• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Do You (or Did You) Decide on Your Career Path?

• Thread starter Thread starter weeze
  • Start date Start date
W

weeze

Alright guys, and ladys I am 22 turning 23 in one week, and i want to join the E&K Scottish Regiment army reserves, and heres why.

I am currently at St. Clair College training as a Mechanical Engineering Technologist ( Robotics ) and was programming machining centers for oil rig equipment. The problem is, although this job is somewhat fast paced and can be stressfull, when it is not I am really bored.

Also i can no longer put up with people not doing jobs because of union or some dam political reason.

Secondly I have lost almost all self disapline and motivation, I am pretty much sick of myself and generly frustated because i feel like everything i do is non-important.

Basicly I want to change all these things around and I think that being in the Reserves may help out with this so my very long winded question is: Are these good reasons to join ??

Thanx for Listening.
Weeze

I joined...well at first it was a life dream. It still is..but now its more than that. Its something I think every Canadian should do, I can think of no better way to serve your country and society. You should also join for your own reasons, not because everyone else is doing it. Take a good hard look what what joining entails. For me, it meant giving up certain things (alcohol, eating fast food etc). Esprit de Corps and all that is a big reason I joined, to be a part of something bigger than my normal mundane life, to feel like I‘m making a difference, small or big as it may be but a difference nevertheless.Its hard work and a hard dream to fufill sometimes but military service in my opinion will make you that much better in life.
Good luck

-J

I wanted to punch a Nazi in the face on D-Day.

"Also i can no longer put up with people not doing jobs because of union or some dam political reason."

careful my friend, theres a **** of a lot more politics in the army than you might imagine.
Everything from your basic training to getting jobs if your in the reserves (maybe regs?) to sitting around the mess after work having a beer.

well politics are bound to be everywhere what I want is to be doing something that i beleive in, with a team of people that want to be doing it also because they beleive in it.

not because it is there job, politics was perhaps not the right word for what I was implying,

I joined the reserves because:

I want to serve my country (yes I am a keener =) ).

I wanted a job that was different, one that would keep me active, have shitloads of fun (and have I!) and feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day.

Yes I am only just finishing my BMQ and no I have not been in the forces THAT long, but ****, I have never had so much fun. This job has never seemed like a job to me at all, but more of a lifestyle, one that I love.

Assistance to pay for school.

The Opportunity to travel.

I wanted to blow stuff up... hehe just kidding (well... partly :p )

I wanted to help serve my country, and I wanted a job that was a little more than "Would you like fries with that?"

The reserves is a great experience, and even though i‘ve only done a few weekends of BMQ I don‘t think I could go to a normal civvie job...

I wanted to meet stimulating and interesting people of an ancient culture, and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill.

Well I haven‘t joined yet, but some of the reasons I am going to join are that its different, I like action, and I guess there is something about me that likes military life. And there is no other job like it in the world, when I come back from tours overseas or anything like that I want to feel that I am helping make a difference. Also the weapons are cool.

Well i could tell yas it for Valor and To Serve my Country

But all Engineers fall in love with a C4 Trigran Mix :D

Why did I join? Hummm, I reckon for many reasons. Military service goes back in my family thru 2 world wars, and to the colonial days with the British Army back in India of all places in the late 1880s.

So with all my Uncles serving in WW2 (D Day and Dieppe in 42), I always had a interest in the Defence Force, both the CF and later the ADF.

Hearing their personal accounts, and seeing the souviners they brought back like Iron Crosses from PoWs, flags, peices of a downed ME109, and even a P-38 pistol, always had me intreged. Looking at their old photos, and seeing old paybooks really intersted me.

I liked military history, and I sought first off, its a proud thing to do, getting involved with the Army and continuing a time honoured family tradition, plus I enjoyed the outdoors, all the seasons, and making the best friends ever, travel, the spirit of adventure, and most importantly the mateship.

The sensation of accomplishing things whhich most peiople cant comprehend, and doing so much more than others could imagine, and being invloved in a team environment, with all the hard work and social fun.

The pride, honour, confidence, leadership, tradition, and self discipline came with it all, as did weapons handling, and all the soldiering skills one learns through his time in.

As of 20 Jan 04, I have got 28yrs ‘down range‘ in two different armies, and its all passsed by like a long weekend. Where did all the years go? As they say ‘time flys when you‘re having fun‘.

At the end of the day, I would not have it any other way.

