• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From Pte to General, has it ever been done???

General Howard Graham who was CDS during the 1950s was a Private in the 15th Bn CEF (48th Highlanders)

Aye Dileas

Rick Goebel said:
I went from Fusilier (Pte) up to Sgt then to 2Lt and up to LCol.   The Commander of Central Command (what would now be LFCA) when I became an officer was Brig MacIntosh (McIntosh?) who went from Pte to WO I (now CWO) and Lt to Brig (now BGen).   Another MacIntosh in my own unit was a troop with me, stayed an NCM, became an RSM, took a commission and became a CO before I did.
I know 2 Gents right now who went from Sapper to Lt. Col,one is the D.C.O. of 39 Bd. right now.
The other is in charge of getting the new E.S.S. up and running in Chilliwack.
I first met them when they were Sgt and Cpl,rerespectively.

In the case of an individual who has worked his way up through the ranks from a private to a General, how typically does the commission come about? Does the soldier put in for it or do those further up the chain of command recognize his talents and award it?

Thank you

Bicque said:
In the case of an individual who has worked his way up through the ranks from a private to a General, how typically does the commission come about? Does the soldier put in for it or do those further up the chain of command recognize his talents and award it?

Thank you
Dedication and hard work and a bit of God on your side. ;)

It's very good to read that many people now, and in the past have went from beginning as NCM to high ranking officer. I'm the type of person that has to either do it all the way or not at all. I always want to excell as far as possible with my career... When.. I get my career that is! :P

Although it's obviously not easy at all to go all the way up like that, I bet if you have combat experience it helps. Is that a requirement for any officer rank or just another thing that the higher ups would consider sort of a "blue" chit on your file? I know in certain parts of certain militaries around the world, it's looked upon STRONGLY for promotion if you've been in combat/active duty ops.

Another thing, example> In the United States Air Force, to be considered to be a Stealth Pilot or SR-71 Blackbird pilot you have to be married. It's a requirement.Why you ask? Apparrently that shows that you have maturity and can handle stressfull situations etc... I found that out watching a special on Discovery channel few' years back. Is there any portion of our military that requires that?

Personally I don't think someone has to be married to prove thier maturity but it would be a good damn indicator...

Joe
:cdn:

Recruit Joe said:
Okay, as I see it now days, you normally enter the CF as a Private, NCM, or Officer, usually through the ROTP.

I've heard stories back in the day of Privates making it through to Officer ranks! WW2 and the like...

Is it possible? Has it happened? Is there an award for such an accomplishment? Are there any current members who have done this/are still serving? Is it a myth/legend?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Joe
PS> Sorry if this has been covered B4...

:cdn:
Yes, Gen Dextraze (not sure of the spelling of his last name), he joined as a Pte and finished his career as CDS in the 1970's.

Just a point to note about FM Sir William Robertson.  He is the only soldier known to have actually held every rank from Trooper to Field Marshal.

So there is no one else to compare him against.

In the Second World War the stated policy was that, according to a statement by the MND on 15 November 1940, "for the future every candidate for a commission in the Canadian Army must first pass through the ranks." In actual fact, of the 43,244 individuals granted commissions in the Canadian army in the Second World War, less than half - 20,723 - rose from the ranks.

Closer to home, I know several generals who rose from the ranks, including Lieutenant General Mike Jeffery, who was Chief of the Land Staff, while many others, including myself, had also served in the ranks before being selected for officer training. To the credit of our army and our nation, class and family circumstances has never been an absolute limitation on one's chances to become an officer.

Think the American General Stilwell started as a private and achieved high command in China during World War 2, cheers, mdh

Actually Pte Joe, a former Private soldier of your own regiment rose to General rank.

Major General Sir Frederick Benson, KCB, was born in St Catharines. He joined the 19th Battalion of Infantry and served during the Fenian raids of 1866. After graduating from RMC, he joined the British Army and served in India, Egypt, and South Africa. He was knighted and retired as a MGen in 1910. On the outbreak of the First World War he was recalled to active service and appointed Director of Transport and Remounts. He undertook a North American tour to buy horses and by the summer of 1915 had shipped 250,000 to the UK. He died in Montreal in August 1915 and is buried in St Catharines. There were over 3,000 soldiers on parade at his funeral (the 19th Regiment, 44th Regiment and a number of CEF battalions undergoing training at Camp Niagara).

I shouild have added that he was appointed Honorary Colonel of the 19th St. Catharines Regiment on 25 May 1905. The appointment of Honorary Colonels in the Militia was instituted in that year and General Benson's appointment was the first in the St. Catharines' branch of the Regimental lineage.

Not a General, but their boss...Brooke Claxton was a Battery Sergeant Major in the First World War and was Minister of National Defence from 1946 to 1954.

WOmombo said:
Yes, Gen Dextraze (not sure of the spelling of his last name), he joined as a Pte and finished his career as CDS in the 1970's.

In fact, as far as I know, Gen Dextraze was the only Canadian ever to rise from Private to Full General.

Joined the Fusiliers Mont-Royal in 1940, promoted to Cpl then Sgt and commissioned in 1942.  Was made CDS in 1972 and served as chief of staff of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in the Congo.

He passed away in 1993.

Private Joe:-

Here's another man of your regiment who began his military career as a Private soldier and attained General rank:--

Brigadier General Frederick W Hill, CB, CMG, DSO, VD was born in Welland, Ontario, in 1866 and first saw military service in K Company (or the University of Toronto Company) of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. He transferred to the 44th Regiment in 1885, and attended Niagara Camp as a bugler. He rose to command the regiment prior to the outbreak of the First World War. In civilian life he practiced law in Niagara Falls, Ontario. He commanded the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion from its formation in Valcartier until January of 1916 (including the period of the German gas attacks at Ypres in April 1915) when he was promoted and given command of the 9th Infantry Brigade, CEF. He commanded the brigade until July 1918. He frequently commanded the 3rd Division in action. After relinquishing command of the brigade he then assumed command of Whitley Area in England. In 1920 he served as Assistant Adjutant and Quartermaster General of Military District No 3. He later moved to Fredericton, New Brunswick, and served as Honorary Colonel of the Carleton and York Regiment.

Major General Petras started as a Pte and worked his way up through the entire rank system.

My question is 'Can it be done now?'
I've heard that the only way into the officers ranks now is through a university degree/diploma
How much of a chance is it for privates who haven't gone to university or aren't planning to go to become a higher ranking officer?

GENOM Soldier said:
I've heard that the only way into the officers ranks now is through a university degree/diploma
How much of a chance is it for privates who haven't gone to university or aren't planning to go to become a higher ranking officer?

Why dont you just go to university if youre so set on it?

GENOM Soldier said:

The chances are slim enough (methematically tending to zero) that I would not recommend it as a career plan.

Back