• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Armour

The demise of the Tank has been proclaimed since 1917, but it has soldiered on for 90 years. This article suggests reasons the Tank might have reached the "best before" date, but I think there will still be a need for mobile protected firepower on the battlefield (even if the form changes):

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20111219.aspx

The Tank Is Dead, Long Live The Tank

December 19, 2011: Has it really happened this time? Is the tank on its way out? For several decades the main battle tank has been declared obsolete. Like the battleship, another weapon that depended on big guns and thick armor, the tank was seen as inevitably done in by faster, cheaper, and more numerous weapons that could destroy it. The first modern battleship was launched in 1906, but in less than half a century aircraft and submarines made the battleship obsolete and none were built after 1945. The tank has lasted longer than that. First appearing in combat during World War I (1914-18) the tank became a decisive weapon during World War II (1939-45) and continued to dominate battlefields to the present. That's over 90 years, twice as long as the battleship. But the tank, like the battleship, also became too expensive and too vulnerable to cheaper weapons.
But there's another major factor that kept the tank going for so long, the Cold War arms race. Russia saw the tank as their principal land warfare weapon and produced over 100,000 of them after World War II. Russia introduced a new model every decade from 1945 to the 1990s. The World War II T-34 gave way to the T-54, then the T-62, the T-72, the T-80, and the T-90. The United States responded with the M-48, M-60, and M-1.

As the Arab-Israeli wars, and the 1991 Gulf War demonstrated, the American tanks in the hands of well-trained crews could handily defeat larger numbers of Russian tanks. In addition, the M-1 with its use of high tech sensors, composite armor, and depleted uranium shells, set a new standard for tank design and effectiveness. The high price of the M-1, nearly five million dollars each, eventually proved to be a worthy investment. With Russia dropping out of the arms race when the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 and no one else willing, or able, to afford a tank to match the M-1, the end of the line has been reached. Well, a few nations could match the M-1 (Israel, Britain, and Germany) but none of these were willing to build many of them, or come up with a radical new design that would keep the tank relevant on the modern battlefield.

The United States ended up with 7,000 M-1s when the Cold War ended. Most of the huge Russian tank force was left parked all over the place, with no cash available to operate or maintain them. Russia was selling off its best tanks for less than a million dollars each but no one thought of these as anything more than targets in a battle with M-1s. The world will still have plenty of tanks for the next few decades, until the last of the 50,000 Cold War surplus Russian tanks rusts into uselessness. Russia recently decided to speed up that process and scrap the last of its Cold War tanks. Russias new tanks are T-90s, an extensive upgrade of the Cold War era T-72. The T-90, on paper, is a match for the M-1 but the T-90 has not been in combat, with anyone, yet.

But why should the tank disappear now? Simply because the main reason for the tank was to provide a weapon that could battle its way past artillery fire and determined infantry (armed with machine-guns and anti-tank weapons). With modern electronics, cheaper precision rockets and bombs can deliver the firepower and flexibility that only tanks could provide in the past. These new weapons are easier to use and maintain than tanks, which have always been complex and difficult to keep going. Just like admirals did the math and decided that submarines and aircraft were cheaper and more effective than battleships, generals the world over will consider their options and go with what they feel will work best. There won't be much choice. With few new tanks being built and cheaper, more effective, weapons available.

There will have to be some battles to make the point. China and India are still building tanks, using technology far behind and a lot cheaper than the M-1. But with smarter and cheaper anti-tank weapons available (missiles, "smart mines", and air delivered robot tank killers like SADARM) it will only take one incident of the "cheap and smart" stuff beating up on a lot of tanks to make the point. Another telling sign is the lack of enthusiasm in America and Russia for designing a replacement for current tanks, at least not a replacement that features the "bigger gun and thicker armor" that has characterized tank development for the past 90 years.

Then again, it may be premature to write off the tank. For a weapon that has been dismissed as obsolete for decades it still survives. True, there are a lot fewer tanks in use now (less than 50,000) than there were at the end of the Cold War (over 100,000). And the new ones being built are not sufficient to replace those that wear out each year. Less affluent nations will still find tanks useful against their own citizens, or equally poor neighbors who also have some tanks. The U.S. and its allies found out that the M-1 and similar Western tanks were very useful against irregulars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The math, however, is unavoidable. Unless a new arms race begins the number of tanks in service will slowly decline year by year. Meanwhile, the number of "smart weapons" grows rapidly. The tank won't completely disappear soon but never again will it be the key weapon for ground warfare.

