• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

wow..Gino Durette ....  I just realized that this may be Gino I knew years ago;

Vern, was this Gino who was a mechanic with 4AD workshop in Chatham & Gagetown in the early & mid-nineties? If so I just realized I had lost a good Bud who I use to tip a few at the JR's in Chatham & then at (pre) Griffens after chatham closed...

I knew Jim Van Dusen when we were both G4's. Always a gentleman, very knowledgeable. I believe he got his MMM (numbered below 1000) for his work in Movements (CAST Brigade). RIP Jim.

xo31@711ret said:
wow..Gino Durette ....  I just realized that this may be Gino I knew years ago;

Vern, was this Gino who was a mechanic with 4AD workshop in Chatham & Gagetown in the early & mid-nineties? If so I just realized I had lost a good Bud who I use to tip a few at the JR's in Chatham & then at (pre) Griffens after chatham closed...

Same Gino; if it's any consolation we continued tipping them until the end (at Griffins). After we finished his funeral parade - we all headed to Griffins with his family & tipped some more. He was a good man.

Thanks for the info & your reply Vern.

RIP Gino; you were a great guy and good friend...  :salute:  :'(  :salute:

For those who knew Alfie Strowbridge, he will be missed.

STROWBRIDGE, ALFRED March 15th, 1947 - January 4th, 2010 It is with great sadness we announce the death of Alfred Strowbridge, who passed away peacefully on Monday, January 4th at the Oromocto Public Hospital. Born in Red Cove, NL, he was the oldest born of the late Alfred Mullins and Margaret Strowbridge. Alfred was retired after 29 years of military service and took a leave from his work as a civilian at Base Supply while he battled cancer. He is survived by his daughter Leah of Fredericton, and son James (Callista) and grandson Jansen and a special little girl Karlyn of Waasis; one brother and one sister, Charles Stoodley (Alma) of Halifax, NS, and Stella (John) Cox of Wreck Cove, NL; a special friend Alma Malcolm and his beloved dog Sam; nieces, nephews, cousins, and many friends. Alfred will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved him. In keeping with Alfred's wishes there will be no visitation. A funeral service will be held at the Oromocto Funeral Home Chapel on Thursday, January 7th, 2010 at 10:30 am with Rev. Keith Howlett officiating. Interment of ashes will take place at a later date in Wreck Cove, NL. Donations may be made in his honor to the Oromocto SPCA. Funeral arrangements have been entrusted to the Oromocto Funeral Home, 108 Winnebago Street, Oromocto, NB. www.oromoctofh.com

Rest easy Alfie  :salute:

Thanks BinRat; hope things went well today.

I've had the opportunity to work alongside Alfie during 3 of my postings - he was great people. News of his passing hit me hard Monday afternoon when you let me know (thank you for that too BTW). The Logspeil and the EME Bonspeil will not be the same without him, nor will R&D.

Vern

Your right Vern - even Al said yesterday that he was going to have to start arguing with Charlie now and it wouldn't be the same! His funeral went very well - standing room only and lots of uniforms. Alfie would have been proud. I have his fly zapper put on the wall in R&D - and it ain't movin'!!! I think I will be asking for a moment of silence and a toast in Alfie's honor at our Logspeil this year.

We have lost a fine old soldier, an example of what was meant by the term an officer and a gentleman: LGen (ret'd) Duncan McAlpine, CMM, CD (late the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada).

From the RHC web site:

http://www.blackwatchcanada.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=69&func=view&catid=12&id=556&lang=en
MCALPINE, LGen Duncan A.

Duncan joined The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada during WWII. After the war he joined 1st Canadian Highland Battalion as a company commander in Germany, and he subsequently served as a company commander in 1st Battalion, RHC in Camp Aldershot, NS.

Duncan assumed command of 2nd Battalion, RHC in West Germany in 1963. He continued in command when 2nd Battalion returned to Gagetown, NB in 1965 and when it deployed to Cyprus in 1966.

