• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

International Fleet Review (Halifax)

What you saw on the officer's shoulder is an Aiguillette: It is the insignia that identifies this officer as an ADC (Aide de Camp). In this case, likely a Lcdr or Cdr as ADC to her majesty.

Also sometimes known as "chicken guts,"  the origin of the aigulette is that it represents the two ropes with pegs on the ends (if you look at modern ones, yes, there are pegs), carried by the squire for a knight.  One rope was to hobble the knight's horse and the other the squire's.  Over time it became a badge of office for aides to senior commanders. 

I work just over in Clayton Park and was going to try to find somewhere to take in some of the show today, but as luck had it I got tied up and just saw the end of it streaming CBC.

I was down on Sunday and touried the USS Wasp, HMS Ark Royal (my grandfather sailed on WW2 Ark Royal, fortunately had been transferred just before it sunk), HDMS Ejnar Mikkelson (pretty neat little ship, actually), HMCS Toronto, and BNS Independencia.  All interesting tours though you don't really get to see much.  Ark Royal and Wasp definitely had the best organized tours, lots of displays to see and good crowd control.  Overall my father and I had a great time, found most of the sailors (and Marines in the case of Wasp) to be great to talk to, all enjoying their time in Halifax.

Independencia was interesting, but it definitely was not set up for pleasure tours, and virtually none of the crew spoke English, fortunately my fast-fading Spanish and a smattering knowledge of Portuguese helped.

I'm going back tomorrow to see HDMS Absalon and whatever else I can get aboard.

I was busy taking photos all over HRM (Dartmouth side, Dockyard, Halifax Pier, Africaville, and Bedford Basin), before meaking my way to Sackville Landing for the Queen's arrival. I should have the photos uploaded early next week when I arrive home. Spending Canada Day here before the drive back.

I tried to offer a Tim's to the shuttle driver, must not have been you TN2IC  ;D

Here are a selection of the photos from the IFR that I was able to take:

HMCS Charlottetown, HMCS Shawinigan, Sea King 416
IFRHMCSCharlottetownHMCSShawiniganS.jpg

HMCS St John's passing FGS Karlsruhe in the review
IFRHMCSStJohnsreviewinBedfordbasinp.jpg

HDMS Absalon, SNMG1 ready for IFR
IFRshipsatanchorHDMSAbsalon.jpg

HMS Royal Ark set for the IFR
IFRshipsatanchorHMSRoyalArk.jpg

USS Wasp in Halifax Harbour for IFR
IFRshipsatanchorUSSWasp.jpg

HRH crossing HMCS St John's brow
IFRSackvilleLandingQueendepartingHM.jpg

HRH departing Sackville Landing
HRHQueenElizabethleavingSackvilleLa.jpg

Edit: To correct FGS Karlsruhe vice BNS Independencia, as noted.  ;)

From other online sources, I found news.sky.com has a dozen photos of the IFR as well.

Edit: To add the Canadian Press has a short video clip of the IFR online as well.

Kratz.  I think that might be the FGS Karlsruhe, not the BNS Independencia.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats a German Flag it's flying

Yes that is Karlsruhe on the right, and Montreal on the left. I was on the focsle of Montreal when that was taken.

Thank you.

Switching screens does that to a person. I've corrected the error.

Back