• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

All those people on the roads cheering them where just holograms?

Tell me that these people cared about truckers before? They (including the cheering holograms) will go back to not caring when they stop being useful propaganda. You made that argument in regards to the homeless. I agreed that it is a valid one for any movement or cause including the convoy protest.

If you can make a sweeping statement about what people care about it stands to reason that it can be made by others.

They get severe fines and/or go to jail. It's the same mechanism that would be used to introduce conscription. If it had been used at the start of covid, it could have forced PSW's back on the job and forced other health care workers out of retirement.
Alternatively, it's more likely to have forced us into a unsustainable position of locking up middle aged and older people who refused to play ball... Which could have easily lead to even more serious protests when our health system was totally incapable of dealing with it.

Imagine the social media storm when the RCMP start kicking in doors to arrest little old ladies, and single mothers because they wouldn't go back to work.

From what I have seen the sentiment of ending mandates and getting on with life is a position that is supported, but the method with which this protest has been carried out does not see wide spread support.

I still hear, read and see substantial support for the "movement" out here in the colonies.

From what I have seen the sentiment of ending mandates and getting on with life is a position that is supported, but the method with which this protest has been carried out does not see wide spread support.

I still hear, read and see substantial support for the "movement" out here in the colonies.
100% of Canadians want all of this done with. How we get there is still a debate though. But it seems that provinces are making moves towards that. Ontario is sticking to its plan that it had.

The feds though need to be more clear about the path out.

They (including the cheering holograms) will go back to not caring when they stop being useful propaganda.

"the cheering holograms".
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

100% of Canadians want all of this done with. How we get there is still a debate though. But it seems that provinces are making moves towards that. Ontario is sticking to its plan that it had.

The feds though need to be more clear about the path out.

Ontario is acceleratng its plan but only by a few days. Capacity/gathering limits change on 17 Feb (vice 21 Feb), the vaccine passport requirement will be lifted on March 1st, masking mandate will remain in place. Ontario to ease COVID-19 restrictions, end vaccine passports

I still don't see what the Emergency Act will enable the police to do that they can't already do in terms of arresting protestors.

I still don't see what the Emergency Act will enable the police to do that they can't already do in terms of arresting protestors.
Apparently they can force tow truck companies to actually come tow trucks.

"First time in history" is a wonderful bit of overblown gas that will be sure to set tongues a-flutter. Assuming no public welfare emergency was ever declared (I don't know), it could have and would not have been a big deal.

Reports are that many have been threatened if they help.
Imagine, you have so much support for your actions you can't even find a single tow company willing to make tons of money towing rigs... without evoking the Emergency Act.

Well BC used the WMA to get rid of hippies when PET brought it in for the FLQ.

Not much; presumably not nothing. "Lack of need" is the basis for every criticism of using the act I've read today. Declaring the emergency (and inviting all the "martial law!" rhetoric) is going to look foolish if none of its provisions are well-used.

Reports are that many have been threatened if they help.
I don't see the EA changing that aspect.
If someone was threatening the Tow Trucks, one would think that local LE should have been able to deal with that also...

Reactions: QV
Back