• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE

Infanteer said:
I love how pictures of a 4-star General visiting troops on a major exercise and of bad-ass tanks devolves into a discussion on a fleece sweater...only in the OCD world of the Army.

Just snow, tents and a 4 star when I posted ;)

The General is thinking ; "Now this is a manly tank, Thank Fu*k that we didn't get those MGS"  ;D

<tangent>
What's with the "Retired" ref to the CDS in the captions?  Did I miss a change of command parade or something?  Last I read, end of October was the estimated handover timeframe. 

In fact, he's still listed as in the saddle in this PMO media advisory for an event tomorrow.

That's how rumours start, you know  ;)
</tangent>

CDN Aviator said:
If you ever needed confirmation that the war is over..........

In all fairness the wearing of fleece and toques was one of the major issues facing leaders in KAF.

I myself prefer the picture of the CDS on the cover of maple leaf with his hands shoved in his pockets    :warstory:

Do they still wear the white toques with the brown and gold target on the crown?

I never really quite saw the point of targeted camouflage.

recceguy said:
People are starting to miss the misdirected sarcasm in my post :waiting:
Geniuses are rarely recognized in their time....  :nod:

Primary Training Audience.Who forgot the popcorn ? :D

Q70U9l.jpg

Members of the 2-116 Calvary Regiment USA working as the Primary Training Audience (PTA) take a break before providing additional support at the Combat Supply Drop (CDS) zone at Saville farms at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright, Alberta during Maple Resolve on October 16, 2012.

itryCl.jpg

Members of the 2-116 Calvary Regiment USA work as the Primary Training Audience (PTA) to provide a safe cordon around the combat drop supply zone at Saville farms at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright Alberta during Maple Resolve on October 16, 2012.

9ti8jl.jpg

Canadian Forces members from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) and 2-116 Calvary Regiment USA work together as the Primary Training Audience (PTA) to provide a cordon around the combat supply drop at Saville farms at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright, Alberta during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 16, 2012.

P0grVl.jpg

Canadian Forces members from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) and 2-116 Calvary Regiment USA work together as the Primary Training Audience (PTA) to provide a cordon around the combat supply drop at Saville farms at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright, Alberta during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 16, 2012.

I wonder how the Americans feel about wearing our fishing vests when they're used to modular rigs.  ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Primary Training Audience.Who forgot the popcorn ? :D
And I fret about some government buzzwords I see here  ::) - thanks for sharing the pix!

WT2012-0183-024_zps18ede02e.jpg

October 24, 2012 Wainwright, Alberta Master Corporal Joesph Valois, a combat engineer from the Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre (CMTC) participates in an attack scenario during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 24, 2012 in Wainwright, Alberta..

WT2012-0183-037_zpsb52a2848.jpg

October 24, 2012 Wainwright, Alberta Canadian Forces soldiers from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) participate in an attack scenario during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 24, 2012 in Wainwright, Alberta.

WT2012-0183-036_zps61cf774a.jpg

October 24, 2012 Wainwright, Alberta Canadian Forces soldiers from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) participate in an attack scenario during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 24, 2012 in Wainwright, Alberta.

WT2012-0183-021_zpscb97d065.jpg

October 24, 2012 Wainwright, Alberta, Canadian Forces soldiers from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) participate in an attack scenario during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 24, 2012 in Wainwright, Alberta.

WT2012-0183-009_zpsb7493a8a.jpg

October 24, 2012 Wainwright, Alberta, Canadian Forces soldiers from 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5CMBG) participate in an attack scenario during Exercise Maple Resolve on October 24, 2012 in Wainwright, Alberta.

WT2012-0183-008_zpse5f593cf.jpg

WT2012-0183-007_zpsa63244b1.jpg

I notice that the majority of the troops don't have Canadian flags; must be a problem with their Clothing Stores.  ::)

Very Canadian: preparing for war in Central Asia by training in the snow. I thought we were smarter than the British?  (who always seemed to prepare me for the desert by training in arctic Norway, or the equivalent) ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Maybe they are in short supply in Quebec ?

They spent all their budget on DRASH shelters and flat-screen TVs...  >:D

daftandbarmy said:
Very Canadian: preparing for war in Central Asia by training in the snow. I thought we were smarter than the British?  (who always seemed to prepare me for the desert by training in arctic Norway, or the equivalent) ;D

Well, we are the ones who put our national training centre on the edge of the arctic, and then act all surprised every time there is a little snow.

Personally, I think we only had two better options, and we missed them. Back when the US was downsizing and closing bases, we could have scooped up something like Fort Ord, California, manned it with a skeleton crew, and used the hell out of it. The US would have been happy to delay the environmental survey and cleanup. Or we could have done something in BC. Building on the units in Chilliwack, Work Point and Jericho, finding some land, expropriating, and clear-cutting a year round training area. Basically Shilo without the snow.

But we missed both options, and now our guys are training for combat in jungles and deserts in the snow.

Ostrozac said:
Well, we are the ones who put our national training centre on the edge of the arctic, and then act all surprised every time there is a little snow.

Personally, I think we only had two better options, and we missed them. Back when the US was downsizing and closing bases, we could have scooped up something like Fort Ord, California, manned it with a skeleton crew, and used the hell out of it. The US would have been happy to delay the environmental survey and cleanup.

Perhaps you may want to look into US policies reference "foreign troops" being stationed on their soil, as well as the numerous agreements between their and our Government. 

http://www.wnd.com/2000/05/1987/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._39_Squadron_RAF

Our allies can do it. If we wanted to do it, we could have made it work. The US has the advantage of not being in the Arctic. BC shares that advantage.

Ostrozac said:
http://www.wnd.com/2000/05/1987/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._39_Squadron_RAF

Our allies can do it. If we wanted to do it, we could have made it work. The US has the advantage of not being in the Arctic. BC shares that advantage.

Foreigners operating in conjunction with US Forces, training with US Forces, or on exchange with US Forces within the Continental US is not the same as a Foreign power actually independently maintaining a facility on their soil.

Is Alaska not an American State?  It has territory well within the Arctic Circle.

Back