• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does size matter in the CF trades?

• Thread starter Thread starter EmilyB
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EmilyB

I am thinking about applying as a DEO officer, I will graduate from university in the spring. However, I am somewhat petite at 4'11" and about 85-90lbs. Despite this I am very strong, flexible and have a lot of endurance( I was a gymnast). I realize that I would not be able to apply as a pilot because of my size and probably infantry as well (wasn't interested anyway). I have not seen any other size restrictions for the other trades. I was thinking about MARS and was wondering if I could do this because I'm small. Some people I have talked to said that I could not

Thanks

Mars I am quite sure should be okay.  I know of one guy and one girl both who are now MARS officers and they were both under 5ft.  I really don't see why it would be an issue for that job.

EmilyB said:
I am thinking about applying as a DEO officer, I will graduate from university in the spring. However, I am somewhat petite at 4'11" and about 85-90lbs. Despite this I am very strong, flexible and have a lot of endurance( I was a gymnast). I realize that I would not be able to apply as a pilot because of my size and probably infantry as well (wasn't interested anyway). I have not seen any other size restrictions for the other trades. I was thinking about MARS and was wondering if I could do this because I'm small. Some people I have talked to said that I could not

Thanks

MARS would be perfect because they have boxes on the bridge so you can look out the windows.   Check out Admiral Buck the shortest man in NATO:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_bio...asp?SectChoice=1&mAction=View&mBiographyID=35

Check out Air Nav and AEC too. Cheers.

OK ,

maybe it's just me but as far as I know (I could be wrong here) you can't be refused based on size  ??? (wouldn't it be discrimination to do so??)
I'm in infantry and there is at least one person in my unit that is very small, below 5' .  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

infantry officer said:
OK ,

maybe it's just me but as far as I know (I could be wrong here) you can't be refused based on size   ??? (wouldn't it be discrimination to do so??)
I'm in infantry and there is at least one person in my unit that is very small, below 5' .   Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

As was mentioned, there is a restriction on pilots for size. It has nothing to do with discrimination and everything to do with safety. Too short and you won't be able to fly ejection seat aircraft (ie you wouldn't survive an ejection) and since everyone flys ejection seat aircraft in training, there's restrictions put on pilot's body size.

As for other trades, I can't say, but if it's a safety thing then I don't see a problem restricting people from trades based on body size.

infantry officer said:
I'm in infantry and there is at least one person in my unit that is very small, below 5' .   Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

I know who your talking about  ;) .  Nice to se some fellow RMRs in here.

back on topic, the only thing that really matters is your will to be a soldier.

I have been told not to go infantry because I am "too small". While I firmly believe that a person can do anything they want to do it is within reason. I am a fairly small female. okay really I weigh 49kg also I have chicken wings  :crybaby: I can do all the physical fitness stuff, I am just really small.

Akkkk...credit? um yeah

I was in the reserves with a chick that was pretty small. She was probably the same size as you. She was goin to be a combat engineer, which isn't that different from infantry. She had a pretty rough time with the PT we were doin but she still pulled through. As long as ya got the determination you should be fine.

my father a Mcpl taught SQ in Shilo last summer for reservists. allot of them were form the west coast.

i remember speaking in one example about a particular "recruit" who when marched in rank with ruck, all you saw was a ruck with 2 boots (perhaps a little over exagoration here). aside from having some difficulties where big people have little to no problem, she did great. if i remember correctly she was the among the fastest doing C9 (?) drills.

that is why there are minimum requirements. if you can meat those, then you should be able to do most any standard job without allot of trouble.

if you have the heart, you can do it.

MARS would be good due to you don't have to worry about wacking your head on the ship.. like myself... hints why I did'nt go NAVY.... hahaha... good luck.

hahah

Im 6'4", i can see me now doing drills. Bulkhead! "Ouch"... Bulkhead! "Ouch"... Bulkhead! "Ouch"...

what specificley is MARS?

Guy. E said:
hahah

Im 6'4", i can see me now doing drills. Bulkhead! "Ouch"... Bulkhead! "Ouch"... Bulkhead! "Ouch"...

what specificley is MARS?

I'm pretty sure they don't do drill on ships...

Guy E
Officer - Maritime Surface and Sub-surface 
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=71&bhcp=1

please forgive me, i dont know my navy terms:

by drills and not drill. i ment running to your stations, damage repair, fire supression/ fighting drills. all that kinda stuff.  :)

Physical  stature will NOT disqualify you from entrance to the CF. You'll never be selected to be as right marker on a parade, BUT most of your unforms will fit because they will have to be custom made or altered.
Good luck

I'm a tad bit on the tall side (6'9").  It doesn't matter too much, but I was just wondering if I should expect some "special attention" (in a negative way) from my superiors, or be used to set examples.  :'(

(re-named, as title was not related clearly enough to the content - paramodboy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back