• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guelph Man Says Military "Ill-prepared" To Battle Substance Abuse- Article

Sounds like he was bagged during the R3 screening in Gagetown. I've run into a few similar during my recovery; though was always quite fond of the trg area down there even in the rain ;D. Anyways, my personal tmt by the 'system' has been outstanding, including my CDU GP who is extremely well trained and experienced in the comorbidity of addictions, depression and PTSD.  His 15 mins should be over by now, selling crazy usually has a self life. Have a great army day.

medicineman said:
Any comments I'd have to make violate a form I signed when I released about violating certain confidences.  I've run into this clown before ( and many like him) and that's all I'm allowed to say.

MM

I was going to refrain from comments about this, but if MM states this guy is a clown.....then he is a clown.

MM when you coming into the Peg to say hi?

Jim, unless my parents decree something, it looks like my W/E dance card is pretty empty...if my doc doesn't want me to work until Monday, I'm going to do some pers admin and chat up some folks in MacGregor that weren't around when I last wandered in.

MM

Being that I was in 2 RCR when this went down (not that I knew the soldier) and found that many of my former soldiers knew this guy personally I wrote the author of the article two days ago asking him what kind of fact checking he did on the article.  He has yet to respond. I can also assure you this guy did not spend 8 straight months in the field as I'm sure you were all aware of.

Thank you Haligonian. 

Since this is my hometown I wanted to respond also but then I would be doing the same thing this *cough* reporter did, reporting second-hand stuff as `facts`.

If anyone else who was around then wishes to send off something I would appreciate it.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
If anyone else who was around then wishes to send off something I would appreciate it.
And here's the reporter's e-mail address - dhalfnight@guelphmercury.com

A reminder:  If you're going to share info, remember that ANYTHING you say/write to a reporter will be considered on the record unless you say it isn't very clearly.  Something like this at the start and end of the e-mail should make it clear:  "This is off the record - you can only use this information as background, and only without attributing it to me or my e-mail address". 

And blind copy yourself to CYA.

And I hope I don't have to remind you not to do this from a work computer  ;D

Some free advice, worth every cent you paid  ;)

If no physical injury/illness, why would they prescribe duiladids? 

If identified as an 'addict', and if benzos were prescribed for 'stress'-related conditions (anxiety, ptsd, etc), that's normally in limited amounts.  If for stress, short-term, e.g. clonazepams (short-term, 2 weeks worth at a time), longer than that and in need to stablize, would be other meds prescribed (e.g. atypical anti-psychotics, in conjunction with SSRI/antidepressant- which can reduce some anxiety, re-stablize hyperousal, de-regulated stress response).  Ativans, common to re: anxiety/stress/panic but if a person identified as an addict, those quantities also tend to be in controlled amounts.  IME, and IMO re: observance of normative treatments.  If there was a chronic pain condition, + knowledge of existing addiction problem, would more likely get prescribed a slow-release patch (e.g. Fentinol -- more work to abuse those, cook down, etc.), vs pill. 

My docs are careful, dx'd with ptsd, no addiction, and they're still very careful about benzos, controlled amounts.

There also does appears to be quite an underground economy re: opiates, diuladids, oxy's, etc, some doctor prescribed (and then sold >:D and that's wrong, or those who deliberately fake injury to get those in order then sell them or trade them for something else-- con behaviours, or addict conning/dishonest with the the doctor to get them-- which can happen).  Re: benzos and 'stress disorders' (anxiety, ptsd, etc) seems there are standards in place from approximately the past 10 years, special attention to controlling the amounts and time allowed to use them, because they can become addictive and/or when mis-used, causing new problems.

This member dug himself into a hole, he had family issues when he was in and because his family didnt want him in the military, so he went on TRIPS TO THE FIELD to get away from family. Then when they finally left him, because he was already into junk, and knew his stint in the field was fake, he decided to take everything to the extreme and blame the military for everything.

How do i know, Ive baby sat the guy for some time when i was a no hook. He definatelly has issues that need to be dealt with but on a military perspective, he is excately where he should be. OUT.

Jimmy_D said:
This member dug himself into a hole, he had family issues when he was in and because his family didnt want him in the military, so he went on TRIPS TO THE FIELD to get away from family. Then when they finally left him, because he was already into junk, and knew his stint in the field was fake, he decided to take everything to the extreme and blame the military for everything.

How do i know, Ive baby sat the guy for some time when i was a no hook. He definatelly has issues that need to be dealt with but on a military perspective, he is excately where he should be. OUT.

Addiction sickness, active addicts do lie and can become attached to their own lies, the story-lines they tell themselves to 'justify using' (the blame others for not having it together) and really they believe them too (and it's reinforced by the 'reward' of the 'high', self-perpetuating looping-cycle away from self-honesty, thus difficulty with honesty with others); it's self-deception, confusion about personal responsibilities, gets distorted, displaced.  It's a sickness and it can be very frustrating to deal with that happening in another person. 

