• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2011

ballz: I find it hard to believe that "no comparison" can be made from provincial to federal budgeting. Different yes, incomparable, no.

After Quebec, Manitoba gets the largest chunk of equalization payments and the NDP government spends every penny, plus. (Opps. It is now Ontario!)

If your the federal government you get more money to spend by raising taxes.

Six provinces to receive $14.7 billion in Equalization payments in 2011-12

P.E.I. N.S.       N.B. Que.   Ont. Man.
(millions of dollars)
329       1,167     1,483 7,815 2,200 1,666

I was just looking over the threehundredeight.com data and here's an interesting race to watch:

Laurier-Sainte-Maire: NDP=37.2 Bloc=37.8

This is Mr Duceppe's home riding. How big a blow will the Bloc take if he loses his seat?

NB: the other leader's seats look safe given the data provided, with the exception of Ms May of course.

ModlrMike said:
Anyone who thinks the NDP in Manitoba are fiscal angels should come and live here. There's a reason we're one of the highest taxed jurisdictions in the country. Only NS, PEI and Quebec exceed Manitoba's tax burden.

I was just picking random provinces for the example.

ModlrMike said:
This is Mr Duceppe's home riding. How big a blow will the Bloc take if he loses his seat?
MASSIVE blow, should it turn out to be the case come Monday Evening/Tuesday am.

shared with provisions of The Copyright Act

Will NDP orange crush or crash in the May 2 vote?
By Tobi Cohen, Postmedia NewsApril 30, 2011
http://www.canada.com/news/decision-canada/Will+orange+crush+crash+vote/4704453/story.html#ixzz1L307dAms

They're calling it the orange crush: The possibility that Jack Layton will emerge from this election with more momentum and moral authority than anyone could have imagined barely five short weeks ago.

The fourth party leader is now the man of the hour. Not quite a Trudeau or Obama, but a rock star, perhaps, who gets mobbed by camera-toting supporters begging for autographs during ever-growing rallies across the country.

It comes in the wake of unprecedented polling results that have the New Democratic Party just five points behind the Harper Conservatives nationally and in first place ahead of the Bloc in Quebec.

With expectations rising so sharply, what's at stake for Layton come May 2?

article continues

Infanteer said:
I was just picking random provinces for the example.

Sorry, I knew that. I was just responding to the contention that the NDP were good fiscal managers. We're taxed to the eyeballs here for social programmes most of us don't use.

"Police probe leak behind report of Layton massage clinic visit:
TORONTO - Media reports that police found NDP Leader Jack Layton in a Toronto massage parlour in 1996 became the focus of a criminal investigation by Ontario Provincial Police on Saturday.":
http://www.canada.com/life/Police+probe+leak+behind+report+Layton+massage+clinic+visit/4704511/story.html

Funny, I'm just going through the latest MacLeans from last week and it compares Liberal and Conservative minorities and talks of a strong separatist showing.  As Edward states, a week sure is a long time in politics....

ModlrMike said:
Sorry, I knew that. I was just responding to the contention that the NDP were good fiscal managers. We're taxed to the eyeballs here for social programmes most of us don't use.

Yeah, I'm from BC, where the NDPs legacy is about as popular as leprosy, so I share your pain.

mariomike said:
"Police probe leak behind report of Layton massage clinic visit:
TORONTO - Media reports that police found NDP Leader Jack Layton in a Toronto massage parlour in 1996 became the focus of a criminal investigation by Ontario Provincial Police on Saturday.":
http://www.canada.com/life/Police+probe+leak+behind+report+Layton+massage+clinic+visit/4704511/story.html

Get your facts straight-according to Layton that was a "Community Clinic".

a78jumper said:
Get your facts straight-according to Layton that was a "Community Clinic".

It was a quote from The Canadian Press.

I am being facetious.....but honest that was Jack's description of the joint lol.

Sort of reminds me of MND Coates' visit to "Tiffanys" just outside the gates of Lahr mid 80s. Someone tried to describe it as a fine dining establishment during the spin that resulted prior to his being sacked.

Was that the infamous  'one man probe into prostitution'?

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29} of the Copyright Act from ThreeHundredEight.com[/url] are the fifth week 'ceilings,' which show the best possible outcome for each of the Conservatives, Liberals and NDP:

http://www.threehundredeight.blogspot.com/
SATURDAY, APRIL 30, 2011
Week 5 Ceilings

The final week's ceilings are dramatic. So let me take this opportunity to calm everyone down - these are not actual projections of likely outcomes. These are best-case-scenario ceilings. I am not projecting any of these scenarios to actually take place.

