• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Feeling aukward when in uniform near civis

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseballinahat

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone have any story's? Like say you walk into a busy pizza joint with a long line up in your uniform. And that song comes on by the Killers on their radio, I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.  ;D

I can't say that i have felt awkward in front of civies if anything i feel proud most civies i meet usually thank me and want to shake my hand. Of course there are always some who mock you or call you the famous "baby Killer" but that's rare, and the proud times definitely  out weight the times civies Are rude

I work at Tim Hortons in North Battleford, when I see troops coming through from Shilo to Wainwright I get so pumped. Seeing that CADPAT and just knowing that hopefully I will be in that uniform one day... It's just one of those things for me. I get kinda dissapointed when I don't get to take their order though.  :(

I agree with the above poster. I find that I wear the uniform with pride in public, and never really have any awkward situation. Most are very respective and polite,  and kids often come up and talk to you. There are those situations when you get the anti-war, anti-army type that will say comments at you, or just those who think it's cool to bug people in uniform.

I had 1 weird moment but it was a good one.    A friend at work's father died.  Our Mcpl and myself asked if it would be ok if we came to pay our respects on behalf of our unit and if it was ok to wear our DEU's.  He said it was ok with him, so we drove all the way to Kalidar (might be spelling it wrong)  We get out of the van in this nice small village and every daughter mother heck grandmother just stopped what ever they were doing and just stared open mouthed, with a big grin.  I just turned to my Mcpl and whispered "the British are coming The British are coming"

The story I am about to tell has to be taken in context in regards to two things: time and location. And the fact that it is 2nd hand, as it happened to a good friend, and not me, but I trust him implicitly.

Time: 1989. That's the year, not a botch-up of my use of the military clock system  ;D

Location: Ferry from Campbell River, BC to Quadra Island (5-10 minute ferry ride). The reason this is important, as anybody from the Left Coast is familiar with is the number of people who left the US, in droves, from about 1965 to about 1975. You probably get my meaning. If not, I'll spell it out: treehugginggranolaeatinghippydraftdodgers. And their families, and like-minded people.

The principle's involved: My buddy. About 6' tall. 220 lbs. Looks very Neanderthal. Scares babies with his presence (which is true, as 2 of my children have been scared by his mug!!!). Old lady. About 60 years old.

Old lady, to my buddy (who was in tan short sleeve DEU's. Yes Virginia, we used to wear tan uniforms in the summer.): "Are you in the Army??"

My buddy (all proud after just returning from Cyprus, and wearing his uniform to show off to his folks): "Yes, Ma'am! I am!"

Old lady: After spitting in his face, "BABY KILLER!!!!!"

My buddy, who could have picked her up, broken her in two, and thrown her to the Orca: Stunned silence. Pause, two, three. Wipes face off. Walks away.

After that, I was ashamed to tell anybody that I was from BC (for about a year or so), not that I was in the army.

There was a period, probably right after the Somalia debacle, that people were ashamed to wear their uniforms in public. I wasn't one of them, as I wasn't ashamed of being a soldier. There are always a few bad apples, but the good that soldiers have done outweigh, by a large margin, the bad.

Wear your uniform with pride, and make sure that you aren't a disgrace in it, deportment- and conduct- wise. I see too many wearing their "American gloves" (in other words, their hands in their pockets), buttons undone, looking like 10 pounds of shite squeezed into a 5 pound bag (see the Fitness related threads for any explanation of this), and unfortunately since they all outrank me, what can I say to them?!  ;D I'm only kidding (somewhat).

Al

Good Post Allan and good story, i can't believe she spit on him... Crazy.

So much for her anti-violence philosophy. ::)  What annoys me the worst are the questions.
"Are you in the army?"
"Hey are we at war?"
and the mock salutes.

Baby killer... right because everyone and highlanders mom has apparently killed a baby during SQ or what ever. I can only wonder if the public in general will realise you do not go through months and months of training for an operation in a foreign land to kill infants.  ::) But honeslty (I am not enlisted as of yet but this is my opinion.) if you are not proud to be in your uniform out in public then why are you a soldier? Like LGEN. Rome(accent thingy goes here)o Dallaire's father said, "Soldiering is a thankless job." this stand true to the day it was said when the dreaded baby killer tag is yelled at a soldier etc. The public in general will never understand anything until they hunker down on some information and open up their views a wee bit, or a whole lot depending on the case being.

They're the first to spit in our faces and the first to come running to us for help. Thankless indeed.

.......and those just about cover it. We get this type of question a couple of times a year, there's lots on it already. Look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back