• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deconstructing "Progressive " thought

But I would argue that the motivation behind the various conservative movements is the same. For a long period (1931 to 1995, with two brief (two years each) GOP interregnums (1947-40 and 53-55) the Democrats in the US controlled the House of Representative and, almost a much, the White House. In Canada the Liberals were in power, in Ottawa, almost steadily from 1921 to 1957 (Bennett's Conservatives governed from 1931-35). Conservatives of various stripes were green with envy and they trashed everything the Liberals/Democrats did, no matter how well considered or useful those progressive policies might have been.

There is a pretty significant difference here, though:

Progressives are firmly in the driver's seat in both the US Federal government and the California State House (not to mention the San Fransisco City Council), and the person being protested has been a significant contributer to the Progressive cause in the past. This isn't attacking the opposition political party, but (through the inexorable logic of Progressive "Class Warfare") turning on their own.

If you want a closer analogy, watching the French Revolution consume itself, or the destruction of the early Bolshevik leadership through the show trials and purges of the 1930's would seem to describe the situation much more closely. Reading "Animal Farm" is instructive as well.

This isn't to say the TEA Party movement and other right wingers won't be cheering them on from the sidelines; watching your enemies destroy each other is almost as satisfying (and much more economical) than doing it yourself.

Thucydides said:
This isn't to say the TEA Party movement and other right wingers won't be cheering them on from the sidelines; watching your enemies destroy each other is almost as satisfying (and much more economical) than doing it yourself.
Coming from the area of the political spectrum that turned "primary" into a verb,  cheering on a destruction of the progressives might be more akin to two men falling off a cliff and one celebrating the fact that the other is about to meet his doom. 

More on the "Protests" in San Fransisco. This seems to be a derivative of the "Occupy" movement, with equally vague ideas and goals. The danger is the underlying resentment of the successful people could be used to whip up the "Occupy" types to more drastic actions:

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2014/04/06/vanishing-point/?singlepage=true

Vanishing Point

April 6th, 2014 - 9:56 pm

There was an interesting postscript to the Eich saga in the bizarre protest held against Internet entreprenuer Kevin Rose.  The San Francisco Chronicle reports that protesters stood with signs and flyers outside of the Google Ventures partner and entrepreneur’s home in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighborhood Sunday, calling him a ‘parasite’ and a ‘leech.’  Techcrunch has a copy of the flyer:

‘As a partner venture capitalist at Google Ventures, Kevin directs the flow of capital from Google into the tech startup bubble that is destroying San Francisco. The start-ups that he funds bring the swarms of young entrepreneurs that have ravaged the landscapes of San Francisco and Oakland.’

The flyer claims to speak for the service workers who “serve them coffee, deliver them food, suck their c***s [?], watch their kids, and mop their floors” and goes on to complain that most techies are “just like Kevin Rose,” though again, it’s short on specific criticisms, aside from pointing out that techies make a lot of money.

A supposed manifesto from an organization called “The Counterforce” makes demands believed to be related to the protest.

To this end, we now make our first clear demand of Google. We demand that Google give three billion dollars to an anarchist organization of our choosing. This money will then be used to create autonomous, anti-capitalist, and anti-racist communities throughout the Bay Area and Northern California. In these communities, whether in San Francisco or in the woods, no one will ever have to pay rent and housing will be free. With this three billion from Google, we will solve the housing crisis in the Bay Area and prove to the world that an anarchist world is not only possible but in fact irrepressible. If given the chance, most humans will pursue a course towards increased freedom and greater liberty. As it stands, only people like Kevin Rose are given the opportunity to reshape their world, and look at what they do with those opportunities.

There is no direct relationship between the Eich and Rose incidents, besides the sheer outré character of the events, but one can’t help get the feeling that they emanate from the same strange universe, whatever universe that might be.  But it’s all shadows with nothing besides fantastic flashbacks of “Scorpio” from Dirty Harry and the People’s Temple crowds bellowing for an airlift to Russia to lend it shape.

Business Insider suggests the protests were something more prosaic. It’s social unrest. It’s poor people fighting for their share of the hipster pie outraged at the high rents in the Bay Area and the outrageous pricing of goodies beyond their reach. It’s the rebellion of “social equals” who find they are financial inferiors. It’s the outcry of people who thought they were part of a great movement who discover they are, after all, only menials. That makes it all the more pathetic.  Business Insider says:

Google and Yahoo have been the targets of two days of unrest from activists in the San Francisco and Oakland areas protesting the gentrification of the neighborhoods by wealthy tech workers.

Both Google and Yahoo offer private shuttle buses to get their staff from the San Francisco area to Silicon Valley, where their corporate campuses are. Yesterday, one protester vomited on a Yahoo bus.

Today, Twitter accounts using the names Occupy Oakland and Defend The Bay Area claim they stopped a Google bus in the street and attached a sticker to it, with the words “Die Techie Scum” on it. The protesters tell Business Insider that the sign didn’t stay attached, and the bus was later allowed on its way.

