• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Safe Are You Facebooking....

Flawed Design said:
I believe it. I have a friend who got jacked up by his chain of command in Canada due to a picture of him on facebook in Afghanistan unshaven  ::)

I've also heard of suggestions for leadership to creep soldiers profiles. Pictures of soldiers doing illegal things like smoking drugs in civilian attire next to pictures of them in uniform, totally agree. But a friend of mine in Toronto got ordered to go through soldiers face book profiles who didn't attend a weekend exercise with the reserves.

On the one hand, if you're posting pictures of yourself doing somthing illegal, you only have yourself to blame, but on the other hand, I'm willing to have enough faith in my troops to stay away from such absurdidty... I'd go so far as to suggest that such a thing might be considered harrasment....

How Safe Are You Facebooking....
... or how much infos about you on the web ...

Law Students Teach Scalia About Privacy and the Web

18link01-190.jpg

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

“TEACHING moment.” A nice, hopeful phrase describing lessons learned from real life that help
illuminate an academic subject — the opposite of “book learning.”

This spring, the students of an elective course on Internet privacy at Fordham Law School expe-
rienced a number of fascinating “teaching moments” during an assignment meant to demonstrate
how much personal information is floating around online.

The assignment from the class’s professor, Joel R. Reidenberg, was, admittedly, a bit provocative:
create a dossier about Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia from what can be found on the Internet.
Why Justice Scalia? Well, the class had been discussing his recent dismissive comments about Internet
privacy concerns at a conference. His summation, as reported by The Associated Press: “Every single
datum about my life is private? That’s silly.”

A gauntlet of sorts had been thrown down — though Professor Reidenberg said in an interview that he
would disagree with that interpretation. The assignment, he said, was “not about embarrassing anyone,
not about targeting Scalia in the sense of choosing him because of anything about his work on the court.”
(He was also quick to point out that the year before, the assignment focused on himself.)

Justice Scalia was a natural choice — a highly public figure with good reason to guard his privacy. Good
luck, for example, finding a direct phone number for his chambers.

Yet the class managed to create a dossier of 15 pages, Professor Reidenberg reported to a
conference on privacy at Fordham, that included the justice’s home address and home phone number,
his wife’s personal e-mail address and the TV shows and food he prefers.

How could there not be an aspect of poetic justice in creating the dossier: Still think the issue is “silly,”
your honor? Teaching moments, after all, are not only for students.

(rest of article on above link)

I agree with JBoyd. Facebook, for me anyway, is more problems than it is worth so I deleted mine as well.

This scares the hell out of me! How does a potential employee or the recruiting people actually see pictures on a profile if you have restrictions on who is allowed to see them?

You may have privacy restrictions on your account protecting the photos and data you posted, but that doesn't mean that all of your friends who have posted drunken photos of you have been similarly careful. Or their friends, etc.  And once a tagged photo is released into the wild, you have no control over who might find it.

I recognise the dangers of submitting too much information to online data aggregators, but I think too many people discount the possibility that a skilled investigator could find nearly everything that facebook could (and potentially more) given adequate funds and time.  My guess is unless you're skilled in counter-espionage, you probably give away more than you realise.

not sure how to properly post news posts but here is a link :)

Iran election: state moves to end 'Facebook revolution'

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6497569.ece

Well there you go George, soon to be a job opening at Vauxhall Cross for you...

I hate the fact that these days, even if you don't use facebook, your picture can end up there still without you knowing. I recently had someone find over 20 pictures of me that were taken at random events, and most without my knowledge. As long as they can't put a name to the face, I suppose...

Worse still, some within the CF/DND are so ignorant to IT security that it's sad. Simple stuff like NOT putting threat assessments and weapons transport routes in open drives where anyone can view them....NOT using a photocopier to scan documents classified above what that machine is rated to take...NOT connecting third party USB devices into the computers...I guess everyone gets to go home at the end of the day, so who cares right?

There are still many people out there who are either technophobes or techno-ignorant, and even more who think they are techno-invulnerable. 

For most people it is only after this has affected their lives that they change their way of thinking (i.e. stalkers, ID theft, hacked account, etc...)

Facebook violates Canadian privacy law: watchdog
While Facebook has agreed to adopt some recommendations laid out by Canada's Privacy Commissioner, it still falls short on a number of user privacy recommendations, said Jennifer Stoddart in a report released Thursday.
Article Link

The privacy commissioner launched a probe of Facebook's privacy practices in response to a complaint last year from the Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic.

"Canadians truly need to know what they are getting into when joining Facebook and should be able to control the information they share," said Stoddart at a news conference on Thursday. "We found serious privacy gaps in the way the site operates."

Facebook, which has nearly 12 million Canadian users, allows people to keep in touch with friends and family by updating their personal pages with fresh messages and photos.

The investigation into its privacy practices has been ongoing for 13 months, and Facebook is working with Canada's privacy office to address some concerns.

