• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Inspirational Letter to an Editor

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn't normally post something like this. I found it courtesy of Spotlight on Military News, but couldn't find it on the source's website.

It's extremely well written, but it's the surprise at the end that got me.

http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/printArticle/92782

We need to be there for our troops
Sun Jan 27, 2008

By: By Bryan Jackson

We stood there waiting the first time for just over an hour, holding the Canadian flag with pride over the cars that sped past us.

My family and I stood on the bridge at Simcoe Street and we watched as the crowd started to grow.

I can’t explain to you the pride the people felt waving their flags to the passing cars. Every car and truck that passed was honking their horn as the people waved.

Many stopped and asked, ”Hey, what is the crowd here for?” Many of them didn’t know that one of our fallen soldiers was now back on Canadian soil and making his final journey home.

Next, the fire truck pulled up and parked right on the bridge behind us. The firefighters climbed onto the truck to stand with pride and pay their respects to one of Canada’s war heroes. With my sister and I holding our Canadian flag over the bridge, something did not just seem right so I asked my parents if I could give our flag to one of the firefighters to hold onto while they were on top of their truck.

The firefighter held on to that flag with great pride. While we were there, we also had the honour of having a few veterans from the Royal Canadian Legion join us. They know the meaning of serving this country all too well.

The veterans handed everyone there a poppy to put on. Within a matter of minutes you could hear the sirens in the distance. All of a sudden, silence fell over the crowd and you could see the police cars approaching with their sirens on.

There were two police cars in front of the hearse and one beside it. Behind the hearse were two limousines, followed by another two police cars transporting the family of the fallen soldier.

I watched as many of the veterans saluted the hearse as it passed by. What was most emotional to my family was when the people in the limousines waved to those standing on the bridge as they drove by on their mournful journey. They were thanking us for our support.

Within a matter of minutes it was all over.

Never have I felt so proud to be a Canadian. As we walked to the car, we walked as a family. My father was holding my mother’s hand. I could hear them talking about how that man’s family must feel, knowing that they will never see their son again.

Along with their deep sorrow, they felt pride knowing that he had been over there doing something that he believed in, serving his country.

We have gone down to that bridge many times since then to pay our respects to the other soldiers who have lost their lives fighting for peace.

Now ask yourself: Is there anything that we as Canadians can do to show our support for our troops?

It has been suggested that we all wear red on Fridays in honour of our soldiers. Many people here in Canada feel that we should just bring them home. But whether you think they should be over there or not, I feel it is our duty to support them.

They are someone’s husband, wife, brother, sister, son or daughter. The best thing we can do for our soldiers is to keep them in our hearts and pray that they make it home safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bryan Jackson is a 12-year-old Oshawa resident. This is his first submission to this space.

:cdn: Thank- you Bryan, you are certainly a credit to your generation.  :cdn:  :salute:

krustyrl said:
:cdn: Thank- you Bryan, you are certainly a credit to your generation.   :cdn:   :salute:
+1 krustyrl
and thank you Loachman for sharing this with us.

Brilliant young man.

I hope Bryan's parents are proud of him - and themselves. They are raising a fine young man.  :salute:

:cdn:
Hawk

12?!?!  Good on ya bud!
(can we get his number to a recuiter??)  ;)

Very touching letter.........He'll have to wait at least four years before he can join the Reserves though.  Five for the Regs.

I wrote back to the editor thanking him.

wow.  "Out of the mouths of babes" as someone once said....

I didn't even clue in at the line "I asked my parents if I could give the flag to the firefighters".  Good letter.  I guess the future isn't that dim.

The following letter to the Editor appeared in my local paper. I thought it was worthy of inclusion in this forum. I don't know this young man or his family, but I could not be prouder of of him he he was my own son. I post it with the usual caveats.

We stood there waiting the first time for just over an hour, holding the Canadian flag with pride over the cars that sped past us.
My family and I stood on the bridge at Simcoe Street and we watched as the crowd started to grow.
I can’t explain to you the pride the people felt waving their flags to the passing cars. Every car and truck that passed was honking their horn as the people waved.
Many stopped and asked, ”Hey, what is the crowd here for?” Many of them didn’t know that one of our fallen soldiers was now back on Canadian soil and making his final journey home.
Next, the fire truck pulled up and parked right on the bridge behind us. The firefighters climbed onto the truck to stand with pride and pay their respects to one of Canada’s war heroes. With my sister and I holding our Canadian flag over the bridge, something did not just seem right so I asked my parents if I could give our flag to one of the firefighters to hold onto while they were on top of their truck.
The firefighter held on to that flag with great pride. While we were there, we also had the honour of having a few veterans from the Royal Canadian Legion join us. They know the meaning of serving this country all too well.
The veterans handed everyone there a poppy to put on. Within a matter of minutes you could hear the sirens in the distance. All of a sudden, silence fell over the crowd and you could see the police cars approaching with their sirens on.
There were two police cars in front of the hearse and one beside it. Behind the hearse were two limousines, followed by another two police cars transporting the family of the fallen soldier.
I watched as many of the veterans saluted the hearse as it passed by. What was most emotional to my family was when the people in the limousines waved to those standing on the bridge as they drove by on their mournful journey. They were thanking us for our support.
Within a matter of minutes it was all over.
Never have I felt so proud to be a Canadian. As we walked to the car, we walked as a family. My father was holding my mother’s hand. I could hear them talking about how that man’s family must feel, knowing that they will never see their son again.
Along with their deep sorrow, they felt pride knowing that he had been over there doing something that he believed in, serving his country.
We have gone down to that bridge many times since then to pay our respects to the other soldiers who have lost their lives fighting for peace.
Now ask yourself: Is there anything that we as Canadians can do to show our support for our troops?
It has been suggested that we all wear red on Fridays in honour of our soldiers. Many people here in Canada feel that we should just bring them home. But whether you think they should be over there or not, I feel it is our duty to support them.
They are someone’s husband, wife, brother, sister, son or daughter. The best thing we can do for our soldiers is to keep them in our hearts and pray that they make it home safe.

Wow, 12 years old. At that age I was a drooling idiot, actually I still am...

Now this is a story that should be on the front page of every newspaper in the country.His parents are doing an outstanding job.

Another great Canadian!  Thank you to him and his family for showing our military family support.

That one choked me up . I'll bet this young man has great parents.

This was my son who wrote this article,and yes we are very proud of Bryan,but what makes Bryan feels so great is the respect and kind words you all have given him.Bryan and his two older sisters are involved in the Air Cadet Program,and let me tell you what a great program this is for the young people of our country.Bryan would like nothing more then finding a penpal of someone who is serving right now or that has served for this country of ours.You can reach Bryan by contacting me Jim at (edited to remove email addy).:cdn:

Please contact Jim via PM to obtain the email addy if you wish to contact Bryan.

Jim: I have edited your post to remove your email addy from the public domain. Unfortunately, this site has been visited by spammers in the past who never miss an opportunity to avail themselves of legitimate email addys to enable themselves to perpetuate their spam.

And kudos to you for raising a fine young man.  :)

Veronica
The Milnet.ca Staff

Back