• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

My question is...why the hell isn't the US Government standing up and protecting its citizen?

Andrew Luster was a serial rapist who video-taped himself raping and torturing dozens of women all over the United States.  He skipped town before his trial and went to Mexico, where he's been living ever since - in Puerto Vallarta, also - a major tourist attraction for tens of thousands of Canadians and Americans each year.  He moved to a city that is full of groups of young girls/women down there for Reading Week, Spring Break, etc, etc - knowing his chances of getting caught are virtually nil' because of the high visitor traffic that visits the city each year, and his financial status.  (Not to mention, Mexican police can be fairly easily bought).

Dog goes down, tracks him down to a nightclub that is popular with young people, and arrests him with the intent of bringing him back across the border and into the United States, where he can finally be put to trial and put behind bars.  Lets not forget, the FBI and virtually every law enforcement agency in the country went on a massive manhunt looking for him.  He gets stopped by the Mexican police, held in custody, and released - which is more than Andrew Luster can say for himself.  And a few months after everything is said and done...they want to extradite him to Mexico, where he could face 4yrs in prison?

Dog did the world a favour.  He got a sick, twisted SOB off the streets - out of a popular tourist destination - and behind bars.  And what's his thanks?  Extradition, where he'll be at the mercy of the oh-so-transparent Mexican judicial system.  Hopefully someone in the US Justice Department can figure something out and step up - we outta' be thanking the man, not hanging him out to dry.

I couldn't agree more CBH99. I don't understand why the US will not fight for one of it's own citizens. On top of that, Dog did the US government a favor by bringing Luster into custody. Absolute BS in my opinion. As for him being apprehended and released by the Mexican Police....well listen to a few words of wisdom.

We all know the Mexican police are corrupt as hell, so that explains a few things. In fact, a few years ago, three friends of mine were motorbiking in Mexico and they were all involved in an accident. One of them was seriously hurt and taken to a hospital. The other two were handcuffed, brought to a Mexican prison and seperated. They were not allowed to be released until they each paid $200 American.

Basicly, all this story proves is that Luster could have just paid them the right ammount of $$ and that was his release. It's likely the main reason that Bounty Hunting is illegal in Mexico, there would likely be paycut for Mexican cops and many job layoffs. Plain and simple corruption. 

sober_ruski said:
So... he goes out of his way to take down a repeat rapist playboy who thinks he is untouchable because of his money and... goes to jail for it? Way to go Mexico. Where was their "police" when that scum was walking free there?

And he would go to jail here in Canada too, and probably dozens of other countries as well.  Despite how laudable his actions were (and lets not forget that the Chapman's motives weren't entirely altruistic, there was a very very large bounty, like $1,000,000 for luster's capture, and Chapman wanted a piece of that), what he did was still ILLEGAL. Despite people's personal opinions Mexico is still a Sovereign country with its own laws, which do not allow Bounty Hunting.  You can make all the ridiculous assumptions you want about why it is illegal (like its to allow criminals to seek safe haven), or you can accept the fact that bounty hunting and bounty hunters are an archaic form of vigilante justice, which is largely unregulated and unorganised, and has led to innocent people getting hurt and or killed. Perhaps that is the reason it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Hatchet Man said:
And he would go to jail here in Canada too, and probably dozens of other countries as well.  Despite how laudable his actions were (and lets not forget that the Chapman's motives weren't entirely altruistic, there was a very very large bounty, like $1,000,000 for luster's capture, and Chapman wanted a piece of that), what he did was still ILLEGAL. Despite people's personal opinions Mexico is still a Sovereign country with its own laws, which do not allow Bounty Hunting.  You can make all the ridiculous assumptions you want about why it is illegal (like its to allow criminals to seek safe haven), or you can accept the fact that bounty hunting and bounty hunters are an archaic form of vigilante justice, which is largely unregulated and unorganised, and has led to innocent people getting hurt and or killed. Perhaps that is the reason it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

+1

Hatchet Man said:

There are few times when "archaic vigilante justice" is the only way to get rid of low life scum that preys on innocent. He found the guy in a god damned club where young people go. Something tells me his intentions there were less than legal. Also, why was this guy not hunted down by Mexican police? Or is RAPE legal in Mexico now? Lesser of 2 evils.