You will remember, Gen Rick Hillier as CDS, and a "Black Hatter", wrote a full page article in the Ottawa Citizen on how the tank was dead and we would be purchasing wheeled vehicles.  He was supporting the purchase of the MGS to replace the Leopard 1 C1 tanks that we would soon be retiring.  Then along came tough times in Afghanistan and look what happened; we bought Leopard 2 tanks --  Thank the Lord, not the MGS (see discussions on MGS).

Just like the tank was proclaimed "dead" after the 1973 Arab Isreali war, or at the end of WWII, or even during WWI where tanks were often disabled by bad terrain or destroyed by heavy rifles and field artillery.

I am hardly arguing the Tank is dead, there will always be a need for mobile, protected firepower. What this article is highlighting are several issues:

1. The need for large numbers of tanks may have been an artifact of the Cold War against a continental power (if we had been fighting a "cold war" against an oceanic power, there may have been a race to produce large numbers of warships rather than tanks, for example).

2. Modern tanks are very expensive, yet the ability of Infantry and other arms to take on tanks with inexpensive weapons is increasing exponentially. The cost/benefit ratio of tanks may finally be tipping against them. (This is the argument against tanks since the beginning, and is probably the weakest on against them)

3. Tanks in their current form have been around since the end of WWII (which is why the Leopard 2 is considered a "Generation 3" tank i.e. the third generation since WWII formalized the modern tank). While they are pretty much invincible across the frontal arc, modern "smart" weapons can attack from all aspects and angles. A new form factor may be needed, or the entire issue of protected mobility and firepower needs to be rethought and new solutions developed.

What comes after the tank? Probably lots of things. Ideally armies will want smaller, faster and cheaper machines they can field across strategic distances with the same levels of firepower, mobility and protection as current Generation Three machines. (Good luck with that). My personal view is to explore General Senger und Etterlin’s main battle air vehicle concept: The main battle air vehicle uses ground tactically without relying on it for mobility. This at least can get smaller and faster (but probably wildly expensive).

Thucydides said:
Just like the tank was proclaimed "dead" after the 1973 Arab Isreali war, or at the end of WWII, or even during WWI where tanks were often disabled by bad terrain or destroyed by heavy rifles and field artillery.

I am hardly arguing the Tank is dead, there will always be a need for mobile, protected firepower. What this article is highlighting are several issues:

1. The need for large numbers of tanks may have been an artifact of the Cold War against a continental power (if we had been fighting a "cold war" against an oceanic power, there may have been a race to produce large numbers of warships rather than tanks, for example).

2. Modern tanks are very expensive, yet the ability of Infantry and other arms to take on tanks with inexpensive weapons is increasing exponentially. The cost/benefit ratio of tanks may finally be tipping against them. (This is the argument against tanks since the beginning, and is probably the weakest on against them)

3. Tanks in their current form have been around since the end of WWII (which is why the Leopard 2 is considered a "Generation 3" tank i.e. the third generation since WWII formalized the modern tank). While they are pretty much invincible across the frontal arc, modern "smart" weapons can attack from all aspects and angles. A new form factor may be needed, or the entire issue of protected mobility and firepower needs to be rethought and new solutions developed.

What comes after the tank? Probably lots of things. Ideally armies will want smaller, faster and cheaper machines they can field across strategic distances with the same levels of firepower, mobility and protection as current Generation Three machines. (Good luck with that). My personal view is to explore General Senger und Etterlin’s main battle air vehicle concept: The main battle air vehicle uses ground tactically without relying on it for mobility. This at least can get smaller and faster (but probably wildly expensive).

Aren't your reasons the same reason why the Leopard 2A7 and the Leopard 2E now exist?

Also, I thought that the response to anti-tank weaponry against tanks was active protection systems that could take out Hellfire and Javelin missiles.

knock-knock-usmc-demotivational-posters-1298517046.jpg

Active response and clever new layouts (like the Merkava family) have given the traditional tank the ability to survive a while longer (and the continuing need for protected mobility and firepower are the other drivers), the issue is where do we reach the point of diminishing returns?