The ceilings are established by taking the best regional results for each party from all of the polls released during the week, and running seat projections with those results. Of course, these calculations are greatly influenced by the smaller samples of regional polls. But we can still draw some useful information from these ceilings, as it is unlikely that the parties are capable of outpacing the best polls when you consider that the best polls are likely a few points higher than reality thanks to the MOE.

The Conservative ceiling is based on the party capturing about 44% of the national vote, split into the regions thusly: 45% in British Columbia, 74% in Alberta, 55% in the Prairies, 48% in Ontario, 18% in Quebec, and 48% in Atlantic Canada.

That would give the Tories 23 seats in British Columbia, 28 in Alberta, 23 in the Prairies, 66 in Ontario, eight in Quebec, and 18 in Atlantic Canada for a total of 167. That is a majority government, and generally where they have been in the ceilings throughout the campaign.

The New Democrats, with 73 seats, form the Official Opposition. The Liberals win only 45 seats and the Bloc is reduced to 23.

This is not an outlandish scenario, as the results in British Columbia, the Prairies, and Quebec are well within the norm. Sweeping Alberta is also quite likely. But the Conservatives would need to capture historic levels of support in Ontario and Atlantic Canada, which seems less likely to occur.

For the Liberals, their ceiling is based on taking 28% support nationally: 26% in British Columbia, 17% in Alberta, 21% in the Prairies, 34% in Ontario, 22% in Quebec, and 38% in Atlantic Canada.

That would give the party 84 seats, with six coming from British Columbia, two from the Prairies, 42 from Ontario, 15 from Quebec, and 18 from Atlantic Canada. That allows them to retain their status as the Official Opposition, but is really only a growth of seven seats from their standings when the government fell - and I remind you that this is a ceiling.

The Conservatives would win 131 seats, the New Democrats 63, and the Bloc 30. With a combined 147 seats, we'd likely see the Liberals and NDP govern.

These levels of support are not unusual for the Liberals, but compared to their usual levels of support in the last week of polling even this is an unlikely outcome.

Ceilings.PNG

The New Democratic ceiling assumes the party takes 37% of the vote nationally: 39% in British Columbia, 21% in Alberta, 40% in the Prairies, 34% in Ontario, 45% in Quebec, and 46% in Atlantic Canada.

This would give the party 16 seats in British Columbia, two in Alberta, nine in the Prairies, 27 in Ontario, 56 in Quebec, and 15 in Atlantic Canada for a total of 126.

The Conservatives would still win 142 seats and get the first crack at forming government. The Liberals would be reduced to only 29 seats, but with the NDP could combine for a majority of 155. The Bloc would lose official party status with only 11 seats in the House of Commons.

Ceilings+Tracker.PNG

I do not believe this to be a likely outcome, especially considering the unnaturally high levels of support the NDP had in a few polls in the Prairies, Ontario, and Atlantic Canada. But if this campaign has taught us anything, it's that nothing is impossible.

I will have a projection update tomorrow afternoon. That will be my final post before the election takes place on Monday.

Here are the previous ceilings:

Date:                                          26 Mar 11                    3 Apr 11                      10 Apr 11                    16Apr 11                23 Apr 11                      30 Apr 11
Best Conservative outcome:    160/61/50/37            160/70/45/33            167/68/44/28            178/54/52/24        170/61/43/33                167/45/73/33   
Best Liberal outcome:              141/87/50/29              146/86/45/31            131/117/38/21          135/101/41/30      138/91/43/35                131/84/63/30
Best NDP outcome:                                                                                                                                                          145/50/83/30                142/29/126/11
                                                Read as Con/Lib/BQ/NDP until 16 Apr then as Con/Lib/NDP/BQ. Best for each party is in bold.)

While I would love to see the BQ reduced to 11 seats I doubt than even the (maybe) ongoing orange crush can produce 126 seats for the NDP. I would, equally, love to see 167 Conservative seats – a solid majority – but, at this stage of the game I would call it a miraculous majority.

Anyway: food for thought. 

Queen Victoria

"My GG in the Dominion has broad authority to call upon whomever he thinks can hold the confidence of the House to form government."

http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/4001/26

THE HAND OF FATE

Steyn on Canada and the Commonwealth
Sunday, 01 May 2011

Here's an unusual stroke of luck: On the eve of election day, all that stands between Canada and an historic political realignment is Jack Layton's "happy ending" in a Toronto massage parlour. It's not unusual in election campaigns for something to pop up at the last minute but I hadn't expected it to be the NDP leader's ...oh, never mind, you don't really need a professional for this, do you?

