• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Historical Novels

Just finished a couple of Gary Kilworth's (aka Gary Douglas) books. The series is set in the Crimean War which is interesting as most author's tend to overlook this conflict. Written similar to the Sharpe series, the protagonist is a character known as "Sgt Flashy Jack Crossman". The series covers the trials and tribulations of his 'poleton' and the development of a system of what would be today, a recce plt. The books themselves seem to be well researched as with the Sharpe series. Each covers a specific aspect of the Crimean campaign ranging from the Battle at Balaclava(and a description of the first balaclavas, socks pulled over the heads with a hole, natural or made for the face) to the Siege of Sevastopol. General society of the time is well incorporated and interesting historical 'tidbits' move the novels along quite well. Age groups for these books would be from teen up.

VP

Finally managed to get a little more unpacking accomplished. Noticed that the author John Harris is missing from our list. While not pre world war he does however cover several interesting wars in the interwar period and interesting topics in the Second World War.
-The Mercenaries: China, post world war one
-Harkaways War: Ethiopia, early 1939/1940
-The Gallant Six Hundred, non fiction Charge of the light Brigade

John Harris didn't he write a rather good novel on one of the Kitchener Battalions at the Somme July 1, 1916. I believe it was the Covenant (at work so no access to book case). I remember picking it up many years back at the Ormocto bookstore and have read it several times.

Thats the one, out of print eh, I guess I better take care of my old copy. Mind it's already spent several weeks in the lawfield Corridor and Lost Lake in the back of my ruck so I bet that will bring the price down on Antiques Roadshow or eBay ;D

Most of Harris's novels are now out of print but I have been quite successful at obtaining all of them from the usual used book stores and thrift shops, at twenty five and fifty cents apiece. Harris also wrote under the pseudonym 'Max Hennessy' in the Iron Stallion series. In the genre of crime fiction he used the pseudonym 'Mark Hebden'. Another of his novels which is a very worthwhile read is The Sea Shall Not Have Them. This novel was later adapted to the screen featuring past film star greats such as Michael Redgrave and Dirk Bogarde in 1954/1955. In the "odd ball" war genre, The Thirty Days' War looks at conflict in Persia at the beginning of  World War Two. RAF based the novel has a very ingenious 'Flying Officer Anthony Boumphrey' as the protagonist. In Cotton's War the Grecian Invasion by the Germans is the focus. Here again intrigue plays a significant part with the involvement of MTB's and supplies for the Greek resistance. Having read a novel of his I always find myself digging into factual history having being perked by his use of remote, unimportant  and often overlooked actions and conflicts not covered by contemporary mainstream authors.

I agree with Elwood, Bernard Cornwell is good, especially the "Sharpe" series. His books aren't difficult to read, always exciting and at the end of all, or at least most, of his books he has a historical note section, to write the actual history of the event he's writing about, or clear up any historical innaccurasies that he wrote in the book.

Two excellent and accessible ones, by Derek Robinson, about British fighter pilots in WW I and II:

"Goshawk Squadron"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/1845291727/ref=s9_asin_title_2/026-3042056-4343667

"Piece of Cake"
http://www.amazon.ca/Piece-Cake-Derek-Robinson/dp/1568493231/ref=sr_1_6/701-9840826-9598762?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174333685&sr=1-6

Don't know how easy to find these days--libraries might have them.

He's written several others:
http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2049626-2790239?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%22derek+robinson%22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

"Piece of Cake" was made into a very good TV miniseries:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0157239/

Mark
Ottawa

Back