• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2011

Former CDN Ambassador to Kabul, Chris Alexander, defeats (once) potential Liberal leader Mark Holland.

NFLD Sapper said:
Recognition in Parliament allows parties certain parliamentary privileges. Generally official party status is dependent on winning a minimum number of seats (that is, the number of Members of Parliament or Members of the Legislative Assembly elected).

The federal parliament has two houses with different requirements. In the House of Commons, a party must have at least 12 seats to be recognized as an official party. Recognition means that the party will get time to ask questions during question period (proportional to the number of seats) and money for research and staff (also proportional to the number of seats).

In the Senate, a party must have five seats and must be registered by Elections Canada. Once the party has been recognized in the Senate, it retains its status even if it becomes deregistered, so long as it keeps at least five seats. This rule means that the rump Progressive Conservative Party caucus in the Senate does not qualify for official status in the senate.

Official party status is not to be confused with being a registered party. A political party (even if they have no parliamentary seats) may register with Elections Canada or a provincial chief electoral officer. Doing so allows the political party to run candidates for office during elections, issue tax receipts for donations, and spend money on advertising and campaigning during election campaigns. In return, the party must obey campaign spending and donation limits, disclose the source of large donations, and obey various election laws.

Correct: the BQ, like the Greens, will still get money for however many votes they received. But they will not get e.g. research budgets in Ottawa.

Looks like HRM and Esquimalt voted NDP - what does this say about the Navy?

>:D

"The Navy", for the most part, probably still votes at their home ridings.  What does this say about Navy wives?    >:D

Latest results - Conservative majority:

Party:                                 
conservativelogo.jpg

ndplogo.gif

liberallogo.gif

bqlogo.jpg
  Others  Undecided

Emerging results:    161      105      30          4        --            8
        (Elected & leading)

The firearms community put some money and effort into getting rid of Mark Holland (t-shirts to come) and tonight is a clear victory for us.

E.R. Campbell said:
Former CDN Ambassador to Kabul, Chris Alexander, defeats (once) potential Liberal leader Mark Holland.

I've met him a couple of times. Good man, well done.

I admit it: I'm shocked.

I was hopeful for a Conservative Majority, and I think they may get it (164 seats as I type this).  I am shocked at the NDP surge, but more importantly TOTALLY shocked, but also thrilled, that the BQ is relegated to FOUR seats (as I type this at 2345 02 May 2011)

UPDATE: CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best news of the night for me:

Susan Truppe (CPC) has taken London North Center: just reported on Sun TV

Technoviking said:
TOTALLY shocked, but also thrilled, that the BQ is relegated to FOUR seats (as I type this at 2345 02 May 2011)

They don't have them yet.

And now I see that the Greens are on the board?!?! Oh well, i'm still going to have that drink even with that news.  ;D

Back