Cheers, (and beers)

Wes

Amen to that portcullisguy.
I found this contribution most suitable to me because I‘ve always been interested in the military since I was a kid. It‘s fun and interesting, and helps out alot (with things such as the dental plan and school reimbursment). And on some level I see it as a way to gurantee my rights and freedoms - the only way they will be lost is over my dead body.

wasn‘t my idea, the judge gave me options.... :)

Actually, jobs were scarce, I knew I had some growing up to do, and I REALLY wanted to drive a tank. Who knew it would be so much fun?

It‘s really a lifestyle......

Two reasons.

1) To do things 99% of your fellow citizens can‘t or won‘t do.

2) There is something to be said about buddy sitting in the trench with you who is also cold, hungry, and tired and yet gives you half of his Snickers bar and humps a support weapon in the morning without a complaint. You don‘t meet guys like that on the street.

Garry,
Almost in the same boat, I joined cause I figured if I stayed in Guelph I‘d be doing a little more time in the local bucket. For me it was, I believe, a life-saving decision.
Though it did suck turning 18 in N.S. and finding out that first LEGAL beer you were looking forward to would just have to wait untill I got back in Ontario. I still don‘t know how the waitress at the little diner I was at kept a straight face. CHEERS

I joined simply to serve my country. I have always had a great amount of respect for our military and the sacrifices Canadians have made both in war and peacetime, and I feel it is my duty to give something back to this great country we live in. This might sound a little idealistic, but it is straight from the heart!

I was once asked by a very close girlfriend "why not leave it to someone else. Why not let someone else do it? Why YOU?" In serving in the Canadian Forces, I will tell you exactly what I told her:

First off, why me? Because I am no better than any other so why not me? I am not too good, nor do I think it is possible to be ‘above‘ serving your community, your society and your beliefs.
The Canadian Forces serves what I believe is a proud and strong tradition of national service. Traditions and values we shaped ourselves, that our land molded us into, that our diversity forced us to come to grips with, and that were handed to us from the British Empire as well. Now although I don‘t feel the connection as strongly as say, my grandparents or great grandparents did, I do beleive that it affected our culture deeply and for the better. I serve in that tradtion, and in the trust that we are there to make Canada, and the world a more stable and secure place.

I want to get into law and politics when I am older (too old to hump my gear on a long patrol), and would feel like a hypocrite if I was ever to cast my vote to send people to war if I had never been willing to go myself.

I also feel that I wanted to make a difference in the world. My main support in the job comes from those around me that do the same thing, and from the fact that I know that I am willing to lay my life down not only for them, but for people both unwilling and unable to defend themselves. I don‘t like the purpose of the weapons we use, but admit they are fun to fire, and am willing to protect others as well as my self. I take on the responsibility because most Canadians don‘t or won‘t.

I found out two years in when I met my father for the first time (2 years ago now) that every single male member of my family had been in the military all the way back into Scotland in the 19th century...at least as far back as my Grandmother had told me. It was shocker to me, but I also take pride in that. The only person to have broken that tradition was my father, and I joined without even knowing about it. So I take pride in picking up the ‘dropped torch‘ from my family. Well, that almost sums it all up except for Wes‘s comments:

The sensation of accomplishing things whhich most peiople cant comprehend, and doing so much more than others could imagine, and being invloved in a team environment, with all the hard work and social fun.

The pride, honour, confidence, leadership, tradition, and self discipline came with it all, as did weapons handling, and all the soldiering skills one learns through his time in.
Wes, I couldn‘t have said that better myself. And the 4 years has passed like a weekend exercise. (that trend doesn‘t seem to be changing) So ya, time does fly when you‘re having fun.

Weeze, as for being a good reason, everyone has their own reasons, and they are good enough for them. The reserves is a great opportunity to serve. It is a good opportunity for a change. It is a good opportunity to travel. It is a good opportunity to make some very close friends. Finally, if you are going into the ranks, just do your job and you won‘t have to worry about any of the internal politics of your chain of command. For a while anyhow. EDIT: Actually, just focus on doing your job and let the politics take care of itself no matter whether your are going for a commission or not.

Best wishes and thanks to all for signing up, whatever your reasons may be.

:cdn:

thanx guys for all your input it is greatly apreciated, i have decided to try and get in for next summer because i do not have enough money in the bank to be away from work for over two months,

When I joined I was scared as ****. Visions of Paschendale were in my head but it was a responsibility I had to undertake to become a ‘citizen‘ (a la Heinlein). I suppose with ‘A few good men‘ I can paraphrase and say ‘they stand up there in a tower (cold, hungry, tired and wet) and say "no one is going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch"‘. Perhaps over the top, but if you will not defend your country, you don‘t have a country. Don‘t trust the Liberals to do that for you.

Back