• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Armour

Albeit that the Italians , Slovaks, and Spanish in the eFP battlegroup use Freccia, Dardo, BMP 2, and Pizzaro.

I'd hate to be the battlegroup's maintenance officer. :cry:

🍻
Slovaks are no longer providing a rifle company.

The maintenance is largely handled by respective national interests. Far from ideal. The Danes are in Pirahana’s, or at least they were.

You can probably cut the BMPs, the way things are going I expect Slovakia to turncoat if things pop off haha.

They sure seemed to hate Russia when I worked with them, the govt there asked for an eFP BG in their country so I don’t know how close they are to Russia. Serbia they are not.

Slovaks are no longer providing a rifle company.

The maintenance is largely handled by respective national interests. Far from ideal. The Danes are in Pirahana’s, or at least they were.

They sure seemed to hate Russia when I worked with them, the govt there asked for an eFP BG in their country so I don’t know how close they are to Russia. Serbia they are not.
thats a case of leader vs population i think. Easier to buy one person. Eventually he'll be gone and Orban and Erdogan too

Next gen Western tanks are wild man. So many wicked bells and whistles on them. I wish we could get about 200-250 of them but alas, no moolah. Thanks for the vidya.
We'll get new tanks if the US and NATO say we need to do our part in the mud too and not just provide 6 fighter jets and a couple frigates. I dont think a Harris presidency is going to damp down the frustration in the US with allies not pulling their weight

We'll get new tanks if the US and NATO say we need to do our part in the mud too and not just provide 6 fighter jets and a couple frigates. I dont think a Harris presidency is going to damp down the frustration in the US with allies not pulling their weight
You're probably not wrong haha. Man the state of the Armoured Corps is fucking sad.

Something tells me Uncle Sam would never let the Abrams be built outside of the USA.
unless youre Egypt. But yeah unlikely to be worthwhile for a max 200 hull run.
But it is also why I remain intrigued by the tracked Boxer idea, or an electric drive LAV8 where were not forced into a preexisting powertrain arrangement

Reducing crew in a tank comes with a drop in maintenance. A drop in maintenance inevitably ends with your callsign being offline. Ive been out of the game for awhile, but I've yet to see a tank autoloader that can outpace a human loader.

Reducing crew in a tank comes with a drop in maintenance. A drop in maintenance inevitably ends with your callsign being offline. Ive been out of the game for awhile, but I've yet to see a tank autoloader that can outpace a human loader.

Not necessary.

Rethink the tank crew as a tank plus an mrt plus a transporter plus an ammo truck. One crew fights the tank while the other crews are on the transporter, mrt and ammo truck. 2 crew exposed to the fight. The crews rotate.

Not necessary.

Rethink the tank crew as a tank plus an mrt plus a transporter plus an ammo truck. One crew fights the tank while the other crews are on the transporter, mrt and ammo truck. 2 crew exposed to the fight. The crews rotate.
Your talking about rotating the echelon? What do you do with all those spare commanders when they rotate out? Still doesn't fix the maintenance problem. The MRT is a full time job manned by RCEME and is also a track. They have enough of their own problems. Perhaps I'm not following what your saying.

Not necessary.

I'm with Fishbone here. The amount of maintenance internal to the crew of a tank is insane, you need those boys pounding track to stay in the fight. At 120mm a human loader outpaces autoloaders, is safer and provides extra maintenance capacity. The loader is also something of an understudy to the crew commander, developing them to the next step. The calculus might change at 130mm or 140mm but we're decades off from that.

I thought its almost a done deal that the M1E3 or whatever and the Franco-German project were going to have autoloaders?

The French Army handle the loss of that crewmen replaced by the auto loader in an interesting way .
Each squadron equivalent gets a troop of VBLs this group provides both security and maintenance.
It's based on the way the French have organized their Armour since about 1943-44.

The French Army handle the loss of that crewmen replaced by the auto loader in an interesting way .
Each squadron equivalent gets a troop of VBLs this group provides both security and maintenance.
It's based on the way the French have organized their Armour since about 1943-44.
It is an interesting concept and it's actually 4 VBLs per troop, so you get 4 tanks and 2 armoured cars with a GPMG and possibly an Eryx system and 2 armoured cars with an HMG or GMG. They basically have internal recce to the squadron and have built in flank security, I bet our squadron commanders would salivate for that kind of flexibility.

Here're a couple of graphics of it.

a137e0_42f82ad531d94d9dabda3b938740d3bc~mv2.png

a137e0_0f90c0261eab4ae29b0005d997ff9693~mv2.png

And a link to a few more

The VBL is one of my favourite vehicles. A worthy successor to the Ferret.

🍻

Here're a couple of graphics of it.

a137e0_42f82ad531d94d9dabda3b938740d3bc~mv2.png

a137e0_0f90c0261eab4ae29b0005d997ff9693~mv2.png

And a link to a few more

The VBL is one of my favourite vehicles. A worthy successor to the Ferret.

🍻
IMHO instead of the TAPV we should have either purchased BL or manufactured them under license.

I'm with Fishbone here. The amount of maintenance internal to the crew of a tank is insane, you need those boys pounding track to stay in the fight. At 120mm a human loader outpaces autoloaders, is safer and provides extra maintenance capacity. The loader is also something of an understudy to the crew commander, developing them to the next step. The calculus might change at 130mm or 140mm but we're decades off from that.
Keep in mind the original intent of the Abram’s XM1E3 was to have a 140mm gun.

When GDLS unveiled the Abrams-X at AUSA two years ago did with the low risk option of the 120mm, as the Army had decided to stop upgrading the M1A2’s and had pivoted efforts towards a new Abram’s that would be lighter.

Back