• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I want to join the army.

2137Cadet

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 15 and I want to join the army. I'm in army cadets already and getting physically fit for when I do join the rugular force. A question I have is if I have glasses what happens? will I get put into a different job(I want to be in infrantry) or will they give me some combat glasses or will I keep my old ones? I'm slightly far-sighted if you need to know.

Well since you're only 15 you can't even apply to join the reg force yet. Why not look into the reserves when you turn 16? You might be able to join an Infantry reserve unit depending on where you live and if there are spots open. No telling if reg force Infantry will open up by the time you're old enough to join the reg force and finish high school, but it might not happen.

With regards to your glasses, there are plenty of guys in the army who wear them (myself included) and I'm in an Armored Recce reserve unit. You can also get inserts for your ballistic eye wear that can let you see if you don't want to damage your regular glasses. 

Yeah, well let my rephrase my first sentence. I meant when I'm 17 or 18 I want to join the regular force. And Thanks for telling me about the glasses.

It really depends how bad your eyes are as well. During the recruiting medical, the CF will determine your vision category. You will be restricted from going into certain trades based on your results. For example, I have -4.5 in one eye and was put in V4 so I'm restricted from any combat arms trades (infantry, armoured...etc)

My eyes aren't that bad, my docter said I'm right on the line for getting glasses and it was my choice if I wanted them or not. So I think I can get into a combat role.

2137Cadet said:
my docter said I'm right on the line for getting glasses and it was my choice if I wanted them or not.

Never heard that before.

I've got glasses and I'm in the infantry.  Its really not a big deal.  The worst is having to do the CBRN training on your BMQ.  Having to take off glasses costs valuable seconds when trying to put your mask on.  The other inconvenience is stashing your glass when having to put on your BEW.

ONT said:
Never heard that before.

It's not that uncommon.  I've had glasses for 17 years and my lenses have only needed to be changed twice.  The last time I got my eye test done the optometrist told me the only reason to get my lenses updated was if I wanted new frames.  Basically the same thing the OP experienced.

Back