• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Down with Air-soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks, I was pursuing the forums and noticed that allot of people dislike airsoft. I was just wondering why? I know a few guys and a few girls that are enlisted with the CF that play the sport themselves and they could not answer the question. Two of the fellas i know just returned back from Afghanistan and were operating out in the field. So like I said just curious as to why airsoft is a "bad" thing. I saw on the news that the US military is using paintball as a new recruitment tool, by organizing large scale games. I would think you would want people using realistic looking weapons and the like over a paintball gun. I also would think this only helps the CF that people take an interest in the military and try to look like you guys, I'm not talking about mall ninjas either, just regular folks who like the idea of military type scenarios with realistic type weaponry.

Thanks for your time
Regards Troy K. Mayhew

post-10748-1158743970_thumb.jpg

I think that just about sums it up.  ;D

Because we get some folks on here, that make up whom they are. Not all cases. But some. That some, come on here and claim to be JTF-2 Ninja Commando. Other than that, I honestly have no problem with the hobby itself.

rofl that picture is hilarious, I do play the game but I'm not a mall ninja nor am i a chubby kid wanna-bee but yeah mall ninjas do run rampant especially here in Ottawa.

the hobby is fine.  As long as people remember that's what it is.  I can't tell you the amount of people that walk into the recruiting centre claiming to be "trained" because they play paint ball or airsoft or Halo and think that should count for something.  They also feel it's very realistic.  I had one kid tell me his favourite weapon was the P-90.  Never shot the thing for real but was a Rainbow 6 master.

Realistic looking weapons and funky outfits don't make a soldier.  There's a lot more to it.

I think the dislike is due to a handful of JTF2sniperninjaSASpiratecommando that are playing it.
Games I played, people didnt look like Mr. Twinkie here, neither size wise, nor gear wise.
I think of it as paintball, but less messy, with guns that dont look like Home Depot specials from the plumbing dept, more accurate, full auto, and cheaper (at least when it comes to ammo).

I'll offer up a personal opinion only, because I'm not qualified to speak in behalf of "a lot of people."

I also would think this only helps the CF that people take an interest in the military and try to look like you guys
Dressing up like a soldier does not make you even remotely "like a soldier." If you have an interest in the military, go see the Recruiters.

I'm not talking about mall ninjas either, just regular folks who like the idea of military type scenarios with realistic type weaponry
I guess this is the key phrase.
You see, there are a growing number of people in the military and on this site, who know that "military type scenarios" are ugly, and that "military type weapons" kill people, including our friends. For us, soldiering is our life. It's not a game.

You claim to distinguish yourselves from "mall ninjas" - - I don't actually know what that is, but I guess I'd consider airsofters and "mall ninjas" to be variations on a theme; both groups dress up as part of their make-believe persona.

Quite simply, we're from different worlds, and while it's certainly not "fair" or even nice, I personally can't help but look down upon an otherwise grown-up person dressing up and pretending to be "like soldiers."

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have much time for Trekkies either  ;)

Crantor said:
I can't tell you the amount of people that walk into the recruiting centre claiming to be "trained" because they play paint ball or airsoft or Halo and think that should count for something.  They also feel it's very realistic.  I had one kid tell me his favourite weapon was the P-90.  Never shot the thing for real but was a Rainbow 6 master.

Realistic looking weapons and funky outfits don't make a soldier.  There's a lot more to it.

You seriously get that?

Oh, c'mon! The last picture is just a low blow. That guy doesnt play airsoft. He's a bloody cosplayer dressed up in that stupid japanese cartoon where they carried german ww2 mg's.

Think of airsoft as a video game with AMAZING graphics, and where you actually get exercise  :D

yeah we all hate trekkies, a mall ninja is a JTF-2 super commando navy seal, and i don't think anyone is trying to be a soldier. also I don't think people are dressing up so they can fool themselves into believing they are a soldier(ok there are exceptions to every rule), I have the utmost respect for anyone who makes the ultimate sacrifice. I have respect for anyone in the military, it takes a hard work and dedication no way do i think I'm a soldier. As for people making false claims, I can think of more than one occasion where a person has completed basic and suddenly they are telling people they are JTF-2, so i don't think its just airsofters. Like anything there are always fakers and people that like to fool themselves into believing a fantasy.

sober_ruski said:
Think of airsoft as a video game with AMAZING graphics, and where you actually get exercise  :D

I dont think that this guy can even spell exercise

Brihard said:
post-10748-1158743970_thumb.jpg

I think that just about sums it up.  ;D

As for the part about trying to look like one.
Well, it is played mostly in the woods. What's a good way of reducing your chance of being seen? Camo (i have a $30 set of old DPMs for that, works perfect for where i played). Have to put spare mags somewhere. Natural choice would be various vests and rigs. The cheapo DPM vest i had, spend $100 on it, could carry more stuff than the issued one  ::). Quality was also on par with the issued one  ;D

I won't fire man carry him.

Ikes!

I always get a kick out of folks that wear combats as civvies. Usually I"ll tell the person that they can get paid for wearing that!

I seen some Naval folk do that too. It just makes me want to puke. I can't stand army style clothing anymore. I"ll wear it to work and that is it. I kind of wish I was a nudist at times. I wonder what the RSM would say....

He would get a taste of my helmet across his face. I never even noticed Vern!

Any time I've played, I've never seen any posers or that kind of sh*t. Probably helped that the club I played with in BC had a lot of ex an current CF members an one or two RCMP officers in it.    I'm assuming it should be pretty good for that too out here since I'm assuming a good number of guys on base play; seen a ad in the 2PPCLI canteen about some upcoming airsoft event an a For Sale ad for a airsoft rifle in the kitshop.

Only people who act/talk like they are the real deal an are right the f*ck out of it IMO, least that I've seen are only online. Havent ran into one at a game here, least not yet.

TN2IC said:
I won't fire man carry him.

Ikes!

I always get a kick out of folks that wear combats as civvies. Usually I"ll tell the person that they can get paid for wearing that!

I seen some Naval folk do that too. It just makes me want to puke. I can't stand army style clothing anymore. I"ll wear it to work and that is it. I kind of wish I was a nudist at times. I wonder what the RSM would say....

I wear combat pants to work every day.  I can carry half my toolbox in the pockets, plus I have 5 pair left over from final clearance, why not wear 'em?  I think I earned it.

Piper said:
I think it's because of these guys;

http://www.pbase.com/cdn_airsoft_regiment/profile

Oh God.

"Unit stores"? "RSM"?

As someone who played airsoft, and wouldnt mine an occasional game, i would like to take a moment and distance myself from those people as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back