Back in the 1980's, conventional wisdom suggested that the replacement for the M1 and Leopard 2 series of tanks would need 140mm cannons and much more armour protection. The "Block 3" program never got beyond paper (and I don't even recall any pictures of "paper tanks" that were supposed to represent the Block 3), probably because the vast increase in size and weight caused more problems than it was worth. Even Leopard 2's mounting 140mm cannons had many issues with balance and effectively controlling the firepower; this direction was also a dead end (the L-55 120mm cannon on a |Leopard 2 has some issues due to the added length). Other ideas that were popular at the time included external gun mounts and protected "crew pods" in an attempt to reduce the protected volume and mass of armour protection. An overview is on this site: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3860.0

Interestingly enough, by the 1990's the pendulum had swung th other way and the FCS program was looking for vehicles in the 20 ton range.

Given that modern tanks cost 5 million + per unit, getting to a new and unorthodox design is going to be difficult from a financial point of view.

I don't think active armour will ever reach the level of some of the concepts that are out.  360 protection would require 360 radar with projectiles, laser, blast or whatever is meant to intercept the incoming projectile.  Just doesn't seem feasible to me, and I am not even taking cost into effect.  We'll probably see force shields before we see a workable 360 active armour.  I am sure these systems may work great in a test environment, but I am very skeptical about a battle environment.  I do think the technology is worth investing in, but I think these active armours would be better suited for static installations.

The more likely solution to me is lighter, more effective armour, which will not be cheap either, but will provide greater mobility (tactical and strategic) while still offering comparable protection.

GnyHwy said:
I don't think active armour will ever reach the level of some of the concepts that are out.  360 protection would require 360 radar with projectiles, laser, blast or whatever is meant to intercept the incoming projectile.  Just doesn't seem feasible to me, and I am not even taking cost into effect.  We'll probably see force shields before we see a workable 360 active armour.  I am sure these systems may work great in a test environment, but I am very skeptical about a battle environment.  I do think the technology is worth investing in, but I think these active armours would be better suited for static installations.

The more likely solution to me is lighter, more effective armour, which will not be cheap either, but will provide greater mobility (tactical and strategic) while still offering comparable protection.

WW2 technology is too outdated. If you want more protection it's going to be heavier. You can no longer pump out T-34's and T-54's that have great protection for a light weight.

Active protection isn't a concept. It's designed and working, USSR tried making it and they failed. The US active protection system still has a lot of kinks to work out and Rafael's is about 90% operational. Last I heard they were having problems with a 100% kill rate against Javelin missiles. The most interesting thing about active protection is it only intercepts what's going to hit the tank.

SevenSixTwo said:
The most interesting thing about active protection is it only intercepts what's going to hit the tank.

yes....and?

SevenSixTwo said:
WW2 technology is too outdated. If you want more protection it's going to be heavier.

Not sure what your getting at here.  Of course WWII technology is out of date, but adding more armour for more protection and making it heavier is WWII technology.

SevenSixTwo said:
Active protection isn't a concept. It's designed and working, USSR tried making it and they failed. The US active protection system still has a lot of kinks to work out and Rafael's is about 90% operational. Last I heard they were having problems with a 100% kill rate against Javelin missiles. The most interesting thing about active protection is it only intercepts what's going to hit the tank.

From the quote above, it doesn't sounds like it's working at all.  USSR can't do it, the US (tech innovators) have kinks, and the Rafael's is about 90% operational. 

What is 90% operational?  The last 10% is probably the hardest part; the operational field testing, that I suspect is giving them a lot of problems.  Also, the 100% kill rate they are after is probably in a controlled environment, no where near battlefield conditions.

Kinda sounds like the anti-mortar air defence laser projects.  They successfully shot down a 60mm mortar.  What they don't tell you is how many attempts it took them. 

Possible WW 7 technologies that can protect future vehicles:

Lightweight hyperstrength materials

Metamaterial sheathes that direct or redirect energy around the target (rendering it invisible to some or all wavelengths)

Technologies that can redirect or cancel out shockwaves from explosions.

Hyper energetic engine and power systems (high speed movement and powering high energy weapons)

Battlefield networking to detect incoming fire

Remote systems linked to the primary vehicle (UGV's that extend sensors and weapons away from the primary platform)

I'm sure you can think of more.

