• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gerber or knife? or both?

The bottom one looks like the Grohmann Survival knife, my pops carries one. Good design, excellent balance, but poor edge retention. You can get them at www.knifezone.ca

Trp Orange like rainman said it‘s the Grohmann survival knife. It‘s an excellent knife, one of the best i‘ve ever held but i‘ve heard a lot of people say grohmann knives (atleast in this series, survival, boat/jump etc) don‘t keep their edge very well. I havn‘t used mine enough to judge this for myself, it‘s still razor sharp but i‘m really careful with it.

One thing i really like the knife for is where i can carry it. I had the knife on the side of my tac vest and was told by my csm to hide it. Moved it to the back of the tac vest behind my canteen where it was pretty well hidden but i was told again to hide it. I tried carrying it on my belt for a little bit but it was awkard pulling your shirt my shirt over it then wearing the vest.
After seeing the movie ‘The Hunted‘ I started fiddeling around with how i could wear my knife and found that I could place the knife length wise across my back bewteen my belt and the belt loops (using the loops to hold the knife in plave). It‘s hidden pretty well and doesn‘t get in your way when your wearing a vest, just takes some used to getting it back in the case.

I always bring my gerber to the field or even on any type of excersise. You always need it for something. I hate troops that have gerbers but are just to lazy to bring them because they expect someone else to have them. Don‘t be that guy

Bring the Gerber.

I bought a Ka-Bar, which I still carry, but never really use.

The C7 Bayonet is effective for most other purposes...

If you‘re still thinking about a large knife, buy cheap, because it sucks breaking/losing a 180$ blade. It‘s really not worth it.

phpyhCCmZ.jpg

Ka-Bar D2 Extreme fighting/utility Knife

My knife, still razor sharp after 4 years of use and abuse

Now THAT is a knife. That would come in handy, when I have to fight off a group of enemy ninjas. :D

Originally posted by Farmboy:
[qb] This is the one I carry http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/288/234

I don‘t like the Swiss Army or multi tools because I can never get the blade out! [/qb]
Stop chewing your nails!

Im my opinion a great utility Knife is the Gerber Gator, Ive had mind for over 5 years now and its an absolutly fantastic piece of kit. that plus a Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool is about all most CSS types will probabbly need in the field.

Gator Blade On PPCLI Kit Shop

I don‘t really like folding knives though, because if the lock goes, so does the knife.. :(

edit: I‘m looking pretty hard at the Short KA-BAR... it‘s a 5.25 inch blade which doesn‘t seem overly big for field use...

Of all the funky and cool knives I have owned, played with, used or seen, I find the best on ever is teh tiny Swiss Army one on my car keys.

It has the fol:

2" sharp blade
nail file/screw driver
scissors
tooth pic; and
tweezers

Best of all its portable, and I have used it for the many obvious things such as cutting meat, and heaps of field uses. All for $24.95 Australian dollars.

Second to that is my Gerber multi-tool, as it has 1001 uses too. A slightly smaller and updated version thatn the CF one issued.

What it boils down to is the Gerber is in the pouch of my M9 (which is attached to my SA M83 LBV), and my Swiss job is in my pocket. So am I a fool for carrying three? Probably, but its necessary ( or so I think).

Cheers,

Wes :p

You can never have too many knives! Never know when you‘ll need to knife fight a bear to death...

Wes, what model of Gerber is that? I‘d like to get a multi-tool and I want a Gerber that can fit into the pouch on my M9 scabbard.

Back in 2000, I bought it at Wallmart in Regina for $45.00. Its got a finer needle nose plier than the CF one, plus it has plastic locking tab each sub-tool to lock in place, plus the tools have a raised portion on them so they can be grabbed. I have a box for it somewhere, and I‘ll post the model number. The tool lacks the scale in cm on it.

Cheers,

Wes

This is so dumb. I went to the house of knives today at the mall and he‘s like "sorry! you‘re not 18. you can‘t even look at a knife!"

BAH! I think I should be allowed. They give me a rifle but I can‘t buy a knife. :-\

I carry my issue field knife for F.E.‘s plus the issue Gerber Multi tool for F.E.‘s.

As to a comment made above about the issue bayonet no being sharp,it‘s meant to be a stabbing weapon not a butchers knife. ;)

Ya Alpha, you can be old enough to vote, and be deployed O/S, yet you cant have a beer with your Dad at the airport lounge before you leave because your only 18, and the drinking age is 19.

Sadly because others have abused things, being an adult at 18 for knives is just how it is now.

Cheers,

Wes

who cares... lost business for him.

Well, that store is over priced anyways.

There are many other ways underaged teens can get knives.

Ah, back in the day. I‘m on my way to 20 and I feel old... LOL

this is when I kinda wish we had american laws... y‘eno, go to the corner store and buy some bread, uzis, milk, tek-9s, eggs, gum... etc

hehe :D

I just ordered this knife http://www.knifezone.ca/ontario/ON-sp1.htm do you think its a good choice? and will carbon rust?

onsp1.jpg

Back