• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How are Chaplains perceived by other CF members?

For wja tI have live with "padré", they are simply great, always ready to speak about anything with you, from chit-chat to deep questioning you might have. Our "padré" at our unit, knows every one, he always calls you by your first name.

They will never pressure you into anything you arent ready to go. Of course, if you listen carefully, you will know wre does their belives are. But always good for advice, always good to put you back on track.

Ive serve a few at the clothing in Valcartier, and always great Fellow. They are great for the morale.

Fatalize said:
I find it interesting that the CF still supports bronze age mythology superstitions. Why not just have general counselors for people?

Why hire "general counselors", when you get that function PLUS the religious aspect in the same package?

Frankly - even as an atheist - I have MUCH more time for Padres than I do for Social Workers who attempt to serve a similar function.

The Padres (and civilian ministers) I've met seem to have a core belief or philosophy that they've arrived at - THEN they go get educated to explore that belief.

The Social Workers I've met seem to get an education in order to arrive at a belief system or philosophy - THEN they go practice it.

The one has a "calling" - the other, a "job".

And troops can tell the difference.

I'm fully aware of google, but it would be rather hard to be a fan of someone you've never heard of.

If anyone who questions religion is generalized to be a Bill Maher fan, then I guess I am.

Fatalize said:
If anyone who questions religion is generalized to be a Bill Maher fan, then I guess I am.

I don't read the other post you have it this page as questioning religions,
but as questioning the usefulness of padres in the CF, which is not the same...

Yrys said:
I don't read the other post you have it this page as questioning religions,
but as questioning the usefulness of padres in the CF, which is not the same...

Actually my very first post was in fact.. questioning religion.

For me personally someone who has had his mind basically brainwashed to blindly believe in a faith, Is NOTthe person I would run to for advice.

There is no doubt in my mind that many people gain comfort and security from padres, I was just curious as to what the reasoning was behind it. And I'll leave it at that, judging at where this conversation is going.. religion is a touchy subject to people.

I myself have no religious affiliation whatsoever.  I don't feel the need to belittle and ridicule other peoples belief systems, whatever gets you through the next firefight is okay with me.  The Bill Maher ref was made because he's an ultra liberal intellectual elitist snob who goes out of his way to insult those who do believe, or rather don't think the way he thinks. See the film "Religulous" to see what I mean.  And, no, I'm not calling you an ultra liberal intellectual elitist snob, unless of course you are one.

Fatalize said:

For me personally someone who has had his mind basically brainwashed to blindly believe in a faith, Is NOTthe person I would run to for advice.

For me personally, someone who has had his mind basically brainwashed to blindly NOT believe in a faith, is NOT the person I would run to for advice.

Your statement cuts both ways. 

I have no confidence in people who believe OR disbelieve anything blindly.  I have a LOT of time for folks who have thought the matter through, explored the options, and reached a conclusion which is comfortable for them, PERSONALLY. 

I've found that people who have gone through this exercise (also known as soul-searching) in a thorough manner are not people who question other's beliefs, at least not uninvited.  Having been through the process themselves - they can appreciate that others have done the same thing, but have simply reached different conclusions.

However - as you said, religion can be (doesn't have to be) a touchy subject.

To re-iterate (and expand upon) my original answer:  In my years of service, as an atheist, I came to understand that Chaplains are an integral part of the CF, and are usually appreciated by most other service members.  I also came to understand that, for reasons which I have only cursorily examined, Social Workers do not, and probably would not, enjoy the same level of appreciation.

I find it interesting that the CF still supports bronze age mythology superstitions. Why not just have general counselors for people?

Dude, lose the chip.

You're making us atheists look bad.  When your brother's hurt'n and the Padre brings him peace you'll be glad they're around - regardless of your personal beliefs.

While some padres may be of the "hail fellow, well met" variety who mixes easily with soldiers and communicates with them through shared experience of military life, the quiet and gentle type can be a tower of strength when circumstances call for it.  Such was one padre of my acquaintance, whose actions I previously related in another thread.

Blackadder1916 said:
As one who also has little time for organized religion (another ex-Irish Catholic refugee from the Rock), I had little to do with chaplains during my time in the service with a few exceptions such as compulsory church parades or being on a course with a couple who turned out be very "social" in the mess.  As was said above there are good ones and some not so good (in terms of quality of service and not their individual spirituality),  but it is good to hear of the fine work done by them. 

