• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Four year commitment with the Navy

camp0327

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question,

Im heading off to basic Oct.11th at St Jean as a NAVCOMM, I was told by the CFRC that I will be on a 4 year commitment in my contract with the Navy. I was curious if thats four years from my first day in BMQ or four years after all my training is done.

Thanks

Generally four years from your enrollment date to your projected date of release.

Poll .... Huh?
I may be mistaken but suspect that the your VIE you would have signed in the Recruiting Centre would have an 'end date' on it. That said, I am not a Recruiter so I could be mistaken.
By the way, did someone say "Holy S**, it's hot here!" :p - 37 deg C on the way home!!!

Pat in Halifax said:
By the way, did someone say "Holy S**, it's hot here!" :p - 37 deg C on the way home!!!

Minus 37 deg C.    How high low do you have your airconditioner set?

Hi! Where do you come from? I'm starting my QMB on October 11Th as SON OP. Do you know where you would like to be posted , Halifax or BC. I don't think we will be in the same group, i should do my QMB with the french group.

George Wallace said:
Minus 37 deg C.    How high low do you have your airconditioner set?

That is a hyphen!!! One of our cats is laying with his head on a dinner plate with some ice in it!!
Anyway, I'll say it - (that's a hyphen) Back on track people!

What happens when your release date comes up, do they pull you into an office and ask if you want to stay or leave? Anyone with experience care to share? :p

EpicBeardedMan said:
What happens when your release date comes up, do they pull you into an office and ask if you want to stay or leave? Anyone with experience care to share? :p

You will be offered new terms of service well before your current one expires. I've done this 3 times now.

People actually read their contracts?  I was actually told when swearing in that I didn't have time to read it (due to how they booked my flights there and back, and a flight delay which was somehow my fault).  Just sign it, so we can get you back to the airport in time.

That is that attitude 'switch' the recruiters do. Actually, I don`t know if it is still done but I do recall the Army Sgt at the Recruiting Centre in May 1982 in Peterborough - Once I had signed on the dotted line, his opinion of me changed DRAMATICALLY - "Don't bring any f***ing reading material, no time for that s***. We will tell you what the f*** you can and can't do". I actually remember that like it was yesterday! I don't think I was intimidated but it does seems funny now.
I digress...again!
Generally, you are signed up, given a couple days LWOP to get your act together and off you go. I suppose though, if you happen to sign the day before a Basic course starts and there is a seat, the whole process could be expedited.
As for the original question, when you get to the School for your first QL or a ship (I am not sure of your trade progression structure), ask your immediate supervisor/den mother for a copy of your Terms of Service. This early in the game , it will be one of only a couple items in your Pers File in your unit BOR or Ship`s Office.

Back