• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grey Cup 2009

Best Grey Cup ever?

• 1989 - Sask over Hamilotn

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 1994- BC over Baltimore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know cause I am a loser who would rather watch the NFL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Todays Game: best Grey Cups ever?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As long as it was a good game that's all that counts - I'm not a fan of either teams.  Much rather see a tight Grey Cup than a Superbowl blow out any year.

MM

I want to send my buddy a message saying "way to go getting a starting position", but at the same time I don't want to bring up the fact somebody f**ked it up for them. Sigh.

I'm with you, medicineman.  I'm just very glad to see the CFL building on an already strong fan base.  It's definitely not the NFL, and I like it that way!

Chapeski said:
I want to send my buddy a message saying "way to go getting a starting position", but at the same time I don't want to bring up the fact somebody f**ked it up for them. Sigh.

They've got nothing to be ashamed of....just a bad penalty at the worst possible time.  The game could not possibly have been any closer......

As the TSN anouncers put it, can't ask for a better game. Underdog leads for 59:59. Veteran all stars come from behind to win game on last second scoring play, to claim lost trophy from last year.

They dont write books any better.

Ok new question:

Best Cup game ever, or is the 1989 Sask/Hamilton game still (my favorite) the best ever?

I went with '89, but only because '76 wasn't an option, and I'd be dating myself with that choice.  :)

OK, I'll try to be a magnanimous winner here...    ;D

On the one hand, I'm happy Montreal won, because #2 son now owes me $20.

On the other, I really would not have been upset if Saskatchewan won because they so clearly outplayed the Alouettes the entire game -- the melon-heads deserved to win. Especially when the winning points came from a team that somehow managed a 7-yard punt!

Again, because of the $20 life lesson to my son, I'm happy Montreal won, but......too many men on the field?!  WTF?! Look for a Special Team's Coach position being advertised in the Regina papers tomorrow.

And finally........Edmonton wasn't playing, so really -- who cares?!  ;)

Journeyman said:
And finally........Edmonton TORONTO wasn't playing, so really -- who cares?!  ;)

Great game!  Though the final penalty will be remembered as "THE Play", let us not forget the 3rd and 2 previous, along with the march just to get within range.

I was hoping for a more Canadian end to the game.  So, Montreal goes for the single-point convert following their touchdown, and pull within one.  Then, a wide field goal forces Sask to run it out.  Then the Canadian ROUGE ends up tying the game at the end.  But, in the end, the East won, so congrats to the Als!

And a very VERY classy showing by Gang Green in Calgary!

Good game Als, but the better team lost.  Riders have the greatest fans in the CFL, no question.

Kat Stevens said:
Good game Als, but the better team lost.  Riders have the greatest fans in the CFL, no question.

I'm puzzled by the number of times I'm seeing "the better team lost" and "the game belonged to the Riders".  That's sure not what the stats are showing.  Montreal led in first downs (25-20), passing yards (314 to 201), passing percentage (comp-att-int 26-39-0 to 17-29-2), and penalties (4-10 yds vs 4-47 yds).

Oh yeah, they led in the final score, too.    ;)

The Riders had the first half, but the Als battled back like troopers in the second half and that's what the score shows.

Kat Stevens said:
The Als won because of a bookkeeping error they scored more points.

There, fixed it up for you ;D

And yes, Rider fans are probably the best fans in the league.

It was a bookkeeping error, the coaches can't count, and the guys in the trenches paid for it.  Saaay, football really is like war, isn't it?

Occam said:
That's sure not what the stats are showing. 
I guess that would be the difference between theory and practice. Anyone with football experience, who actually watched the game, could not say the Als outplayed the Riders -- Montreal sucked, plain and simple. As noted by Kat, their crappy kicker got a second chance only because of stupidity by the Riders' staff.

So yes, the Als won. But only through good luck, not skilled playing.

Kat Stevens said:
The Als won because of a bookkeeping error.
Did you know that bookkeeping/bookkeeper is the only word in the English language that contains three contiguous pairs of letters  :nod:
[/geek trivia]

Technoviking said:
And yes, Rider fans are probably the best fans in the league.

They have to be;  I mean, what else is there to do in Regina, other than seek out watermelons to fashion as hats?  >:D

Journeyman said:
I guess that would be the difference between theory and practice. Anyone with football experience, who actually watched the game, could not say the Als outplayed the Riders -- Montreal sucked, plain and simple. As noted by Kat, their crappy kicker got a second chance only because of stupidity by the Riders' staff.

So yes, the Als won. But only through good luck, not skilled playing.

Meh, not the way I see it.  The Als had a far better second half than the Riders had a first half.  Montreal's turnovers were in the first half, the Riders' were in the second half, and far more costly in momentum.  As was mentioned earlier, the Riders seemed to forget that there are four quarters to a game of football.

Oh well....6 1/2 months 'til the 2010 season starts  ;D

Montreal had a better 4th quarter. In the 3rd, bit teams scored TDs.

It was an uncharacteristically poor 4th quarter by Sask, which had earned its way to the Cup by winning in that final 15 mins.

Back