Between tours at NDHQ Duncan commanded the Combat Training Centre in CFB Gagetown in 1970, and Canada’s military contingent to the International Commission for Control and Supervision in Viet Nam in 1973.

Duncan was predeceased by his wife Bonnie in October 2003. He is survived by daughter Lynn and sons Bruce, Keith and Craig as well as several grandchildren.

Although details not yet known, believe funeral service being planned for next week in Kingston. Will notify when known.

R.I.P.
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT

14241_178286141650_714176650_3364197_4257601_n.jpg

LGen (ret'd) MCAlpine in the centre, in full dress, in his very long time role as Colonel of the Regiment of the Black Watch.

A bit more detail, again courtesy of the Black Watch web site:

LGEN DUNCAN A. McALPINE 1922-2010.

It is with regrets that we notify you that our Honorary-Colonel died peacefully yesterday in Florida.

LGen McAlpine joined The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada during WWII. After the war he joined 1st Canadian Highland Battalion as a company commander in Germany, and he subsequently served as a company commander in 1st Battalion, RHC in Camp Aldershot, NS.

Following a tour of duty at NATO Headquarters in Fontainebleau, France, he assumed command of 2nd Battalion, RHC in West Germany in 1963 and continued in command when 2nd Battalion returned to Gagetown, NB in 1965 and when it deployed to Cyprus in 1966.

Between tours at NDHQ he commanded the Combat Training Centre in CFB Gagetown in 1970, and Canada’s military contingent to the International Commission for Control and Supervision in Viet Nam in 1973.

LGen McAlpine was predeceased by his wife Bonnie in October 2003. He is survived by daughter Lynn and sons Bruce, Keith and Craig as well as several grandchildren.

Although details not yet known, believe funeral service being planned for the week of January 25th week in Kingston.

NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT

mcalpine.jpg

http://www.inmemoriam.ca/announcement-30184-Roderick-Rod-Stanley-Matheson.html

Rod and I served in Moncton together and spent time on the road.  Our paths crossed a few times since he retired and I was posted elsewhere.  Always a fun loving and happy guy to have around.

Rest In Peace, Driver!

:salute:

Derek

I was passed the information via Facebook.  I didn't know the gentleman, but I'm going to bet that there are a lot of people who do.  RIP, sir, and thank you for your service to the CF and the Canadian Cadet Organization.

From the Facebook page:

CWO (ret'd) Daniel "Bernie" IRVINE served in the Canadian Forces with The Royal Canadian Regiment in his final years with the military.

After a long battle with cancer, he passed away peacefully in Petawawa, ON on the morning of the 20th day of March, 2010, the cause of death being a brain aneurysm.

I knew Bernie well in my early days, a very good soldier who took care of his men.

RIP Bernie

Posted by the Regimental Adjutant:
http://www.theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/forum/index.php/topic,609/post-4359/topicseen.html#msg4359

IRVINE M.M.M. C.D., Daniel Bernard (Bernie) - Suddenly at the Ottawa Civic Hospital on Saturday, March 20th, 2010 in his 66th year. Bernie Irvine (Retired Master Warrant Officer, member of the RCR, the Canadian Airborne Regiment, 1 Air Defence and the Army Cadets of Petawawa and CWO of Blackdown Park). Beloved husband of Sharon Louise Irvine (nee Otten). Loving father of Scott (Esther) of Manitoba, Tracy Irvine of Petawawa and Kelly-Ann (Tom Leonard) of Petawawa. Grandfather to Tristan. Dear brother of Twila (the late Tom) Gilligan, Reggie (Judy), John (Sue) and Scott all of Smiths Falls. Raymond (Bernadette) of Carleton Place, and Kevin (Marcella) of Calgary. Also survived by his golden retriever "Riley" and cat "Bazil, and many nieces and nephews. Predeceased by sister Opal (Joe) Kuehl. A Celebration of Bernie's life will be held at the Neville Funeral Home, 491 Isabella Street, Pembroke on Thursday, March 25th, 2010 from 7-9 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donation to the Canadian Cancer Society or the Ontario SPCA - Renfrew County Branch will be appreciated. Online Condolences may be left at www.nevillefuneralhome.ca

Wow, RIP, I have not got the "official" word yet but have worked under the man ( as in on parade and his pace stick pointing up my nose, or getting one of his welcome to the RCR rants that are famous..... or infamous) he was, like him or not, a RCR legend who I would not be surprised would find a way to include RCR paraphernalia in his coffin's make up. 

