• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a Combat job in the Navy ?

JakeToynton

Inactive
Reaction score
I want to join the Canadian Forces after high school and I am strongly thinking about going to the army. But I wanted to know does the Navy have any combat units ? all I see on the Canadian Forces website is technicians and operators. Is there a Combat unit like infantry from the army ?

that doesnt anwser my question :/ ?, i mean are there units from the navy that go off ship and fight or go take down other ships that are smuggling drugs, weapons etc

The boarding party does something similar to that.

But you don't join as a boarding party member, you have to choose job first.

I choose Captain as a starting posn.  >:D

JakeToynton said:
that doesnt anwser my question :/ ?, i mean are there units from the navy that go off ship and fight or go take down other ships that are smuggling drugs, weapons etc

You got part of the answer above:

Boarding party, but also  Demolition party and Harbour Defence Units.

However, they are made up of the various tradesmen and officers that are otherwise employed in their trades and only get to do this "fighting" on a part time and limited basis... so if close combat be your thing, stick with Infantry - cause in the Navy, we like to fight at long range (the longer the better) with stand off weapons such as missiles, torpedoes, heavy (???) guns, etc.

You do of course realize that in the Navy, the ship is for the most part a Combat Unit

Or you could join the Navy then transfer to SOF. Oh, hang on, you may have to wait two years.  >:D

No - the ship is more like artillery, maybe even armoured,  than infantry if you need to draw a comparision to the army units.

George Wallace said:
You do of course realize that in the Navy, the ship is for the most part a Combat Unit

So... in the Air Force, the hotel is for the most part a CP?

ME

CountDC said:
No - the ship is more like artillery, maybe even armoured,  than infantry if you need to draw a comparision to the army units.
He wasn't drawing a comparison; he said "... so if close combat be your thing, stick with Infantry." Artillery has to move forward for laundry and showers, and the tankers try to avoid having bad guys up close and personal, making Infantry the "close combat thing"....as in, "to close with and destroy the enemy."

But thanks for playing along -- I'm sure we have some lovely parting gifts.  ;D

Sigs Pig said:
So... in the Air Force, the hotel is for the most part a CP?

We had a guy in 444 Squadron (Lahr) whose concept of field defences was "Give the guy at the front desk a C7 and have him call me if anybody comes".

Loachman said:
We had a guy in 444 Squadron (Lahr) whose concept of field defences was "Give the guy at the front desk a C7 and have him call me if anybody comes".

We have a winner folks. 8)

Back