The Israeli "Trophy" system is credited with destroying an incoming missile in the field in March 2011

A bit of a survey of armour developments, Dynamic systems, non explosive reactive armour and "electric armour" are discussed:

http://www.economist.com/node/18750636

The armour strikes back
Military technology: Better protection systems based on a range of new technologies are helping to keep armoured vehicles in the fight
Jun 2nd 2011 | from the print edition

IN THE first few days of the Yom Kippur war in October 1973, Israeli armoured units were attacked by Egyptian forces armed with Soviet-made anti-tank missiles. The Israelis “suffered wholesale destruction”, according to an American Army manual written soon afterwards to help counter the weapon in question. There was not much that could be done. As the American guide noted, the missile system—called Sagger by Western forces—could be carried in a suitcase, launched and steered using a joystick to hit a target 3km (1.9 miles) away. It would then penetrate any vehicle armour in existence.

Tanks had been destroyed with weapons carried by foot soldiers before; America introduced its M1 Bazooka during the second world war. But never had infantry so decimated armoured vehicles. Of Israel’s roughly 2,120 tanks, about 840 were destroyed during the 20-day war. The era when “the tank was king” had ended, says Keith Brendley, head of Artis, an American firm that develops protection systems for military vehicles. Since then anti-tank munitions have become even more powerful, but steel armours have improved little. Now, however, aided with new materials and advanced sensors, a promising and eclectic array of alternative and often ingenious new forms of armour is emerging.

Anti-tank missiles and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) penetrate armour with a shaped charge. This explodes after the tip of the warhead has sunk into the target. The brunt of the blast is projected straight ahead, forcing a powerful spike of metal, usually copper, into and through the armour. Using steel alone, few vehicles today could carry enough armour to stop even an inexpensive RPG reliably.

Armour that explodes? Yes, really

To provide added protection, engineers have developed explosive-reactive armour. This involves covering parts of a vehicle with bricks of plastic explosives sandwiched between metal plates. When a warhead hits the outer metal plate, the explosives underneath (also specially shaped) detonate and force the sandwich to rapidly bulge as the plates move apart. This can shear the armour-piercing spike into bits, which are then less likely to pierce the underlying armour.

The Israel Defence Forces, shaken by their losses during the Yom Kippur war, developed an early but effective explosive-reactive armour that kept tank losses exceptionally light during the 1982 Lebanon war. The innovation, however, created a new problem: the explosive bricks generate shrapnel which can kill nearby infantry or civilians. As a result, when America’s Bradley and Stryker fighting vehicles are clad in explosive-reactive armour they are not used in civilian areas.

Dynamit Nobel Defence, based in Burbach, Germany, is marketing a new metal-free explosive armour, called CLARA, that limits the number of such flying fragments. (The replacement materials are secret.) But no army has purchased it. Defence officials with one western European government have expressed concern that the extra protection to their armoured-vehicle crews would come at too great a cost: even explosive armours that produce less shrapnel could unacceptably endanger people near vehicles. Peter Lehniger of Dynamit Nobel Defence concedes that the armour “may not be, from a moral point of view, a good trade-off”.

Engineers are finding ways to use less explosive material. OJSC NII Stali, a Russian manufacturer, claims that by 2008 its reactive armour required only a quarter of the amount of explosives used in its 1999 version, but provided just as much protection. The earlier model’s explosives detonated three to five microseconds after a warhead strike. Such “sluggishness”, according to the firm, has been eliminated, reducing the penetrating power of the spike. A danger, however, is that faster-reacting, more-sensitive explosives might detonate accidentally if hit by a bullet or another vehicle.

OJSC NII Stali and others are now developing non-explosive reactive armour, known as NxRA. This uses “energetic” but non-detonating rubber-like materials. Sandwiched between hard plates, they discharge a rapidly expanding gas to absorb energy from a warhead. The gas pushes out the external layer of armour so that it encounters the emerging spike at a glancing angle. “Bulging armour”, as this system is sometimes called, also increases the distance a spike must travel to enter the crew compartment.