I'm impressed with those who do roll up their sleeves and get down to facing the music, accepting and staying commited to the recovery/treatment plans and accepting with honesty and humility, the challenges to self-deceptions, mis-attributions, allowing themselves to be challenged; learning to face their dis-ease with honestly and courage and committment to staying clean, each day with each choice.  To even take that leap of faith, and stay commited so that they can achieve greater clarity and maintain that.

This fella sounds like he has a long way to go towards wellness.  There's abstaining from the junk and then there's learning how to abstain from the junk from within (re: misattributions, "stinkin thinkin" ;) ).

Personal accountability, reliablity, honesty and trust, I imagine are very important attributes and foundations re: military service, working with a unit (not against it), so I can understand discharge being completely reasonable, safety of unit and person depends on it.

I still get those 'drunk and dial' calls from time to time ;) and I generally keep some distance (often opting to not answer the phone, as it is energy-consumming for me and I have to protect my own energy levels as I've got my own battles with ptsd [which they can't recognize, when it's all about them, blurred to sense of other]). 

But I'll confront those 'story lines' and 'dramas' which abdicate self-responsibility for choices, doesn't figure into the 'equation' for them.  I listen to the attempts to the 'excuses' and then the attempts to 'change the subject' when I call them out on it.  I bring it back to the lie, then I hear more excuses, and I redirect back to the lie, until they finally admit to their personal responsibility and the lie they're telling themselves  (re: choice to drink, their choices of reaction, and view of things).  A fairly fruitless exercise as the truth is forgotten by the time they drink again, they can't remember, it's and the self-deceptive habits remain.  There's confusion and they can't see how they are doing this to themselves.  They lie to themselves, "not hurting anyone else", everything to defend their habit, and denial of the consequences, re: loss of job, relationships, etc.  I maintain my position re: treatment.  I can recognize the human being that is there, but I also recognize the oppression of the human being by the weight of the addiction sickness, habits, etc.  Almost like two-personalities, the 'addict part' with it's deceptions, and mis-attributions often wins.

Definition of Insanity:
Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.
~ Albert Einstein

Maybe taking a lot of liberty in generalizing from my experiences confronting addictions.  Just saying it can get messy, and head-tripping, and challenging re: one's own energies for it (especially when honesty is an important value, it's hard to tolerate consistently dishonesty, that addiction sickness can create).  I've known some strong people who've achieved sobriety and have actively maintained it for years and great people, fearlessly honest, clarity, direct, freed from habits of manipulation, working on clarity on a day-to-day, their best selves.  I respect this and the product of these efforts re: on-going development producing great Character strengths. :salute:

They have to chose to lead that path, can't chose it for others.

This statement in the article caught my eye.
"Shelley Ford, a spokesperson for Canadian Forces Health Services, confirmed in an email that combat deployments are correlated with risky drinking and substance abuse.

But she was quick to add a recent Canadian Forces survey suggested military personnel now use alcohol and drugs less than the general population. Only three per cent of Canadian Forces members admitted to using marijuana in 2008-09, compared to 17 per cent among civilians."

Her reasoning is because less Forces members admitted to using marijuana than did civilians admitting to it, than it follows "military personnel now use alcohol and drugs less than the general population." :facepalm:
I'm sure the consequences for admitting drug use are the same for the military members as the civilians. ::)

CF Health and Lifestyle surveys are quite anonymous, so you can pretty much say what you want.  You can even fudge the rank, gender, etc.

MM

Back in the days of my misspent youth both alcohol and drugs were readily available. I recall arriving in the battalion as a new officer - but not a newly joined subaltern - and being told about the delights that awaited us all in e.g. Amsterdam and Copenhagen. The emphasis was on women and beer - now and again someone would comment, disapprovingly, on the availability of drugs. We did have some drug use problems but not, I am convinced by the evidence of my own observation, on the scale of either the general population or some allied military forces. (One of the latter being, in my opinion, essentially crippled by drugs and some other social problems.)

(Alcohol was the 'drug of choice' and its abuse was a problem, and many, officers and soldiers alike, are still paying the price to sanctioned heavy drinking. Our military culture was a bit warped. The pendulum may have swunhg a bit too far in the other direction but I believe today's (rather restrictive) alcohol policies are better then the anything goes policies of the 1960s.)

Some years later, when I was commanding a major unit, I had occasion to try several (eight, I seem to recall) soldiers on drug charges; I awarded some pretty harsh punishment - about half had to be approved by a superior commander (and they all were). I practiced a technique called "management by wandering about" and, just after that trial, I noticed a generally high level of satisfaction with my handling of the situation. Most soldiers didn't like drugs. Some, a fairly small percentage used them, most did not and they disapproved of those who did.

All that is my way of saying that I think Shelley Ford, a spokesperson for Canadian Forces Health Services, is right. I suspect that drug use, while a problem for us you is below the levels in society at large.

I would agree with ER....the mentality for drug use is not there in any great amount, whereas the proscription of avoiding drugs tends to be already inherent  in those applying....it goes with the territory...

I did see a fair amount of marijuana use in Viet Nam, but it was severely (as in NOT TOLERATED) frowned upon in the field.  Heroin and other opiates were dismissed as a matter of principle. That's not to say it didn't happen, but it was not part of the lexicon.....

Back