From the depths of history:
In 1960 Israeli agents kidnapped Nazi Adolf Eichmann from Argentine territory. This violation of international law sparked protests from all quarters. Israel, having accomplished its goal, apologized to Argentina, which had no great desire to draw attention to its colony of former Nazis and accepted the apology. The world turned its eyes to Eichmann's trial, and the incident was forgotten.

I don't think the States was putting alot of pressure on Mexico either due to the family money

Guy will likely get less than he deserves since money talks

3rd Herd said:
From the depths of history:
In 1960 Israeli agents kidnapped Nazi Adolf Eichmann from Argentine territory. This violation of international law sparked protests from all quarters. Israel, having accomplished its goal, apologized to Argentina, which had no great desire to draw attention to its colony of former Nazis and accepted the apology. The world turned its eyes to Eichmann's trial, and the incident was forgotten.

And the Israeli's involved weren't Bounty Hunters or engaged in Bounty Hunting. While their actions are similar, they are not the same thing (Government sanctioned snatch and grabs on persons of national interest/importance using highly trained operatives vs self trained amateur private citizens, operating on thier own accord, kidnapping others for money).  Lets try and keep this on "bounty hunting", and not confuse this with what the Israeli's and other governments have done, because thats a whole other discussion in its own right.

sober_ruski said:
There are few times when "archaic vigilante justice" is the only way to get rid of low life scum that preys on innocent. He found the guy in a god damned club where young people go. Something tells me his intentions there were less than legal. Also, why was this guy not hunted down by Mexican police? Or is RAPE legal in Mexico now? Lesser of 2 evils.

Not trying to defend Luster, but do you know for a fact that the mexicans were not looking for him, or if US authorities had given them information or asked for extradition?  As well as far as we know Luster never committed a crime while he was in Mexico.  Is the world a safer place with luster in jail, yeah probably.  However that doesn't changed the fact that for a self-proported "Lawman" Chapman flagrantly violated another countries laws in the process, and now he has to face the music, just like one of his own skips.  Like I already said, if he had pulled the same stunt up here, the end result would be the same, Chapman facing charges of unlawful arrest, forceable confinement, assualt etc.

riggermade said:
Guy will likely get less than he deserves since money talks

IMHO, I really don't think that he deserves any jail time or fines (well, maybe a small slap on the wrist fine). I mean, he DID take a brutal rapist off the streets where he was a danger of returning to his victims. The rapist is now in jail, and the one man who actually cared enough to lift a finger to put him there is now there too. This isn't right, but thats just the  .02 cents in my mind.

Hatchet Man said:

Not trying to defend Luster, but do you know for a fact that the mexicans were not looking for him
, or if US authorities had given them information or asked for extradition?  As well as far as we know Luster never committed a crime while he was in Mexico.  Is the world a safer place with luster in jail, yeah probably.  However that doesn't changed the fact that for a self-proported "Lawman" Chapman flagrantly violated another countries laws in the process, and now he has to face the music, just like one of his own skips.  Like I already said, if he had pulled the same stunt up here, the end result would be the same, Chapman facing charges of unlawful arrest, forceable confinement, assualt etc.

Apparently they were not looking hard enough if it took take a guy to come from HAWAII to get that shit bag off the streets.

midget-boyd91 said:
IMHO, I really don't think that he deserves any jail time or fines (well, maybe a small slap on the wrist fine). I mean, he DID take a brutal rapist off the streets where he was a danger of returning to his victims. The rapist is now in jail, and the one man who actually cared enough to lift a finger to put him there is now there too. This isn't right, but thats just the  .02 cents in my mind.

I totally agree!  Regardless of whether money was the reason, or just Dog wanting to do what was right....I'm glad he did it.

Back