• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do we get this guy to run for President of the US?

• Thread starter Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date Start date
M

MAJOR_Baker

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1024b1talker1024.html

My favorite Maricopa county (AZ) Sheriff, How do we get this guy to run for president?  Cuts the price of meals to less than a dollar(Baloney sam'itches), issues them pink underwear ('cause they were stealing the white ones issued to them), and has a very low level of repeat offenders.

If I were an American, I would be part of the "Draft Condi" (Dr. Condoleezza Rice; Secretary of State) movement, but this guy would make a good VP or Cabinet Officer in the first term. (He will be ready for the big chair in 2012 or so  ;))

That being said, what is wrong with American politicians these days. It dosn't seem to matter, both the Dems and Republicans seem to be turning into the biggest crowd of losers ($90,000 cash in your freezer? Sexual IM's to congressional pages?). Even our own Liberals might be taken aback at some of the goings on in the Congress.

S_Baker said:
it is the political season in the US and the Dems will do anything or say anything to win.

And the republicans don't?  ;D :D :)

I think that Penn and Teller (Tellar?) should be co-presidents. 
Anyone but Michael Moore!

I actually met "Sheriff Joe" while visiting #1 son in Arizona a few years ago.  The visit was arranged by my son and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the sheriff.  Being in corrections at the time, I found it very interesting to see the "tent city" they have to house some thousand or so inmates.  I even have a pair of the pink undershorts as a souvenir.  I found him to be quite a character.  The only channels the inmates could watch were educational channels.  He had numerous posses for different tasks.  He had a lot of innovative ideas which drove the liberal-minded folks nuts.  Muskrat89 could fill you in on even more details since he lives there.  I doubt if Sheriff Joe would ever become president though (he's in his 70's) and he probably doesn't have enough friends "in high places". 

I'd like to see Guiliani vs Biden.  In either case the Americans win.

If on the other hand it's Frist vs Clinton, in either case they lose....

Matthew.  ???

von Garvin said:
I think that Penn and Teller (Tellar?) should be co-presidents. 
Anyone but Michael Moore!

I think Penn Jillette is great. He was spectacular on Real Time with Bill Maher a couple of weeks ago.

I read on another site a while back that locals were pissed with "Sheriff Joe" for some financial/nepotism shenanigans. Anybody have any real facts on this, either way?

I hope it's all bogus, 'cause I dig the guy's style.

Hey, i'm still on the Stewart/Colbert kick for '08.  Hell, they just made a movie about it happening, you cannot tell me that "man of the year" starring Robin Williams is not a direct shot at the Daily show staffers running for president.

They got my vote 

bcbarman said:
Hey, i'm still on the Stewart/Colbert kick for '08.  Hell, they just made a movie about it happening, you cannot tell me that "man of the year" starring Robin Williams is not a direct shot at the Daily show staffers running for president.
I remember reading that was the the idea that inspired the movie.

I was hoping Stewart/Colbert08 were gonna be running.

Ah well, Barack Obama in 08.

I was hoping Stewart/Colbert08 were gonna be running.

Stewart may not be running, but Colbert has announced that he will run  ;D. Colbert, Colbert 08.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071017/stephen_colbert_071017/20071017?hub=Entertainment
Stephen Colbert announces mock bid for presidency
Updated Wed. Oct. 17 2007 10:34 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Mock conservative pundit Stephen Colbert used the pulpit of his show to announce a presumably satirical bid for the White House.

"After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call. Nation: I shall seek the office of the president of the United States," he announced Tuesday night on "The Colbert Report," balloons falling around him.

Colbert -- whose show sending up loud, self-absorbed TV pundits is seen in Canada on CTV and the Comedy Network -- has recently been mocking the coyness of some presidential hopefuls by refusing to say whether he would personally seek the United States' ultimate political prize.

His refusals often came without any prompting.

As late as Sunday, he sounded ambiguous about running, but hinted in a New York Times guest column  that a bid could be coming.

"I share Americans' nostalgia for an era when you not only could tell a man by the cut of his jib, but the jib industry hadn't yet fled to Guangdong," he wrote.

"And I don't intend to tease you for weeks the way Newt Gingrich did, saying that if his supporters raised US$30 million, he would run for president. I would run for 15 million. Cash."

Gingrich is a high-profile Republican.

In the column, Colbert said, "It's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

Colbert's current book, "I Am American (And So Can You!)," allowed him to mimic what has become a standard preamble to a White House run -- a high-profile book tour.

He acknowledged that in the column: "Many candidates test the waters with a book first. Just look at Barack Obama, John Edwards or O. J. Simpson."

Simpson has not announced a presidential bid.

Colbert wants to get his name on the primary ballot of South Carolina, his home state. Asked recently what party affiliation he would adopt, Colbert said: "Both. I can lose twice."

The pundit does have the strength of the Colbert Nation fan base to draw upon. They have pushed to have a Hungarian bridge named after him and have vandalized the Wikipedia online encyclopedia by bombarding it with his terms "truthiness" and "wikiality."

Colbert's closest brush with the presidency came with a speech at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner, with U.S. President George Bush sitting several chairs to his right.

For those critics who said personnel changes at the White House were akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, Colbert said: "This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on The Hindenburg."

Colbert's performance, while it drew rave reviews from Bush's political adversaries, was panned by many others as being too edgy. Some thought Bush looked uncomfortable.

This year's dinner featured Canadian-born impressionist Rich Little, who offered a much gentler style. In response to one bombed joke, Little said: "And you thought (Stephen) Colbert was bad."

They can call it a "mock" bid all they want... but he's running.

Back