• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen soldiers given highway salute

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Hundreds line Hwy. 401 bridges to bid goodbye to fallen troopers

By CHRIS DOUCETTE AND PETE FISHER, SUN MEDIA

Article link: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/06/25/4288282-sun.html

From the article:

"I think it's wonderful," Linda Thomson, 50, said of the show of support for Canada's troops as honking horns from cars below her filled the evening air.

Linda and her husband were among one of the largest groups of supporters in Durham -- more than 100 -- standing on the Brock St. overpass in their hometown of Whitby.

"I don't support the war, I wish they would all come home," Linda added. "But we have to support our soldiers."

"We don't like war, nobody does. But they are over there to help not to hurt," said Hughy Robertshaw, 62, who drove to Whitby from his home in Milton to pay his respects.

We had a good crowd on the Port Hope overpass.  More than a few tears shed.

What an awesome display.  I've heard of this, but I've never heard tell of it in the media until now.  Well done to all!
:cdn:

EDIT:
the toronto sun has it on its cover.

http://www.torontosun.com/FrontPage/2007/06/24/4287734.html

I recently spoke to a senior NCO who has assisted in the arrival ceremonies for quite a long time. He told me that this has been going on for months and that it starts in the town of Trention itself.

Yesterday I received an email from a colleague (he produces the maps and drawings for several military histories, including the South Albertas, the SALH and the RCAC as well as beaucoup War of 1812 works and my latest book), who has been going with his family to an overpass on 401 for these events. He reported that this time the mother and aunt  of a Dragoon who unfortunately recently made his last trip home were on the same overpass, handing out Canadian flags to the crowd. They were doing this because they had been so deeply touched by the gesture, they wished to help comfort the lastest suffering families in their grief.

outstanding  :cdn:
bless em all  :salute:
                          scoty b

I saw some pictures of the supporters outside the fence in Trenton. What an amazing show of support.  :cdn:

Back