• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do Not Call (especially during dinner!)

A friend did it for me, I couldn't get to it.

She had the time to register her-self, me, another friend, her family,
and I still couldn't get in !

She's with another internet cie, maybe it's that, some other server ...

gonna try again and register today website took forever to load yesterday guess it was a little busy

Registered - I got right in, and it only took a few seconds. We aren't much bothered. I've been requesting to be put on DNC lists every time I got a call for a long time. It eventually gets rid of most of them. Problem is, more and more keep popping up. The new registry should stop that. Has anyone heard if this applies to US or off-shore companies calling into Canada?

:cdn:
Hawk

I attended a presentation on this last week - as far as the presenter knew it doesnt work for organizations outside of Canada

Celticgirl, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I registered tonight and got it done real fast; although, I've had some fun with telemarketers in the last while.

One favorite trick:
-- politely ask them to wait while you grab a writing device and notepad.
--grab the dog and leash and walk out the door effectively leaving the telemarketer hanging ...

Not sure about this one: a male friend I work with claims, if the telemarketer is female, he goes into heavy breathing/panting mode and launches a full-tilt sexual verbal assault. He says this is a very effective deterrent. ::)

Anyone else have a good telemarketer-aversion strategy?
I'm glad they're doing this but have a feeling the telemarketers will just get sneakier. As in, pretending they're doing research, for example.

Prior to this coming out I used the www.ioptout.ca website that Greymatters mentioned and was really happy with the results. My spouse didn't and she continued to get telemarketing phone calls. I did since sign up with the do not call website just to ensure it continues for me and hopefully the calls stop for her.

Greymatters said:
I attended a presentation on this last week - as far as the presenter knew it doesnt work for organizations outside of Canada

In followup, there was apparently an article in the paper yesterday (04 Oct) saying the same thing, but I havent been able to locate the article yet...

leroi said:
Anyone else have a good telemarketer-aversion strategy?
I'm glad they're doing this but have a feeling the telemarketers will just get sneakier. As in, pretending they're doing research, for example. 

I heard a good story about how the person who got called convinced the telemarketer that they had now become involved in a homicide investigation by calling the residence of the deceased while the police were there, and that police had now traced the call and were enroute to pick up the telemarketer for questioning. 

Funny story when told, but not completely sure if it was a true one or just a wishful fiction...

Greymatters said:
I heard a good story about how the person who got called convinced the telemarketer that they had now become involved in a homicide investigation by calling the residence of the deceased while the police were there, and that police had now traced the call and were enroute to pick up the telemarketer for questioning. 

Funny story when told, but not completely sure if it was a true one or just a wishful fiction...

I think the link to that call is here on the site somewhere. It's hilarious.

Funny thing I've noticed... I have signed up for both DNCL, and IOptout, and seem to be getting MORE calls now ::). Anyone else notice this lately?

The majority of them seem to be the prerecorded kind, with no human telemarketer at all. In my world, these guys would be slow roasted in the marinade of MY choice (battery acid comes to mind) :threat:

Jimmy67 said:
Funny thing I've noticed... I have signed up for both DNCL, and IOptout, and seem to be getting MORE calls now ::). Anyone else notice this lately?

The majority of them seem to be the prerecorded kind, with no human telemarketer at all. In my world, these guys would be slow roasted in the marinade of MY choice (battery acid comes to mind) :threat:

Getting as many calls in as they can before that 31 days to comply sets in --- they aren't stupid. Pains in the ass granted, but far from stupid.

Oh, and yes I have noticed --- I usually get three or four a week; but I've had three yesterday alone - total 10-15 this past week. Uhhmmm, something tells me they've already subscribed to the DNC list ... and are feverishly working only those phone numbers included on it right up until that 30th day is up.

I have a theory on why this is happening, but am waiting for some verification before I post it.  May take a couple weeks...

Greymatters said:
I have a theory on why this is happening, but am waiting for some verification before I post it.  May take a couple weeks...

LOL. Let me guess ... the list was "sold" to the telemarketers.  :o

Sure it was, they have to subscribe to it - to make sure they don't call those numbers --- but they've got 30 days to comply after the date your number is officially registered.

For the next month - they'll be getting their 5 bucks worth ensuring they hit every number on that DNC list in an effort to make some money before those numbers become off-limits to them and their harassing ways.

Well, I wouldnt say it was 'sold' - more like distributed as part of regulatory enforcement to ensure that telemarketers dont call these people, which would be against regulations.  And since, the regulations arent yet in effect, its a bit of a loophole, but I havent found any source to confirm it yet...

Greymatters said:
Well, I wouldnt say it was 'sold' - more like distributed as part of regulatory enforcement to ensure that telemarketers dont call these people, which would be against regulations.  And since, the regulations arent yet in effect, its a bit of a loophole, but I havent found any source to confirm it yet...

Try the registry website ...

Telemarketers can register on it too and pay for their subscription to the listing ...

When I registered my numbers a pop-up appeared which stated that telemarketers had 30 days to comply and that I'd still receive phone calls in the interim ...

You don't think that the telemarketers aren't going to make the most of that 30 days do you? Seriously?? They call during supper and at 0730 in the morning (once I got one about midnight !!  >:(), surely 30 days is an open invitation for them to attack full force while still able. It may be a technicality, and it may be unethical for them to buy the list and then bombard those registered numbers for the 30 days they've got ... but it wouldn't shock nor surprise me if that is exactly what is occuring - that's exactly why my number is registered - because asking them not to call me anymore previous to the DNC list and expecting them to heed my wishes seems to have revealed that ... they didn't really care about my wishes anyway as they continued to call unabated.

As you know, inferring/presuming that something is happening based on realistic evidence, and having someone in an official position admit it is happening, are two different things...

Greymatters said:
As you know, inferring/presuming that something is happening based on realistic evidence, and having someone in an official position admit it is happening, are two different things...

And, I hope that you don't realisticly expect any "official admission" from the telemarketing side of the house that this is in fact what is occuring; nor, I suspect, will you get any "official admission" of it happening from the DNC List regulatory side of the house - as they are not telemarketers and therefore can only speculate themselves as to whether that's the reason why my telemarketing phone call received rate has gone up 500% since my number was added to the list. The ethics of the former group in disregarding a customers wish "to not be called by them" has already been demonstrated - precisely demonstrating exactly why the DNC List had to be put instituted in the first place.

Their livlihood is about to disappear in 30 days - of course they're making the most of the time they have left ... just anyone else who feeds their family/pays their mortgage based upon commission/solicitation would - if their customers were about to disappear.

Regardless, about 24 days from now - my number is off-limits ... and I suspect the sudden influx of calls (which I believe will continue for the next 23 days) will suddenly cease on that magical 31st day they "officially" have to comply.

Back