• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a Combat job in the Navy ?

Loachman said:
We had a guy in 444 Squadron (Lahr) whose concept of field defences was "Give the guy at the front desk a C7 and have him call me if anybody comes".

That's pretty aggressive, wouldn't just leaving him with a pistol have checked the local defences box for the estimate?

Michael O'Leary said:
That's pretty aggressive, wouldn't just leaving him with a pistol have checked the local defences box for the estimate?
But then the airman would have to carry the C7

Loachman said:
We had a guy in 444 Squadron (Lahr) whose concept of field defences was "Give the guy at the front desk a C7 and have him call me if anybody comes".

I would have loved to see that guy in a COP in Panjway...

Loachman said:

I was on a TacEval with 408 one year where they sited the the 8 sub-callsigns in some dead ground in a half ring with the ambulance in the centre.  The problem was that the C/S 8  defensive C9 was sited overlooking said callsigns with the ambulance as centre of arc, left being the Turbo Pods and right being the propane tanks from the flying kitchen... 

MM

Journeyman said:
Special Operations Forces -- a reference to this deservedly locked thread.

I think Soldier Of Fortune is more appropriate after reading some of the recruiting memes. :facepalm:

Boatswains are responsible for the small arms and you might get to close up on the 50. cal during action stations.

The fact is that when a ship goes into action, the whole ship fights.  Everyone has a role at Action Stations in defending the ship, repairing damage, fighting fires or handling weapons, but only the Boarding Party is likely to see hand to hand type fighting.  Anybody can be in the Boarding Party.

Pusser said:
The fact is that when a ship goes into action, the whole ship fights.  Everyone has a role at Action Stations in defending the ship, repairing damage, fighting fires or handling weapons, but only the Boarding Party is likely to see hand to hand type fighting.  Anybody can be in the Boarding Party.

I see that you have never done a port visit to either Prince Rupert or Port Hardy.  Both are usually an all ship evolution... ;)

SeaKingTacco said:
I see that you have never done a port visit to either Prince Rupert or Port Hardy.  Both are usually an all ship evolution... ;)

Thanks for mentioning those places.  Months of psych therapy down the drain...

SeaKingTacco said:

Not true.  I've been to both.  For some however, that interaction is more for entertainment.  Me, I've tried to blot them out of my memory....

Journeyman said:
But then the airman would have to carry the C7
Air Force carry C7 Right, C7 locked in desk or closest PP&S cabnet.
BTW most Hotels/CP's get upset when they see CLP stains on the bed spread

I can post a few pictures of my RCAF friends doing routine patrols in Afghanistan. All carrying either C7 or C8, full combatload, plus technical packs.

SeaKingTacco said:

Prince Rupert was my very first port visit :P It was boring, however we never had enough time to get out and explore the wilderness which is the real beauty of Prince Rupert. The things you see, even along the coast of British Columbia are amazing.

Join the Navy, see the World.

Or at least the more interesting parts of the Canadian coastline.

cupper said:
Join the Navy, see the World.

Or at least the more interesting parts of the Canadian coastline.

Better yet join the RCAF, I see the coastline and I am home for supper.
Scenery wise nothing beats flying up inlets, so low you have to look up to see the mountain tops.

As for seeing the world, what better way than from the mighty CP-140

Journeyman said:
He wasn't drawing a comparison; he said "... so if close combat be your thing, stick with Infantry." Artillery has to move forward for laundry and showers, and the tankers try to avoid having bad guys up close and personal, making Infantry the "close combat thing"....as in, "to close with and destroy the enemy."

But thanks for playing along -- I'm sure we have some lovely parting gifts.  ;D

Really?  seems to me the OP that I responded to did:

JakeToynton said:
I want to join the Canadian Forces after high school and I am strongly thinking about going to the army. But I wanted to know does the Navy have any combat units ? all I see on the Canadian Forces website is technicians and operators. Is there a Combat unit like infantry from the army ?

maybe you should keep your parting gift.

CountDC said:
Really? 
Read the post by Oldgateboatdriver, to which I inferred [damn, two syllables; I'll lose you again], and try to follow the discussion [OMG, three].  ::)

Going on leave in Toronto? On QL3 my Course Sgt. offered to loan me his flak jacket when he found out the hostel I was staying at was near Spadina and King. ;D

Back