• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Two years later, bumped with the latest ...
My faith in the Lethbridge Crown Prosecutor's office is less than zero.

I truly hope these men get a fair trial, and that any evidence presented against them is presented in context & that any witnesses that may be friendly to their case be permitted to testify without undue pressure or influence from any evil influences who may happen to work there.

That being said, if they are in fact guilty, so he it. May justice take its course.

I truly hope these men get a fair trial, and that any evidence presented against them is presented in context & that any witnesses that may be friendly to their case be permitted to testify without undue pressure or influence from any evil influences who may happen to work there.

That being said, if they are in fact guilty, so he it. May justice take its course.
Crown is still presenting its case. We’ll see in the near future what witnesses defense thinks it’s helpful to their case to call.

You think the Crown is going to purposely sabotage their own case by presenting some kind of false evidence to a jury made up of people from southern Alberta, in a case related to Covid?

You think the Crown is going to purposely sabotage their own case by presenting some kind of false evidence to a jury made up of people from southern Alberta, in a case related to Covid?
The crown’s opening said they would be presenting wiretap evidence. I don’t think that’s been presented yet. Intercepted communications are often some of the strongest and most damning evidence in a case… That’ll be interesting.

The two remaining accused from Coutts have been acquitted by the jury of conspiracy to murder police, and convicted of weapons charges and mischief, plus an explosives charge for one of them. Sentencing to follow, and it should be interesting in the judge’s analysis of factors given the highly unusual circumstances of the case.

The wheels of justice continue to turn -
The two remaining accused from Coutts have been acquitted by the jury of conspiracy to murder police, and convicted of weapons charges and mischief, plus an explosives charge for one of them. Sentencing to follow ...
Speaking of sentencing, it's at the "duelling suggestions" phase ....
Also archived here if previous link doesn't work.

The wheels of justice continue to turn -

Speaking of sentencing, it's at the "duelling suggestions" phase ....
Also archived here if previous link doesn't work.
Yup, gonna be interesting to see the sentence. Crown won’t get everything it asks, but they’ll probably have time left to serve. The judge isn’t buying their excuses from their testimony, based on his comments, and that will translate to them not being seen as accepting responsibility. That will weigh on the judge’s mind in determining a sentence.

Neither are to serve their full sentences, as Justice David Labrenz gave them nearly four years credit for time they have already spent in custody.

Both were convicted of mischief and possession of a firearm dangerous to the public peace, while Olienick was also found guilty of possession of a pipe bomb.

A jury found them not guilty of the most serious charge they faced — conspiracy to murder police officers at the blockade.

Beat me the punch, Dimsum.

What surprises me overall about this whole thing was how long it's taken them to get here, but I'll admit I haven't been following the case specifics too closely

Did the judge give these guys a 'win' in a sense by giving them the sentence he did? Because if we are going by the norms of federal corrections & post institution commitments, these guys are now overdue to be released from custody, no?

Beat me the punch, Dimsum.

What surprises me overall about this whole thing was how long it's taken them to get here, but I'll admit I haven't been following the case specifics too closely

Did the judge give these guys a 'win' in a sense by giving them the sentence he did? Because if we are going by the norms of federal corrections & post institution commitments, these guys are now overdue to be released from custody, no?
No. Parole is calculated off the remaining custodial sentence. If they got six and a half with four years’ credit for time served, that’ll leave roughly thirty months left to serve. They’d be eligible for early parole at a third of that, and would get statutory release parole at two thirds unless they really screw up. So they still have a chunk of time left to serve.

It’s a fitting sentence given the significant aggravating factors in the case. Their remaining time to serve is relatively modest, but the total sentence definitely still serves as a warning to others who would do what they did for the reasons they did.

Their two co-accused must be feeling better about their plea deals.

No. Parole is calculated off the remaining custodial sentence. If they got six and a half with four years’ credit for time served, that’ll leave roughly thirty months left to serve. They’d be eligible for early parole at a third of that, and would get statutory release parole at two thirds unless they really screw up. So they still have a chunk of time left to serve.

It’s a fitting sentence given the significant aggravating factors in the case. Their remaining time to serve is relatively modest, but the total sentence definitely still serves as a warning to others who would do what they did for the reasons they did.

Their two co-accused must be feeling better about their plea deals.
As usual Brihard, you offer a great reply with important context.

I agree that aggravating factors, the sentence seems fitting.

A lot of people have commented in other forums and on social media that they feel the sentence is too harsh given that rapists tend to spend less time in prison than these 2 will - but I highly doubt most of those commentators know the aggravating factors involved

As usual Brihard, you offer a great reply with important context.

I agree that aggravating factors, the sentence seems fitting.

A lot of people have commented in other forums and on social media that they feel the sentence is too harsh given that rapists tend to spend less time in prison than these 2 will - but I highly doubt most of those commentators know the aggravating factors involved
Or care.. doncha know these" Blessed Saints" are holy martyrs to FREEDOOOOOOOMMMM !!!!
* Sigh *
Anybody want to bet how many and whose bank accounts will fatten up from "donations to the cause."
I see a new a new pickup truck or maybe a Winter cruise in somebody's somebody's future...
But then again perhaps I'm just being cynical.
BTW how are we doing on that sarcasm emoji ?

Back