• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do you need to be Bilingual to beomce an Officer?

Lumo2000

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, if all goes as planned I will hopefully become any Officer in Armed Forces within the next few years (Still in High School). My question is, do you need to be Bilingual to become an Officer? Or if you do not, does RMC/the military see it as a plus if you know how to speak fluent French? 

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and could not find it. Or if this is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Lumo2000 said:
Hello, if all goes as planned I will hopefully become any Officer in Armed Forces within the next few years (Still in High School). My question is, do you need to be Bilingual to become an Officer? Or if you do not, does RMC/the military see it as a plus if you know how to speak fluent French? 

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and could not find it. Or if this is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

I really don't see much in the way of your abilities to do the most basic of research and use of initiative.  Just for you:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1PRFC_enCA563CA563&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=army.ca%2C%20do%20you%20need%20to%20be%20bilingual%20to%20be%20an%20officer

No, you don't need to be bilingual to join as an officer. Many officers do undergo second language training though, and some positions (especially senior ones) require bilingualism.

Might I suggest the weekly recruiting thread on Reddit for future questions (save yourself being berated for asking a question). http://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/

He didn't get berated for asking a question. 

It got pointed out that he didn't search hard enough.

Which most certainly has been answered on this site - as I asked a very similar question a few years back.  I found my own question fairly easily using the search option above.

In short - some officer positions will require you to be bilingual, most/all will place a high desirability on it (it has an impact on your likelyhood of promotion, for example).  You do not have to be bilingual to be hired as an officer (unless the specific officer skill set requires it), but it is certainly something you should be looking into either before joining or once employed by the CAF.

bradley247 said:
No, you don't need to be bilingual to join as an officer. Many officers do undergo second language training though, and some positions (especially senior ones) require bilingualism.

Might I suggest the weekly recruiting thread on Reddit for future questions (save yourself being berated for asking a question). http://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/

For career advancement as a Commissioned Officer in the CAF, YES, you will need to reach a certain level of proficiency in the French language if you hope to get beyond the rank of Captain.

For what it's worth, the recommended "recruiting thread" on Reddit, is littered with errors and mis-information.

Back