• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flag Disposal

midget-boyd91

Inactive
Reaction score
Yesterday while at work getting a centuries-old house and boat house ready for restoration I came across a fairly old and very beat up Canadian flag among a bunch of other old things that were going to be tossed into the dumpster. 
Just tossing the flag into the trash with old fish nets and fifty gallon drums didn't really seem to sit well with me,  so I set it aside,  not knowing how to dispose of it in a slightly more respectful way.
I thought somebody on here would know if there is a proper or commonly accepted respectful way to get rid of old and tattered flags... I had heard that burning them was one way,  but I had always thought people used that to show hatred rather than respect.  Thoughts?

According to the DND manual titled The Honor's, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces;

“A flag, other than a consecrated color or royal banner, that is no longer serviceable may be destroyed privately by burning.”

Cheers
Larry

Alright then. Seems  odd that disposing of it properly is the same method as essentially sh!tting on it in disrespect.

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
Seems  odd that disposing of it properly is the same method as essentially sh!tting on it in disrespect.

One is private and with respect, the other is a public protest.

Seems better than throwing it in the garbage.

The point is not to just throw it to the ground and set it aflame, but to place it into an incinerator, wood-burning stove, or a firepit.

There's certainly nothing that specifically states how it should be conducted but personally not in a drum or garbage fire

I am in the US, and have a worn American flag that needs replacing (it is hanging at the front of my house opposite my Canadian flag).  I asked co-workers how to dispose of the flag, and I found out that this is actually a service provided my the Boy Scouts down here.  Apparently, they collect them, and then dispose of them by incineration.

Larry Strong said:
According to the DND manual titled The Honor's, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces;

“A flag, other than a consecrated color or royal banner, that is no longer serviceable may be destroyed privately by burning.”
That's more detail than the Canadian Heritage info-machine has online:
Replace a faded or torn flag with a new one. When a flag becomes tattered and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way.

PPCLI Guy said:
I am in the US, and have a worn American flag that needs replacing (it is hanging at the front of my house opposite my Canadian flag).  I asked co-workers how to dispose of the flag, and I found out that this is actually a service provided my the Boy Scouts down here.  Apparently, they collect them, and then dispose of them by incineration.

I've heard of some fire departments providing the service as well; no official confirmation though.

I remember reading up on this, some time ago, and recall seeing that it's recommended to use a bed of coals, vice an open flame, if doing it yourself.

Different friends of mine, and myself, fly the flag at our residences, etc. When they become worn, they pass them to me for disposal. I fold them together as neatly as possible and incinerate them together in a wood stove.

Back