• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eco Endurance Challenge / Nav Ex

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hey folks,
              I'm currently setting some short term goals here. And the Eco Endurance Challenge sounds very interesting to me. I've done a couple Nav Ex before, and know how to use a compass fluently.

But what about the pace? What is the average time/pace for 1000m for everyone? Be interesting to hear, so I have an idea for my team.

I'll be doing the 24 hour special.  I was thinking of bringing my Camelbak Motherlode 500 as my main bag. May be bringing my bivvy bag with a ranger blanket for sleep. As for clothes, just extra socks, underwear, t-shirt, fleece top, toque, stealth suit too.

Medical kit will consist of moleskin, sport tape, airborne smarties. Also some foot powder, pain relief ointment, antiperspirant, and monkey butt powder. Going to see if the MIR will help me out. Chemical cold packs would be nice too, thinking about it.

As for food, I was thinking about IMP's. But the question for me is where can I get access to IMP's? I have a team of 4 members, for 24hrs. All CF members if that matters. Cliff bars for in between meals, and Camelbak Elixir for water intake.  If you have any suggestions/information for our team, please help out. More the merrier.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
TN

:cdn:

I have done 3 adventure races. Last summer I did the Angry Seagull 24 hr adventure race.

Don't worry about bringing sleeping kit. These races are designed that you don't sleep.

As for pace, it is really terrain dependent. We did a leg of mountain biking over some ridiculous terrain that was 35 Km. It took us 7.5 hrs! :)

These races are not easy but I really enjoy them and my team is looking at doing another race this year.

As for additional kit, there will be a kit list of mandatory kit that you will have to carry on the race. Check out the race rules when you register.

Water is always a problem on these races. I have learned the hard way that for summer races, I am going to have a minimum of 3L on my back with 2 water bottles on the biking section. Also, make sure you team carries 2 different filtration devices. You will want 2 for backup but also so that when you are filling your 4 x 3L water bladders, you don't waste 15 minutes sitting there.

One of the team names is "When Do We Eat?"  ;D
http://ecoendurancechallenge.ca/2012/01/10/2012-teams/

Speaking of food, might be wise to bring a little more food than just 3 standard IMP meals per person.
Lord only knows how many calories you will be burning. I wish you good luck if you decide to go! :)

As for water treatment, this stuff worked great for me on the West Coast Trail, from what I can remember it's tasteless, unlike iodine tabs etc. They also make filters.
PristinePersonalPackage_060531110536_sm.jpg

http://www.advancechemicals.ca/Pristine-Personal-Package
Should be able to find it at mountain equip co-op etc.

In terms of accessing IMP's I don't know about the CF ones but if you have a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) around you anywhere they sell a huge selection of IMP type meals.  Of course you can always get into contact with your COC and see if they can do anything the CF likes to promote us doing anything physical doesn't hurt to ask usually

Tollis said:
In terms of accessing IMP's I don't know about the CF ones but if you have a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) around you anywhere they sell a huge selection of IMP type meals.  Of course you can always get into contact with your COC and see if they can do anything the CF likes to promote us doing anything physical doesn't hurt to ask usually

I don't think I have ever found a good camping meal that didnt
A. taste or have a consistency similar to rice or dehydrated potato
B. Have to cut open and add hot water to cook and make edible,
The IMP meal you can eat cold as is, anything on the market come close to that?
On a side note, eat nothing but wieners and beans and your competitors will drop out of the race like flies ;D

Ya, a baguette with peanut butter and nutella. The meal of champions! :) Throw in some power bars, a few oranges and beef jerky and you've got my 24 race food.

It specifies that some of the terrain is bog... might be a good idea to bring a pair of Neos, they're pretty light and dry socks don't work well in wet boots.

Back