• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Introduction and question.

NCM-MP

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen (and ladies!)

First, I'd like to thank all you guys for the wonderful wealth of knowledge here, it's helped me a lot in reviewing the option to join the Canadian forces.

I applied to the Canadian Forces as an NCM Military Police member roughly 2 months ago. The process went smoothly, testing, interview, and medical all went perfect... or so I thought. A few things did come up during my Medical, as I've been a pretty accident prone child. The one thing that came up, and I wasn't too worried about was an allergy to bee and hornet stings (Not wasps). I had testing done and the paperwork filled out, as it all seemed pretty routine. Confirmed I have a moderate allergy to these stings... well, long story short my allergist put the paperwork through, and said all of it seemed routine...

On to the nitty-gritty: all this was submitted 2 weeks ago, and I've just received a letter in the mail stating because of these allergies I am not 'medically fit' for duties as an NCM or Reserve member. Now if this is the final judgement, and they believe I could be a danger to the people I'm posted with, or to myself while being posted, so be it. But I have been given the option to call and talk to my medical tech concerning their decision and an option to talk, and I intend to tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone knew what my options were, whether I could get retested, as maybe my Doctor was unclear as per my allergy, I've been stung 9 times in my life, and only brought in to the hospital twice, and never been given epi. I realise this is a pretty complex question. But I'd really rather not giving up on my chance at getting into the forces, as it's always been an aspiration of mine.

I appreciate any insight you guys may have towards my situation, even if it is a "Case-by-case, go ask the recruiter!) :)
Thanks in advance,
-NCM-MP

You have the opportunity to appeal decisions that you do not agree with, but remember that the CF have strict policies on everything. It may have been miscommunication at some level, but either way, you have the opportunity to sort it out with medical staff.

There's a member in my unit who is allergic to bees and has used an epi-pen before so I find it odd that a bee allergy is keeping you out of the CF

Globemaster said:
There's a member in my unit who is allergic to bees and has used an epi-pen before so I find it odd that a bee allergy is keeping you out of the CF

With the long lineups of people trying to join the CF today, there may be more likelihood that a healthy person will be selected over one who is not as healthy.  Your member, mentioned in the quote, may have developed an allergy after being in the CF for some time, or (s)he may have joined at a time when few wanted to join the CF and medical standards were not as stringent. 

Just food for thought.

It is frustrating when people bring up the "Well, I know someone who is currently serving in the CF who has (Crohn's/bee sting allergy/food allergy/penicillin allergy/etc.) so I don't know why I can't join with it" argument. 

Enrolment medical standards are high for a reason.  If someone develops (or discovers) an affliction such as those above after the CF has spent thousands of dollars and person-hours of training on them, it is reasonable that members with those ailments may be considered for retention. 

George Wallace said:
With the long lineups of people trying to join the CF today, there may be more likelihood that a healthy person will be selected over one who is not as healthy.  Your member, mentioned in the quote, may have developed an allergy after being in the CF for some time, or (s)he may have joined at a time when few wanted to join the CF and medical standards were not as stringent. 

Just food for thought.

Ah I never considered that. Sorry for my comment then and best of luck with your appeal process!

Globemaster said:

Of course, everyone who posts on here about their "mild" medical condition has always been 100% accurate in their description and always gives full details right ?

Back