This thread has brought back memories of Rwanda in 1994 and the chaplain who deployed with us on OP PASSAGE.  Of all the people on that mission he is the one who stood out the most (for me anyway).  No, he didn't save my soul or bring me back into the arms of the Lord (he wasn't a miracle worker).  He probably didn't have much of a congregation for his weekly services, a photo I have of that time shows him saying mass for 5 or 6 fellow soldiers which would have been a typical crowd for him.  But, I do know that his talks with other soldiers were helpful for them in terms of their emotional or spiritual well being.  However, what I remember the most about him is the burying of the dead.  Little or no plans had been made for the disposition of the remains of those who passed while in our care; the assumption having been made that they would be turned over to their relatives or the local authorities.  However, few had relatives able to assume this task and the "local authorities" didn't care.  The first few burials (with the exception of the mass grave) were done by a few available personnel who did not have clinical duties.  It was a very sobering task that took a lot out of people.  The padre, though, took on this burden as things progressed and oversaw the internment of the deceased, the organization of the gravediggers (locals later hired for the job) and the care of the small cemetery that began adjacent to our medical facility.  For that he will always have my thanks and admiration.

Fatalize said:
For what it's worth, the bronze age ran from 3300 to 1200 (or so) BC.  I think this even pre-dates the Greeks' mythologies.  So, if you're going to slag a religion (or religions), then at least get your timelines right.

Midnight Rambler said:
For what it's worth, the bronze age ran from 3300 to 1200 (or so) BC.  I think this even pre-dates the Greeks' mythologies.  So, if you're going to slag a religion (or religions), then at least get your timelines right.

3300-1200 was the middle eastern bronze age, different parts of the world evolved through the ages faster.
It wasn't meant to be an extremely accurate statement. But somewhere between the Bronze and Iron age.

Moved to http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89250.0.html

We had a great Padre on my tour in Bosnia, wish I could remember his name.  :-\  He was Anglican and although I am not, I attended some of his services when he was in our camp.  Super nice guy, studied a lot of other religions so he was knowledgeable about them.

He was a reservist and I remember he had to turn in all his kit as soon as he got back from tour.  Seems he only brought one pair of Gortex socks but had been issued two.  I gave him mine so he could turn them both in and he mailed me his second pair.

Both Padres we had in Afghanistan were great too.  They were firm advocates that married couples on tour should have "conjugal" visits.  ;D

Fatalize said:
It wasn't meant to be an extremely accurate statement. But somewhere between the Bronze and Iron age.
I agree that it wasn't meant to be an accurate statement at all.  It was meant as a deliberately inflammatory statement. 

My only point is this:

I have no point.  Except maybe to say that even though you may consider modern religion to be mythology, most Canadians don't, and since we (the Canadian Armed Forces) are meant to be a reflection of that society, then religious services are offered to members of the forces.  These services are delivered by chaplains of many faiths.  The difference between chaplains and civilian clergy is seen in how chaplains deliver non-religious services to members of the military.

Humphrey said:
Chaplaincy happens in different contexts in civilian culture as well as within the police forces in Canada.  I've certainly had opportunity to speak with chaplains in hospitals, and RCMP Chaplains over the years.  However, it really isn't quite the same as hearing responses from the people the chaplains will work with and care for.

Father Mychal F. Judge "administered last rites to some lying on the streets, then entered the lobby of the World Trade Center north tower where an emergency command post was organized. There he continued offering aid and prayers for the rescuers, the injured and dead."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mychal_F._Judge#World_Trade_Center.2C_September_11.2C_2001

Fatalize - we get it. Congratulations - you are a hero to free thinkers everywhere.

Since you seem so well read, read the topic title: How are Chaplains perceived by other CF members?

If you are indeed a CF member, feel free to state your perception of Chaplains. Putting it in context by relating some experiences that shaped your perception might help us frame your point of view.

The topic is not "How do you feel about organized religion?". We like to govern our board based on rules of etiquette formed probably starting in the Victorian Age, for what its' worth.

Army.ca Staff

mariomike said:
Father Mychal F. Judge "administered last rites to some lying on the streets, then entered the lobby of the World Trade Center north tower where an emergency command post was organized. There he continued offering aid and prayers for the rescuers, the injured and dead."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mychal_F._Judge#World_Trade_Center.2C_September_11.2C_2001
I also understand that his loss was felt greatly by the entire FDNY, and that he was listed as victim 1.  Just what I heard.

Wonderbread said:
Dude, lose the chip.

You're making us atheists look bad.  When your brother's hurt'n and the Padre brings him peace you'll be glad they're around - regardless of your personal beliefs.

I have to underline this as one of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen here.

I'm not religious either, but I do appreciate the comfort a chaplain can provide to the majority who are, and the other-than-religious services they provide to everyone.

Back