• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heavy Barreled Mini-14

graveltek

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get my Mini-14 worked on?  I want to put a heavy barrel on it.  I've seen it done but not sure who can do it here in Ontario.  Currently I'm shooting at 200yds and a grouping of five is about 1" with five rounds, scoped.  I'm hoping to make a 500-700yrd rifle out of it.

Chimo

If you're grouping 5 rounds into 1" at 200 yards with a Mini-14, you've already got better than most get out of them.

That's 1/2 MOA.

YMMV, but there are better platforms for improvement than the Mini-14.  For the money you'd spend, you could probably work your way into a Sig Black Special from The Shooting Edge.

NS

Not to be jerk or anything.  But a Mini 14 that will shoot into an inch at 200, (.5 moa :o) might be the most accurate mini ever.  I don't know how much it would cost to rebarrel one of those, but in the end wouldn't it just be cheaper, to get one of the other nonrestricted .223s.  But seriously I don't know anyone personally who's even heard of a stock mini-14, scoped or not, shooting into .5 moa.  If it will do that, the money involved in getting it to do any better I would think would be substantial.  The only advantage I could see a rebarrel offering would be that you would be able to pick your rifling, which of course would let you use heavier bullets which would get you out there further.  But I think your hopes to get a 700 meter rifle out of a Mini14 are at best extremely optomistic, and at worst nearly immpossible.  With the amount of money that you would end up spending on this you might be better off buying an accurized AR or if you want non-restricted, one of the versions of the PE-90.

Sorry to be so down on Mini's but I've never met anyone who had good luck with them in ths reguard.

1" at 200m from a Mini 14 is the kind of grouping you would get signed and witnessed at the range.

Past 300m you might want to step up to a 7.67mm rifle.

Most Mini's are minute of barn door.

I know of ONE submoa Mini that a USMC buddy had done up by noted US M14 smith Geoff Corn - it cost a shit load of cash and for what - a piece of crap gun that shot well.

As Navy said - better beasts exist - save your money - you are NOT goign to get any better and I'd phone guiness while your at it.

Back