• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

• Thread starter Thread starter geofftheref
  • Start date Start date
kincanucks said:
Well it means that your background check is not done.  However, at what point of the processing are you?  How Long?  Are you from another country?  Sometimes CFRC/D personnel confuse the two too.
my case has run 2 years already. interview was done last Nov; medical last Dec; PT 1 year before; apt test cancelled, because i did it when i joined reserve unit. I am from another country, very unfortunately, china mainland, not a friend with canada.

uzi said:
my case has run 2 years already. interview was done last Nov; medical last Dec; PT 1 year before; apt test cancelled, because i did it when i joined reserve unit. I am from another country, very unfortunately, china mainland, not a friend with canada.

Then it is your pre-security clearance assessment that is being worked on and yes it will take a very long time.

kincanucks said:
Then it is your pre-security clearance assessment that is being worked on and yes it will take a very long time.

A captain told me I'm under credit and crime history check, hope(wish) it's not long. 

I also ran into problems with my ERC. I had B&E and commit mischief under $5000 (barely :S), B&E and commit mischief, B&E and commit theft, Unlawful enjoyment of property, and Shoplifting. When my fingerprints and everything went through they told me that I had to provide documents from the courts, my probation officer, and a personal letter for proving my reliability. I did these things and within about a month they called me and told me it was cleared. I guess if u prove to them that you've changed and are reliable, you should have no problem getting in with minor offences. (Then again mine were also under the Young Offenders Act, i don't know if this makes a difference)

i think waiting is the worse part too mind you it's only been 3 weeks for me i just have to be patient as far as the process goes for me they are in the process of conducting my security check ect... now so all i can do is wait and see

I am hoping that this thread is not quite dead!

I have been through CFAT, interview and medical.  I had a small glitch with my medical but I have already resolved this with my own doctor. I sent in the form from my doctor last week.  Did my ERC occur immediately after my interview (2 weeks ago) or will it occur only when my medical file is fully processed?
The officer who interviewed me said to expect a call within three weeks or so of having dealt with my medical.

Yes, not quite dead would be nice. A few years ago I was detained by RCMP for marijuana possession in Vancouver. They took my name and birthdate, and my friend had his vehicle impounded and license suspended for 24 hours. He was also charged with impaired driving.

Now that was a long time ago in the course of my life, and I've learned my lesson. But would something like that come up in the ERC? I was never arrested or charged. But I was handcuffed and detained in the back of the police car for a while while they searched my friend's car and gave us a bit of a lecture. And they did take my info. They said it wouldn't go in any criminal record, but I wonder if it might have gone on some other record not accessable to civillian employers.

I'm still in the consideration phase. Just researching a lot and thinking about joining the reserves (I'm a student, so full-time wouldn't work). Haven't talked to a recruiter or anything yet.

Wasteland.Soldier said:
Yes, not quite dead would be nice. A few years ago I was detained by RCMP for marijuana possession in Vancouver. They took my name and birthdate, and my friend had his vehicle impounded and license suspended for 24 hours. He was also charged with impaired driving.

Now that was a long time ago in the course of my life, and I've learned my lesson. But would something like that come up in the ERC? I was never arrested or charged. But I was handcuffed and detained in the back of the police car for a while while they searched my friend's car and gave us a bit of a lecture. And they did take my info. They said it wouldn't go in any criminal record, but I wonder if it might have gone on some other record not accessable to civillian employers.

I'm still in the consideration phase. Just researching a lot and thinking about joining the reserves (I'm a student, so full-time wouldn't work). Haven't talked to a recruiter or anything yet.

Does I was never arrested or charged. or They said it wouldn't go in any criminal record mean anything to you?  If you had bothered to take the time to read through the information on background checks and ERCs you wouldn't have had to asked such a DA question.  Just researching a lot certainly not demonstrated by this post.  Good Luck.

A question for anybody who may know the answer, or at least have some idea:

I will soon be submitting my ERC (I belive this is the name of the one that requires 10 years worth of data). I am required to submit this check in addiiton to the 'basic' one as I spent more than 6 months out of the country in the last five years when I completed an internship with an small children's organization in the philippines. this internship was sponsered by DFAIT and administered by a canadian university and I was registered with the embassy when I was there. Does anyone have a snese of whether such a check might take the full two years (or more)?