"We urge Facebook to implement all of our recommendations to further enhance their site, ensure they are in compliance with privacy law, and ultimately show themselves as models of privacy," says Assistant Commissioner Elizabeth Denham, who led the investigation on behalf of Canada's privacy office.

More at link

Privacy Commissioner's news release
http://www.priv.gc.ca/media/nr-c/2009/nr-c_090716_e.cfm

and full report
http://www.priv.gc.ca/cf-dc/2009/2009_008_0716_e.cfm

if you want to see the source document.

Reading this news item shows personal internet security is not just on just for you, but your loved ones as well.

Shared from WCVB TV - The Boston Channel

Mother Finds Own Child For Sale Online
Officials Investigate Apparent Adoption Scam
POSTED: 8:28 am EDT August 1, 2009
UPDATED: 3:30 pm EDT August 1, 2009

ABINGTON, Mass. -- The dangers of the Internet struck home for an Abington mother when she found her own child for sale on Craigslist as part of what appears to be an international adoption scam.

Seven-month old Jacob Brennan was busy playing with toys when his mother, Jenni, got what she called a shocking e-mail.

"Out of the blue some girl e-mailed us and said 'I think you should know someone's using Jake's picture in an adoption scam'," said Brennan, who said she found the message hard to believe.

Brennan followed the link included in the e-mail and found an ad on the Craigslist Web site. The ad promised that a "cute baby boy" was available for adoption, but did not include a picture.

Brennan decided to play detective and sent an e-mail to the address listed. She quickly received a picture in her inbox.

"The picture he sends you is a picture of Jake," Brennan said. "It was horrifying. I never would have thought in a million years that I would have the emotional reaction that I did."

The e-mail claimed her son is Canadian born and living at an orphanage in Cameroon and said that for $300 she could begin the adoption process.

"Then it was my child and I realized he was being used in a scam. I got really angry, incredibly angry," she said.

Brennan discovered that the picture was taken from her own family blog.

"I know other people had access to it, but I didn't think anyone would really want to (take the picture from it)," she said.

Brennan called both the FBI and the Massachusetts Attorney General's office. Yahoo told her they have now shut down the e-mail account used in the posting.

Brennan has also now restricted access to her family blog.

As nice as it is to link with old friends and family... my personal experience... Facebook was just a successful tracking device >:( but live and learn!

gunshy said:
As nice as it is to link with old friends and family... my personal experience... Facebook was just a successful tracking device >:( but live and learn!

I'm curious as to who you think is tracking you on Facebook?  And would this be on a daily basis or just intermittently?

I'm curious as to who you think is tracking you on Facebook?  And would this be on a daily basis or just intermittently?

My EX... In my experienced it was relentless for the time I was on it. I used all privacy blocks and always made sure no "common friends". As it turned out he did not have a profile (to my knowledge) but obviously found an avenue to access me, my comments and my movements etc. To this day I don't know where the "link" was as my friends where all from my home town High School and no one he would know. I just learned it's not bullet proof! No matter what I "shared" within hours I'd either receive a call or he would just show up where I was or where I was going to be.
The last straw... I had a weekend trip planned with the g/f's to Niagara Falls, more then 2.5 hours away. We arrived, unpacked went for supper and while I was waiting for my food got the call asking if I was there... he was across the street on the next block. :o I posted on fb that morning prior to leaving where I was going... When I returned home, I closed my account.
This was my own personal experience... it was fun  :nod: connecting with old friends etc. while it lasted... until the stalking behaviour started.  :( I guess I've just become more guarded as to what I put on the net now and live a more discrete life. If that's what it takes to keep me safe and bring peace to my life... I'm ok with it!  ;)

Some of these changes have been recently implemented, especially in regard to control of game-related applications and access to Facebook account information from third-party applications.

Regarding the quizzs and other on-line forms run as third party applications, many of these have been suspected of being methods for email address harvesting and/or ID theft for quite a while, and wariness should be common knowledge for every person who uses social networks; but apparently its not...

I like facebook mainly as an useful tool to keep track of friends and family without needing to constantly email and call them which I am not a fan of. Yet, I take measures of not revealing my contact info beyond facebook and webmail. Same with rest of online.

Of course, knowing how the internet is like, even if I never used the internet, information can still be found on me posted by friends, organizations and events I have been part of, local news stories, and even by some levels of government. Worried that the CIA gets your info through Facebook? They can get through Google easily enough.

Best one can do is not post anything you do not want the public, work, friends, and family to know about, and then regularly look yourself up online and find as much information about yourself, so your not caught by surprised, and possibly see if that information can be removed from easily being searched by google. If your one of those that uses the internet a lot for various reasons, compartmentalize your info, use different usernames and IDs, and limit them only to related info.

As for military related stuff, so far limit it to this message board and one other only. I intend to keep friends via facebook as ignorant in that regard, and then see how long that last if and when I get accepted into the CF.

Oh, talking about googling yourself and others...does milnet.ca and related sites take any measures to prevent google and other search engines to link posts and profiles?

Back