Before the revelations of Mr Layton's encounter with Toronto's vice squad, the Grits were on course to an unprecedented defeat. The Liberal Party of Canada is the most successful political party in the western world: It governed the nation for over two-thirds of the 20th century - a grip on power in a G7 nation unmatched by the US Democrats, the British Tories or anybody else. Its worst election result was the Dominion of Canada's very first, back in 1867, when its share of the vote was a smidgeonette under 23 per cent. It was all but certain to do worse than that tomorrow night. And for the first time in the nation's history the Liberals would be neither the Government nor the Official Opposition, but down in the also-rans vying with the Bloc Québécois for third place.

And then suddenly Happy Jack's happy hour at what he calls a "community clinic" came along and put a big question mark over the NDP's happy ending. When something unexpected breaks on the weekend before an election, it's not an accident, and it always happens to the party doing well: You put it out there, there's no time to poll, there's barely time to do all but the most perfunctory damage control. Andrew Coyne, Jonathan Kay and, of course, Catsmeat Kinsella are among the media types bragging that they knew all about this story two years ago but, unlike Mr Layton, decided to keep it buttoned up. Mr Kay says it was a "Liberal fixer" who told him, and certainly this last minute leak has the Grits' sticky fingers all over it. I mean, I'd like to think the Tory oppo-research hit team were nimble enough to plant this and frame the Liberals, but there's not a lot of evidence they're anywhere near that good. Whereas a party of such renowned "ass-kickers" as the Liberals would surely be savvy enough to figure out that if they broke this on Sun TV they might easily damage both their political opponents. Either way, poor old Jack never saw it comi ...oh, forget it.

In normal circumstances, the revelation that a party leader had been found naked during a police raid on a house of ill repute would surely put a dent in his chances of being either Prime Minister or Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. But in this instance I'm not so sure Jacked Layton won't enjoy a sudden last-minute surge. The dominant narrative of this election campaign has been the shrinkage of the post-Chrétien Liberal Party, and Masturgate (or Wankerquiddick, according to taste) doesn't so much arrest it as confirm it. As I wrote six years ago:

Every week or so I get an e-mail along the following lines: “I was wondering if you could tell me what are the beliefs and philosophy of the Liberal Party of Canada.” It’s usually from a student of politics in America, Britain, New Zealand, India or Denmark, raising his eyes from the local scene and momentarily stunned into fascination by the dominance, unmatched in the free world, of the deranged Dominion’s ruling party. But that’s looking at it the wrong way. In a one-party state, the one party in power attracts not those interested in the party, but those interested in power.

So, when the "natural governing party" finds itself in the unnatural state of not governing, it has a huge number of hacks, opportunists, careerists and other mediocrities frantic to get back to enjoying their perks. The more high-minded ones think the answer is a philosopher-king like Trudeau. But there are none to hand within the jurisdiction, so they import a philosopher-king across the water from Harvard and the BBC. Alas, seeking to find a message that resonates with the people, the philosopher-king, unlike Mr Layton's masseuse, can't quite put his finger on it. And so the less high-minded hacks and opportunists decide that, with the once powerful party machine rusting up before their eyes, they might as well take it out for a spin one last time.

I gather the NDP spokeslady pointed out that, apropos Mr Layton's Saturday night special, no charges were laid. Isn't that an old vaudeville routine? Because the evidence wouldn't stand up in court? Oh, well. "I went for a massage at a community clinic," Layton told reporters in Burnaby, BC. "The police advised it wasn't the greatest place to be, so I left and I never went back."

Sure. Pity they didn't say the same thing about his appointment at CASMO. Either that, or this is the new Islamist massage parlour and the otherwise attractive hostess has a faint touch of five o'clock shadow as she presents Jack with a souvenir clock showing the time he promised the Taliban he'd pull out by.

When this whole sorry episode is over, Iggy will be telling pretty much the same story to US Immigration about his long vacation: "I went for a quickie in Canada. Shortly after 7pm on Monday night I was advised it wasn't the greatest place to be, so I left and I never went back."

This is the way the Liberal world ends, not with a bang but a ...oh, to hell with it.   

Interesting that the media are happy to have this ending to the NDP narrative, but are unwilling to bring out other well-known facts.  Imagine the furor in some very conservative circles were a cabinet minister to be found in Ottawa and Toronto's gay bathhouses - yet not a peep in the mainstream media.

E.R. Campbell said:
Oh, heavens! Spare us, the puns, please.  ;)

In deference to your seniority I will not report that somebody on smalldeadanimals.com referred to the incident as Masturgate.

Back