I recognize of course that no one can tell me anythign for sure; i'm just looking for anything expreince or expertise people might be able to share.

thanks.

wannabenavy2007 said:
A question for anybody who may know the answer, or at least have some idea:

I will soon be submitting my ERC (I belive this is the name of the one that requires 10 years worth of data). I am required to submit this check in addiiton to the 'basic' one as I spent more than 6 months out of the country in the last five years when I completed an internship with an small children's organization in the philippines. this internship was sponsered by DFAIT and administered by a canadian university and I was registered with the embassy when I was there. Does anyone have a snese of whether such a check might take the full two years (or more)?

I recognize of course that no one can tell me anythign for sure; i'm just looking for anything expreince or expertise people might be able to share.

thanks.

No it is called a Pre-Security Assessment not an ERC.  Unless you were specifically working for a Canadian government organization you won't get any breaks.  However, check with your CFRC/D for more info. And it is Canadian not canadian.

I have started my application back in december.  I have lived in the states for about 8 years and I did the FBI Identification Request myself.  I have it all handed in and now
im just waiting for the call to do my aptitude test.  I just dont know why its taking soo long.

Patience is the key. I generally tell my applicants to wait approximately 6-8 months. Also if you lived out of country for 8 years, there's alot of people the cell has to talk to or check on priro to granting you the ERC. Good Luck.

Sounds like it is already in that phase...they are checking your background out!!  When i had my aptitude test, there was a guy who lived in the US for a couple years and he was advised that the ERC could take about a year before it cleared, so to not expect a call anytime soon for the medical and interview. Be patient, it will happen soon enough and time will fly by. My whole application process took about 8 months from the time i submitted my online application to my offer.  Some are very quick, but it depends on how quickly they need to push you through. My trades were not hiring until the new fiscal year and once that came into play, they loaded me for a course to be in line with my trades training so i wasnt sitting around doing nothing for months on end.  If you are going for a trade that they can hire from the recruiting centre, once you have finished your interview and medical it should go fast for your offer. Sounds like the biggest delay is the fact you lived in the US. 

I would just suggest that maybe give them a call every 3 or 4 weeks and see if there is any updates, otherwise, just be patient. Even though you did your own FBI stuff, they still need to check to make sure things are in order. Takes a bit of time. I have lived in Canada all my life and have not travelled anywhere outside of Canada or the US, and my ERC took about 4 weeks, then they had to get more information from me and it took another 2 weeks. So really all depends on what they need to check everything out. They have their processes and we just need to HURRY UP AND WAIT!!  ;D

I finished my CFAT about a week ago and the cpl at CFRC said that all security checks wwere finshed and i should make the summer courses. However, I've lived outside Canada for the past 6 years and I was wondering if my checks are really finished. However, my recruiter at the reserve unit said these checks could take up to 2 years and I;m wondering if my checks are really finished or not.

Thanks

Do you have something to fear with your security clearences.....??  just kidding. 

If the recruiter says that your enhanced reliability check is finished, I don't think that they are lying to you. 

Depending on the trade you are going in to, you may require a higher security clearence level.  Depending on a number of factors, the background investigation, the time it takes to get this clearence could take between 1 and 2 years. 

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. 

If you have been told a certain time length for how long it should take, and haven't heard anything after that period, give them a call.  They are not going to bite your head off.  They won't blacklist you, or anything else.  Most of them have a lot of applicant files and things can get misplaced, forgotten about, pushed aside, etc.  It isn't something they do on purpose, it just happens.  They will probably tell you what step your application is at, what they are waiting for, and how long it should take, and most likely, a time to call back if you haven't heard anything.

THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!

The ERC takes days if you haven't got a criminal record or credit issues and it is only a couple more days if you do.  If you are a Canadian citizen and have not lived in Canada for the last ten continuous years or since you were 16 then you will be checked out more thoroughly.  If you are are coming from the States, UK, Australia, New Zealand then it will not take that long but if you are coming from some other faraway place then it will take a lot longer.  Now one more time for the hard of reading:

THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!

kincanucks said:
THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!