Dont take my post wrong, I am not trying to slagg him at all.  He was a man who stood tall for his beliefs and the Regt has lost a major force in it's make up.  He was, in my oppinion, someone who through force of will and personality an artist who tinted the Reg't a shade that kept it interesting. 

Very sad news for many of us, from The RCR regimental net:

Colonel (Ret) Gilbert Scott Morrison, CD
1928 – 2010​

Born in Halifax, Scotty enlisted in Dalhousie University’s COTC Contingent in 1947 and was commissioned into the Army Reserve’s Princess Louise Fusiliers (MG) in 1949.  With the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950 Scotty transferred to the Canadian Army (Regular) and served with 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment in Canada and Korea.  In August 1954 he married Midge and was posted to the Royal Canadian School of Infantry in Camp Borden where he served as an instructor for the next four years.

Scotty was promoted captain in 1957.  The following year he transferred to The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada and was posted to its 1st Battalion with whom he served in Aldershot NS, West Germany and Gagetown NB until 1962.  From there he went to India’s Defence Services Staff College for one year, then returning to 1st Battalion in Gagetown as a major and company commander.

At the end of 1964 Scotty was posted to Canadian Forces Headquarters where he remained until late 1966 when he was posted to Fort Bragg, North Carolina as Canadian Forces Liaison Officer.  To celebrate Canada’s Centennial, on Canada Day 1967 Scotty made a parachute jump in Fort Bragg dressed in his kilt – a first in North America.

He was promoted lieutenant-colonel in 1968 and returned to Gagetown to command 1st Battalion, The Black Watch.  He remained its Commanding Officer until the Regular Force components of The Royal Highlanders of Canada were disbanded on 30 June 1970.  The next day he rebadged to his former regiment and assumed command of 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment which was made up entirely of former members of 1st and 2nd battalions of The Black Watch.

A few weeks later, 2nd RCR deployed to the Hibernia bivouac site in the Gagetown training area to commence a series of work-up exercises to support the newly established Combat Arms School.  At noon on 15 October the battalion received a warning order, and at 3:00 that afternoon confirmatory orders, to move to St. Hubert to conduct internal security operations in aid of the civil power in Quebec.  At 7:00 p.m. that evening the first planeload of 2nd RCR troops lifted off from Fredericton Airport, and by shortly after 9:00 a.m. the following morning the entire battalion, over 1,000 strong, was in St Hubert where it remained until early December.  Two months later Scotty took the battalion to Jamaica to train in tropical and mountain conditions.

In the summer of 1971 Scotty was posted to Kingston as a member of the directing staff at the Land Forces Command and Staff College, and the next year he attended the National Defence College in Kingston.  In 1973 he was promoted colonel and returned to Gagetown for two years as Deputy Base Commander before being posted back to Ottawa.  In 1977 he was posted from National Defence Headquarters to Headquarters Central Army Group in Heidelberg, West Germany.  In 1981 he returned to Ottawa and transferred from the Regular Force to the Supplementary Ready Reserve in which he remained until compulsory release age in 1993 when he was appointed to the Regimental Advisory Board of The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada.

Scotty served his country and his two regiments with honour and distinction.  He was greatly respected by his peers and his subordinates for his professionalism, his sense of humour, and because he led by example.  He was deeply religious, and a strong family man who was devoted to Midge and their three children.

R.I.P.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit                          Pro Patria​

Edit: corrected a typo in the original

A Memorial Service will be held for the late Col (Ret'd) Scotty Morrison at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday 10 April at:

St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church
2345 Alta Vista Dr,
Ottawa ON
K1H 7M6

Phone 613-733-0336

Back