Non-explosive reactive armours typically provide less stopping power, but they have an advantage in countering “tandem charge” munitions from systems like America’s shoulder-launched Javelin and aircraft-launched Hellfire missiles. Once a brick of explosive armour detonates, that spot becomes more vulnerable to a second charge carried towards the rear of the same munition and detonated about 500 microseconds later. Rubbery non-explosive armour, in contrast, often remains partially intact. So-called “cage” armour can provide additional protection against tandem charges: metal bars (or even a strong fabric-like material) can make a warhead’s first charge detonate a couple of dozen centimetres away from the vehicle.

With a clean hit, the Russian-made RPG-7, the most widely used anti-tank weapon, can sometimes penetrate more than 25cm of solid steel. A more recent model, the RPG-29, is even more formidable. To counter it, some European Union countries are developing electric armour. This consists of two electrically charged metal plates separated by an insulating layer. The idea is that when hit, the metal in a projectile shorts the two charged plates together, forming a circuit and releasing a surge of electricity which can break the warhead up.

Antoine Vincent, in charge of electric armour for the European Defence Agency (EDA), says it has tested well against RPGs. A study by BMT Defence Services, a British firm, notes that electric armour, being lightweight, makes it easier to airlift vehicles. Even so, neither BMT nor the EDA think the technology will be deployed soon. It has proven difficult to rearm the metal plates from batteries fast enough to zap the second charge of a tandem warhead. Some of the power-management technologies being developed for electric vehicles may help on that front. But, says Mr Vincent, electric armour still does not deliver enough electricity to fry the metal in many kinetic-energy projectiles, which destroy armour with their impact. An RPG warhead may eject a copper spike weighing several hundred grams. Kinetic-energy projectiles can weigh several kilograms.

Another approach is to use new materials. Steel armour performs well against a powerful, broad blast, but if the energy is focused on a small spot the metal can “melt like butter”, says an engineer with an American manufacturer of armoured vehicles. To cope with that, scientists have developed hard ceramic composites made from rubber and epoxy resins. Unlike steel, they respond to tremendous pressure by snapping. This action can break up a projectile or a shaped charge. A ceramic armour called Dorchester Level 2, used on British Challenger 2 tanks, is reportedly at least three times as resistant to some strikes as the same weight of steel.

The shockwave from a buried “improvised explosive device” (IED) can tear into a vehicle or toss it over. SJH Projects, a small British company, has developed a so-called “stone sponge” material that, fixed to a vehicle’s undercarriage, partially absorbs the blast. XPT, as it is called, is a roughly 2cm-thick sheet of silica particles glued together with a strong, heat-resistant resin. Small pores, visible with a magnifying glass, channel the blast into mazes of micro-chambers. As they are destroyed, the blast-energy is absorbed. It costs about $17,000 to protect a jeep-sized vehicle using XPT, and it only works once. Steve Holland, the owner of SJH Projects, says NATO trials with crash-test dummies show that the material dramatically reduces spine and skeletal injuries.

Does this mean armour is catching up with weapons technology? Hardly. Armour is getting better, but weapons are getting deadlier. Consider the Panzerfaust 3 (literally, “tankfist”), a shoulder-fired anti-tank guided missile that flies at more than 720kph (450mph). After striking its target, the exploding warhead shoots out a spike of copper at more than 7km a second (25,200kph) with enough energy to blast through a metre of steel, or any armoured vehicle used today, according to its manufacturer, Dynamit Nobel Defence. (Like many defence suppliers, it makes both weapons and anti-weapon systems.)

Moreover, some munitions can kill a tank crew without even penetrating the armour. A high-explosive munition known as “squash head”, fired by some British tanks, flattens a ball of plastic explosives against an armoured vehicle. It immediately explodes, transmitting a compression shock wave into the crew compartment, where it strips off “spall”—flakes of metal, some the size of a frisbee—that fly into occupants. Summing up the outlook for vehicle survivability, Stuart Wheeler, an armour expert at the Tank Museum in Bovington, England, says: “It looks grim.” Armour and vehicle designers, he says, are still looking for a comeback.

Fight fire with fire

It may be on the way. On March 1st an RPG was fired at an Israeli tank patrolling near the Gaza Strip security barrier. A radar system on the tank tracked the incoming warhead, feeding data to a computerised gun that shot it down with a small burst of projectiles. Israel plans to deploy the system, called Trophy, more widely. Daniel Klein, an armaments official at the EDA, reckons that the foiled attack, probably the first of its kind, bodes well for defending military vehicles. An additional benefit, he believes, is that Trophy and other so-called “active protection” systems are lightweight. Some modern military vehicles have become so heavy with armour that their manoeuvrability is impaired and they are unable to use certain roads and bridges.