The ERC takes days if you haven't got a criminal record or credit issues and it is only a couple more days if you do.  If you are a Canadian citizen and have not lived in Canada for the last ten continuous years or since you were 16 then you will be checked out more thoroughly.  If you are are coming from the States, UK, Australia, New Zealand then it will not take that long but if you are coming from some other faraway place then it will take a lot longer.  Now one more time for the hard of reading:

THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!THE ERC IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PRE-ASSESSMENT SECURITY CHECK!!!!

Kin

I know how you feel after reading fifteen pages of this, I was ready to start reaching for the beer and its only 3:48 in the afternoon. I will try to clear-up some of the confusion that seems to to be going around (my apologizes if I repeat some previous posts). Here goes:

- Enhanced Reliability Check. All applicants must successfully complete prior to enrolment in the Canadian Forces. The Enhanced Reliability Check assesses whether an applicant can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy in the performance of his or her duties

- Security Clearance Pre-Assessment. Conducted for any applicant who, during the recruiting process, makes a verbal or written statement about a history or behaviour which gives rise to a security concern. It is also conducted if there are any international implications related to an applicant. This process must be completed prior to enrolment in the Canadian Forces and can only be conducted for applicants who have successfully completed an Enhanced Reliability Check.

- Security Clearance process.  Conducted for all Government of Canada employees, be they military or civilian, after they have received and accepted a position.

The above definitions are extracted from "The Canadian Face Behind the Recruiting Targets. A Review of the Canadian Forces
Recruiting System: From Attraction to Enrolment." Dated June 2006. This report looked into problems involved in the recruiting process. It can be found here: http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/reports/special/recruitment/recruit_e.pdf The definations are found in Issue Four - Security pp 31-36.

Some other extracts from the report "prior to enrolment, the majority of applicants must only complete an Enhanced Reliability Check, and only under specific circumstances is a Security Clearance Pre-Assessment conducted" and " Enhanced Reliability Check can be completed at local Recruiting Centres with the exception of the criminal records and credit checks, which are conducted by Deputy Provost Marshal Security. If an applicant does not appear on either the Canadian Police Identification Centre or the Credit Bureau of Canada, the Enhanced Reliability Check can be completed in as little as 72 hours. If problems arise with either check, however, this time may be extended considerably."

If you have been charged with a Criminal Code offense(s), or have/had credit problems you will show-up on the CPIC or CBC databases. Depending on severity of the offense(s) expect a delay in your processing and possibly be refused entry into the CF.

I hope this helps to clear-up some of the confusion. Before I sign-off, there are a couple of other points I would like to clear-up.

First, kincanucks in one of your previous posts you had this statement: "He was saying that he had to get his Lvl III before he could enter the CF as an INT O." You said "That is BS." Clarification: You can do your basic Int op/officer course with only a Level II (Secret) clearance, but you will have to be upgraded to a Level III (Top Secret) clearance. No TS clearance, its "Hasta La Vista Baby!!" time to find a new trade.

The other point was with traveling to foreign countries. There is list of "proscribed" countries that CF members have to inform their security officers prior to visiting (e.g.) Cuba, Iran, Syria, N. Korea, etc). See your Unit/Base Security Ofiicer/National Counter-Intelligence Unit (NCIU) for more information.

I'm finished. Sorry for the long post.

Hello I have a question if someone could help me out with this inquiry.

I have a question in regards to the Credit Check. In my current situation I owe in the ballpark of about $23,000. I have never missed a payment ever, and it is a recent debt that I have built up. I am worried that this debt is going to cause me to fail my credit check. Should I be worried? As said above, I have never missed a payment in my entire history of having credit, never had a problem with creditors or collections, and I have had credit for roughly 6 years. I have had debts before and have paid them off in full. This is a newly acquired debt that my wife and I have agrew from moving from one side of Canada to the other, furnishing an apartment, and consolidating our debts together. It is all under my name currently, but a payment has never been missed now or in the past on my record.

I'm just wondering if this would in anyway effect me passing a credit check, or getting denied from the Military in anyway. If someone could give me some insight/information that would be great. The other parts of the ERC I am not worried about failing.

Thank you.

Back