• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a limit to the kind and amount to "kit" a member can have?

Twice a year eh?  Lucky you....my unit goes once a year....and we only do PWT 1, one year we did PWT 1 AND 2, lucky us eh? pfft.  Don't get me wrong, I love the reserves....but I love firing weapons, and wish we could go more often.

I'm on the local Combat Shooting Team, therfore I get out twice a week from April - Oct.

Maybe you should look into getting on your unit's shooting team?

Gilligan said:
Twice a year eh?   Lucky you....my unit goes once a year....and we only do PWT 1, one year we did PWT 1 AND 2, lucky us eh? pfft.   Don't get me wrong, I love the reserves....but I love firing weapons, and wish we could go more often.

Some of us get lucky though... last year I managed to do 4 C7 shoots and 3 C9 shoots, including PWT1/2/3 with the C7 (Qualified at marksman level) as well as low light shooting, and both day and night shoots with the C9. Now I'm trying to figure out some way to either get myself on a jungle lane, or get behind a fifty-cal (Admitedly the fifty is mostly a fantasy.)

To go back to the original question...  When it comes down to getting "extra" kits, I think that there is a few rules of thumbs:

- look around and ask the other "guys"
- uniform is uniform (ie, don't try to change what you are supposed to wear), on the "outside" anyway.  There are many regulations on this...
- the whole point is to make your life easier, not enter a spitting contest
- during your career, you will spend an arm and a leg in guccy kits that you will only use once or twice (or ultimately, replace by an even "gucchyer" piece of kit)
- that stuff will travel a lot...  and despite the "one-man-one-kit" policy, your stuff will still be handled by many people; most of them not paying to much care at not breaking it... (loadsmashers being some of them...  Flight Engineers coming close seconds)
- when issued kit breaks, you get it replaced, when your guccy kit breaks...
- You will already have a whole lot of issued kit that you won't know where to store
- Finally, no guccy kit until you are at your unit... 

My 2 cents worth.

Couldnt have said it better Laps

especially as a reserivst. figure out what the unit consensus is on gucci kit before you go and spend an arm and a leg on it. some units allow more then others.

cheers

Hey, at the end of the day, if you don't mind humping it..... fill your boots!!

Back