• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How much will i be paid?

I have applied AVN tech.  Let's say I am done BMQ and being sent to Trenton for course, which is somewhere around 16 months.  Will this be considered a posting?  IE would I be moved there with my wife and daughter?  Some people on here say that you might have to live in barracks for a certain period of time is this true and how long?  The reason I ask is the recruiters I have been in contact with have said that after BMQ I would be entitled to bring my wife and daughter to Trenton and be living in a PMQ or house off base.  Could someone who knows for sure what they are talking about comment on this?  If I have to live away from my wife and daughter for the first two years or so it might be a deal breaker.

I think you mean Borden.  With approval your family will be moved to Borden.  Why don't you believe your recruiters?

Yep Borden....you are right.  I have heard so many different things from recruiters and people on here I am not sure who to believe.  Some say that there is a certain time you have to stay in barracks...etc. etc.

I am no expert on the subject but from what my recruiter told me it is different if you are married than if you are single. I think a single person with no dependants is "supposed" to stay in barracks at the very start of their career for a certain length of time. Again, my recruiter told me that although I am single, and I am also 33 yrs old and have lived on my own in my own house since 18, that it is not required. I think the reason they make new recruits stay in barracks is for those who are young and have never lived on thier own before, to get used to the idea of living on thier own and paying bills, as well as keeping the cost down...If I am wrong, feel free to correct me. This is what i have gathered anyway from my recruiter.

Bojangles

Ah $74 is a good deal, but whats the down side in living in the barracks??

The following is very rough and your pay will be explained to you at BMQ and future unit orderly rooms.

Ok 2421 gross per month to start for the first year, the second year it goes up to 2960 and the third year to 3556.  Now that is barring any pay increases during that time.

Now you take off Income tax, CPP, EI, superannuation (CF pension) and you are left with about 1596.

Now take off rations and quarters which could vary but I will guess 450 per month and that leaves you 1146.

Like I said very rough calculations and maybe someone can you give you more detail but it is a start.

Kincanuks,

I could have sworn I read somewhere on the dnd.ca site (can no longer find it), that it says that new recruits will get a daily "allowance" when doing BMQ.  Is this true and if so, would that be in addition to the $ left at the end of the month shown above?

S McPhee said:
Kincanuks,

I could have sworn I read somewhere on the dnd.ca site (can no longer find it), that it says that new recruits will get a daily "allowance" when doing BMQ.  Is this true and if so, would that be in addition to the $ left at the end of the month shown above?

Don't know never heard about it.

Depending on the situation, if you have a partner or not, you get incidentials or separation allowance.  Incidentials are $17.30 I believe, and it goes down to 75% of that amount after 30 days.  Separation allowance is $13/day.  You cannot receive both, one or the other.  I know on the reserve side, you only receive separation allowance if your attached posted, which is 160 days and over, otherwise it is incidentials.  I don't know if it's the same on the reg f side, I would need to check the reg's.

Daily allowance = TD (17.30/day).... NOT taxable......
which is a lot better than separation allowance which, like FOA, IS taxable.

Recruits get TD or Separation Allowance?  :-\  Are you sure?  That would alsmost double their daily pay, would it not?  At least that is what I just got from Dara's post.

TD @ 17.30 will not double the man's salary.

If an a soldier is sent on a course, he's entitled to TD - unless he's at his home station. Why should the newbie be treated any different. Same rules are applied and there are no special financial rules for Recruits.

Hmmm.... come to think of it; while he's at St Jean - he won't be charged room & board either.

Let's see if I can rustle up the reference

While (s)he is in St Jean, it is considered a Posting, is it not?  No TD on a Posting.  That is why they also get nailed with paying Quebec Taxes, if they are 'residing' there on 31 Dec.

will check with a contact once I am at the Puzzle palace tomorrow morning

stand by for clarification...
on a posting, they would move your personal effects - which the Crown will not do for BQ, SQ qualifications. Anyway - will get back to you with references & details

I am married with one child.  I would get the no charge rations and quarters at BMQ correct?  I would start at the $24** for salary.  During BMQ would I also receive separation allowance if yes how much?  After BMQ when I would be posted for training if my wife and daughter came with I would be in a PMQ correct?

Would I have to pay rations and quarters if I was married (now separated and divorce is almost final) and have one dependand (I do pay child support)?  Just wondering how that would work. 

S McPhee said:
Would I have to pay rations and quarters if I was married (now separated and divorce is almost final) and have one dependand (I do pay child support)?  Just wondering how that would work. 

Not a very good question.

If you were married, you would probably not pay Rations and Quarters.

As you say you are now Separated, then you probably will pay Rations and Quarters.

If your child is living with you, then you probably will not pay Rations and Quarters.

If you are paying Child Support, the child is probably not living with you, and therefore you would probably pay Rations and Quarters.

Any more combinations that we can figure into your situation?

What kind of documentation would be required to prove, in my case, that I'm a) supporting my common-law spouse (rent + bills) and b) have a common-law spouse? 

Amsdell said:
What kind of documentation would be required to prove, in my case, that I'm a) supporting my common-law spouse (rent + bills) and b) have a common-law spouse? 

Proof that you have been residing at the same residence for at least one year.

kincanucks said:
Proof that you have been residing at the same residence for at least one year.

But how would I prove I'm paying the rent if we're both on the lease?

Amsdell said:
But how would I prove I'm paying the rent if we're both on the lease?

:brickwall:

If you can prove that you have been living together for at least one year then you can satisfy the requirement for recognition of your common law status by the CF and therefore would not be required to pay rations and quarters.

:brickwall:

DA

Back