The new Iron Curtain
Iron Curtain, another active-protection system, has been developed for American forces by Artis. It uses radar and optical sensors to calculate the trajectory of an incoming warhead, and then intercepts it with a projectile fired from a roof-rack (pictured). The impact causes the warhead to combust before it hits the armour. Mr Lehniger, of Dynamit Nobel Defence, says that Iron Curtain and similar systems might be able to defeat his firm’s Panzerfaust 3 missile. If so, the achievement will be especially instructive to those who, decades ago, considered protecting vehicles to be a doomed endeavour.

An amphibious UGV. These things are getting more and more versatile as time goes by:

http://www.howeandhowe.com/vehicles.php?prod=riptide

DESCRIPTION
With guidance from the Navy (SF) and Army (Picatinnay Arsenal ARDEC) Howe and Howe Technologies have developed an amphibious version of the highly acclaimed UGV Ripsaw platform apply name 'Riptide'. Possessing 90% of Ripsaw's terrestrial capability coupled with the newly added high speed marine capability, Riptide will become a valuable tool in any arsenal and push the future of UGVoperations. Download Brochure

SPECIFICATIONS
Height: 66 in.
Length: 168 in.
Width: 102 in.
Weight: 8,000 LBS.
Top Speed: 65 mph
Top Speed Water: 15-25 knots
Suspension: 16 in. Travel
Ground Clearance: 20 in.
Propulsion (Land): Tracked 6.6 Duramax Allison 1000
Propulsion (Water): Dual 251 Ultra Dynamics Jet Drives and Tracks
Full Hull Displacement: 14,000 lbs.
Operation: Two man and Fully Unmanned
Weapon System: Picatinny Light Weight RWS
Hull: 6061 Aluminum
Power Transmission: Howe and Howe Technologies Proprietary Clutch System
Controls: Drive by Wire PLC
Payload: 2000 lbs.
Escape Hatches: 1 bottom, 1 top
Viewing Ports: 0.5" Poly Carbonate
Armor: Howe and Howe Proprietary level 4 on vehicle vitals
Intended Mission: Manned and Unmanned harbor patrol and protection, high speed amphibious assault and operations.

The company offers a wide family of vehicles. The carrying capacity and weapons mount is rather small, but the small size and high speed makes it an interesting option to perform scouting, establish blocking positions before an enemy can react or lead the assault, among other things. UGV transport vehicles carrying supplies would be a great addition to the CQ's toolkit, and it would be interesting to see if the chassis can be adapted for engineering tasks as well.

Retrofuture armour. This seems to be the remains of an M-1 "Block 3" test bed:

Self-steering bullet researched by US weapons experts
31 January 2012
Article Link

A self-guiding bullet that can steer itself towards its target is being developed for use by the US military.

The bullet uses tiny fins to correct the course of its flight allowing it to hit laser-illuminated targets.

It is designed to be capable of hitting objects at distances of about 2km (1.24 miles). Work on a prototype suggests that accuracy is best at longer ranges.

A think tank says the tech is well-suited to snipers, but worries about it being marketed to the public.

Work on the project is being carried out by an Albuquerque-based subsidiary of defence contractor Lockheed Martin on behalf of the US government.

The current prototype involves a 4in (10cm) bullet which includes an optical sensor in its nose to detect the laser. This information is then processed and used to move motors within the bullet which steer tiny fins, altering the ammunition's path.

"We can make corrections 30 times per second," said researcher Red Jones.

"That means we can over-correct, so we don't have to be as precise each time."

Accuracy
The team has carried out both field tests and computer simulations, and says "engineering issues" remain. However, they add that they are confident of bringing the product to market.
More on link

George Wallace said:
;D

10 cm eh?

That is .5 cm short of being a 105mm tank round.

Well.....if they tie it to facial recognition software.....it would save a lot of shells...... ;D

Don't tanks, LRAAWs and ATGMs already effectively engage at these ranges?  Not sure where the deficiency is.

Edited to add:  Ok I see now, it is not a 4 inch calibre.  It is a 4 inch long dart.  Not an anti-armour weapon, but an anti-pers bullet.

Back