• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help me build a used computer!

World Computer Exchange is a good idea. I have enough parts to make a Celeron 533 and a Pentium III, so hopefully someone in a third world country will find them useful...

Mission aborted.. for now... We did not drive down to Montreal today.. but I will be back in QC next week.. a quick run down.

Okay guys and gals.. I have built the mother in laws computer and it seems my main shortage is for PC100 or PC133 SDRAM (it can take three sticks and only has 3 x 64mb).. If anyone has any to help me out with.. I am currently living in NB and QC (with trips to Montreal).  Like I said.. I can pay shipping.

Thanks again! 

Bzzliteyr said:
Okay guys and gals.. I have built the mother in laws computer and it seems my main shortage is for PC100 or PC133 SDRAM (it can take three sticks and only has 3 x 64mb).. If anyone has any to help me out with.. I am currently living in NB and QC (with trips to Montreal).  Like I said.. I can pay shipping.

Thanks again! 

http://www.computerxs.ca/main.htm (Look under Memory.. lots there)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=RAM.653

I buy from both of these places to build systems, they're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :cheers:

I just recently had a bad experience with Canada Computers.

Went in to buy a system before Christmas, came as a bundle package.  Case was hideous, so I asked to swap it out; no problem, just pay the difference.  Bundle didn't come with a keyboard or mouse, so add those to my bill.  Windows XP?  What the hell, it's a free upgrade to Vista.  Also bought a second system as a gift for my brother and was able to pick that one up immediately.

Magic number for a build time for my computer, two weeks.  I didn't need it before Christmas and knew they were busy, so whatever.  Two days before the due date, get a call from them.  They can't get the sound card in but are willing to swap it out with an equally impressive sounding one for a few dollars more and it'll be ready a few days late.  A week later, get a call to inform me the mainboard isn't available through them and describe an alternative involving most of the Polish alphabet... for a few dollars more and a few days later.  A week later, another call.  No power supply, but for a few dollars more and a couple extra days...

I remain calm and do so math.  So far, this has added up to an extra 10+% on the original cost and two weeks late.  So, I walk into the store and cancel the order.  The manager wasn't available to discuss refunding my deposit, but if I could just wait a few days, they'll look into it.

Shamrock said:
I just recently had a bad experience with Canada Computers.

Went in to buy a system before Christmas, came as a bundle package.  Case was hideous, so I asked to swap it out; no problem, just pay the difference.  Bundle didn't come with a keyboard or mouse, so add those to my bill.  Windows XP?  What the hell, it's a free upgrade to Vista.  Also bought a second system as a gift for my brother and was able to pick that one up immediately.

Magic number for a build time for my computer, two weeks.  I didn't need it before Christmas and knew they were busy, so whatever.  Two days before the due date, get a call from them.  They can't get the sound card in but are willing to swap it out with an equally impressive sounding one for a few dollars more and it'll be ready a few days late.  A week later, get a call to inform me the mainboard isn't available through them and describe an alternative involving most of the Polish alphabet... for a few dollars more and a few days later.  A week later, another call.  No power supply, but for a few dollars more and a couple extra days...

I remain calm and do so math.  So far, this has added up to an extra 10+% on the original cost and two weeks late.  So, I walk into the store and cancel the order.  The manager wasn't available to discuss refunding my deposit, but if I could just wait a few days, they'll look into it.

Wow... you got hosed...  I've had no problems with them, but I don't buy package computers... I'd rather get exactly what I want when I want it.  Obviously, they suck at building package systems, atleast at that one.  Thats too bad.  The one in Waterloo is pretty good.  They know their stuff and if they don't have parts in stock, they can get them in 2 business days.

I've had no problems ordering stuff online from them... meh.. you gamble with any computer store though.

btw. They had to order a seperate power supply?  Every case I've ordered has come with a power supply, and aftermarket ones tend to die pretty quickly.  Man, sounds kinda fishy.  I wouldn't go back to them either.

Just thought I'd provide an update on this.

Having spoken with the manager, he understood the reasons for cancelling the order.  A new order has been drafted up with all the original parts and will be available shortly.  He has also extended an instore credit.

Bzzliteyr said:

Thanks again! 

I have tons of 128mb sticks laying around, would be willing to give em out. Just shoot me a PM and I can try to help you out.

Back