immigrants to increase productive output is a smokescreen for falling gross productivity; it can't conceal the more important number which is per capita productive output.
The fault is the same as with many policies - if it's good enough for certain people in a certain situation, it ought to be available to other people in similar situations. Researchers generally find that immigrants are, on net, industrious - usually, more industrious on net than non-immigrants. It should be obvious that elevating their circumstances so as to more quickly increase their productive output pays off later. But those same programs should be available to lift up anyone who needs that lift.

The problem with cultural quiffs is that Canada took a wrong turn by emphasizing "multiculturalism" rather than "assimilation", particularly civic assimilation. I don't mean that people have to throw off all the aspects of their culture, but they emphatically do have to throw off values and practices inconsistent with the natural and civil liberties and privileges we have. We ought to be hard-nosed about sending away the ones that don't. Sometimes the excuse "they're our problem now" will be advanced for those that have citizenship, but every naturalized citizen came from somewhere else and that place has a responsibility also. (Birth citizens are our problem.)

The problem with cultural quiffs is that Canada took a wrong turn by emphasizing "multiculturalism" rather than "assimilation", particularly civic assimilation. I don't mean that people have to throw off all the aspects of their culture, but they emphatically do have to throw off values and practices inconsistent with the natural and civil liberties and privileges we have. We ought to be hard-nosed about sending away the ones that don't. Sometimes the excuse "they're our problem now" will be advanced for those that have citizenship, but every naturalized citizen came from somewhere else and that place has a responsibility also. (Birth citizens are our problem.)
Amen

Just to further my comment from a few days ago, where I stated that I genuinely believe an organized, well coordinated, possibly decently resourced series of terror attacks within North America (predominantly in the US) will occur within the next 12 months, I found this nugget from a bit closer to home.

(Or maybe your back yard, literally, depending on where in the country you are...)

Just posting because it's relevant.

Remember, some of these arrests & successful investigations could be diversions, and if nothing else they will be lessons learned in how not to acquire their firearms... (others operating in the US with similar goals will undoubtedly take notice)

(I love that these Muppets still chat online with people they've never met before about their terrorism ambitions & then get caught. But I'm guessing the smart ones, or the ones connected with a cell, aren't being so careless and are most likely acquiring their weapons via agents or proxies)

It also wouldn't surprise me, sadly, if some of the firearms used in my 'imaginary scenario' get sourced directly from the US government, or possibly cartels operating in Mexico or the southern US. (Before anybody jumps on me for being a conspiracy nut, let's not forget...the US government was sending cartels Barrett .50 Cals only a few years ago under Operation Fast & Furious)

Back