• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Fredericton

EpicBeardedMan said:
Haha what was it like? Cramped?

Have a look here: http://images.google.com/images?q=%22operations+room+personnel+preparing%22&biw=1440&bih=715

You should see the plans they have for the new OPS Room. It will be leaps and bounds ahead of what is there now. For example think of what an office in the 1980's looked like and compare it to today. That s what the OPS Room will look like post refit.

Wingsoffury,

You've taken a real nice photo of one of my pieces of kit there.

That Compass Card Repeater.  Do you realize that every one of those on the ship is linked together through a distribution network, allowing every position (from the helm, the bridge-wing, the MCR, the OPS room, the LSO compartment, etc to all have the same heading displayed simultaneously?

Amazingly, it's a WWI piece of technology, using synchros.

The distribution network may be old-school (gotta love tradition) but the gyro that generates the signal is a pretty fancy piece of kit.

NS

Hey there NS,

I had no idea they were all linked together - fascinating, especially for something that goes back to WWI!

If there's anything else you can share, I'd love to hear it!

AP

Back