• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enlistment Question

G

goldman

Howdy, everyone I'm new here, so if this question has been asked before please forgive me. The recruiter told me couple of weeks ago that I would be able to start basic this September even though I was born outside Canada, since I was a juvenile when I entered this country the checking shouldnt take that long. Anyways today I handed my application and when I arrived there he said that I have to wait 6 months to 2 years. I'm willing to wait for a year but two? I mean come on, they are just pushing it. My question to you all is, how long does it take, and what can I do to speed up the process?

Not much you can do. The large wait is the security clearance that you must go through. I used to live outside of Canada and my clearance took 8 months. If you are really interested in joining, then you will just have to wait it out, and use the time to prepare physically and mentally. I can certainly relate to your frustration but that seems to be the way it goes.

I agree with Pieman, when I first enlisted in 2000, I lived overseas 2 years prior to intitating the process and even after going through the whole shannigans at the CFRC, passing virtually everything there was they could throw at me, I still had to wait to get the security clearance and in my case took 6 months. Things to do whilst waiting for this process to end (if you are infact willing to wait as it can be a while), is to gather any training doctrine you can on the new BMQ and possibly stuff pertaining to your MOC (if you are going to your MOC after Basic and SQ), read up on it (esp if you intend to joining the combat arms). Another advice is to start physical training and when you think you have trained enough, train even harder. Another thing you can do to add to your own initiative is to call up the CFRC every now and again to check up on your process, believe me it helps in bringing some hope to the bigger picture. I endured a record breaking 26 trips to the CFRC before finally getting my enlistment msg (and 14 more when I switched components from Reserve to Reg) but the key is to hang in there and keeping with it  :) Best of luck to you.

LOL 2 years, I was told the same thing, that my wait would take 1-2 years, it took me 9 months to complete my entire application all the way uup to BMQ

If i am at BOTC this September, then my total application time will have been about 1 year and 9 months. So sadly, 2 years can happen to some people.

Pieman,

To me if I'm taking my BOTC this September then this means  my application processing time was 2 years and  7 months :eek:. Just wondering why the official letters are not available yet.:( 

verygood, wow that is a long wait for you. Did you get your official offer yet? The paperwork should follow not long after that, but maybe just contact recruiting.

Pieman.. No I did not receive the offer yet. Just waiting patiently. did you get yours ? I will contact CFRC tomorrow to figure out what's going on. In fact i left them a message last week about the offer but they did not call me back.

I didn't get my official offer yet, they are still wait for word back on my first choice. Should be very soon though.  In fact I am going to give my recruiter a ring tomorrow to touch base with him....going to be a last minute thing I think. With my luck I will probably be sworn in as I am boarding the plane to St. Jean, lol

Hi  everybody,

I just got the call today. I have been selected for DEO SIGS 84.However my training will start in January 2006. I expected going  St Jean this September but I don't know why this delay. Anyway after a 2 years and 7 months I got the call  ;D . Wish you all the best.

Congrats verygood! Sorry to hear that you don't train until January, but at least you are all set to go now. You must be pretty happy. From what my recruiter told me, is that they will train certain numbers of each trade each training session. They probably have enough people   in training for your trade, so bumped you to the next BOTC.

Engineers is my first choice, Armour is second, Infantry third, Signals fourth. (They encouraged me to take four choices because it was not clear what the reaction would be to my education background for Engineers)

Nice work verygood!!! If you don't mind me asking what was the hold up? Why did it take sooo long? That is some serious determination, and you should be very proud.

Later

Ryan

There was no hold. Basically, since I traveled to  many overseas countries the Security clearance took almost 1 year and 7 months to get it. 

Congrats Verygood. I have been selected for 043, just waiting for the official call.

Many thanks fellows. I wish you all the best and get the call soon.

Back