It makes sense that the protest sign didn’t stay attached, almost as if to emphasize the incompetence of the protesters, who if they had the skills to stick stuff on right would be working for the post office instead of being lousy activists for Occupy Oakland and Defend the Bay Area.

One can’t help but feel sorry for the crowd that “serve them coffee, deliver them food, suck their c***s [?], watch their kids, and mop their floors”. Sorry for the awakening; sorry because they were sold a a sack of s***, and like a person who borrows 200 grand to acquire a degree in feminist studies find that it isn’t worth a damn.

But maybe it’s a good thing too.  The first step back from that hazy world. And about time. Too many people have been spending the last decades of their lives doing basically nothing thinking it was something.  And maybe they just figured it out.

Right before the Eich story broke a minor brouhaha crossed the pages involving an activist called Suey Park and The Colbert Report.  Suey Park is, would you believe, someone who The Guardian has ordained one of the “the top 30 young people in digital media”, featuring her as number twelve on the list.  And she did something recently, though it’s hard to say exactly what. Salon devoted a considerable amount of space to the vague events without ever once succeeding in pinning it down. Here’s what they wrote:

On Thursday night, a writer, comedian and activist named Suey Park saw an opportunity when “The Colbert Report” tweeted: “I am willing to show the Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong, Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever.” It was a joke pulled out of context from a segment mocking Dan Snyder’s Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation. The 23-year-old jumped on it immediately, calling to #CancelColbert over the racial slur. Then, Twitter’s “peculiar distortion effect,” as Jay Caspian Kang described it in the New Yorker, took hold. Those outraged by Park’s call to cancel a show over an out-of-context joke amplified the hashtag and made it go viral.

But Park told Kang that she never wanted the show canceled, and that, in fact, she is a fan. “Instead,” writes Kang, “she saw the hashtag as a way to critique white liberals who use forms of racial humor to mock more blatant forms of racism.”

Shorn of the breathless hype it turns out this was about someone tweeting about a show; and what some thought was a criticism was really only a way to “critique white liberals who use forms of racial humor to mock more blatant forms of racism”. In other words it turns out to be nothing consequential at all; just an exchange of pixels between a media personality and an activist, whatever that occupation is, though it’s apparently right up there with the career that made Barack Obama when he was rising to the top.

Oddly enough people reach the pinnacle of society these days being activists, polemicists, digital figures, gurus, tech evangelists, civil rights leaders, First Ladies and talk show hosts. So you have to sympathize with the Occupy People who think that, having tried to do all that, they ought to be somebodies.

Welcome to the world of forced perspective; where Eich can get pilloried for voting the wrong way on Proposition 8 and Kevin Rose can get picketed for being able to buy stuff from the people who are picketing him.  It lifts the lid on a strange world. A place where Vladimir Putin, al-Qaeda, and or asteroids from space don’t exist except as things that George Bush should have taken care of; it gives a glimpse into a universe where gas drilling is just a bad word and the armed forces a job where crazy people earn a living whenever they’re not driving pickup trucks; it provides a peek into a tableau where people actually think food comes from the store and gas comes from the gas pump and money to house everyone in the woods will come from Google’s $3 billion in spare change.

Brother can you spare a tera-dime?

And yet for some reason the glimpse is not reassuring. One could just turn the page and dismiss these as scenes from a freak show, except in the characters in this exhibition are on the stage of an industry with the power of life or death over our privacy; except for the vague fear that this is how America wandered into the Obama era in the first place.

One is reminded of Edgar Allan Poe’s story of the Hop-Frog where the court jester persuades the King and his court to play a monstrous joke on the crowd and caper among them costumed as orang-utans. And then the jester sets fire to their flammable costumes in revenge for all his pent-up slights. There were tears behind the make-up; ignorance beneath the cool; and not a little madness under the tight-lipped smile.

The relationship between the pied pipers and their following is an interesting one. The players may promise to whisk the crowd on an adventure; but in the end all they can count on is to go along for the ride.

Waiting to see this start happening in Canada:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/04/civil-war-on-the-left.php

Civil War on the Left?

The conventional wisdom is that the Republican Party is badly divided between Tea Party insurgents and the “Establishment.”  And while there is some truth to this, consider the following question: What happens to the Democratic Party in 2016 if Hillary Clinton decides not to run?  My answer: chaos and ideological infighting you haven’t seen inside the Democratic Party since its suicide attempt in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

On the surface, no one besides Joe Biden (insert guffaw here) is in position to mount a serious campaign at this point.  Where are the Democratic governors waiting in the wings to mount a serious campaign?  Maryland’s Martin O’Malley is on a short list of one.  But we’re just not going to elect another Irishman to succeed O’bama. Okay, that was a corny joke. O’Malley’s real problem is his liberalism. From there you think of Elizabeth Warren, who according to recent polls generates excitement among the Democratic Party base like no one since George McGovern.  Oh please, make it so.

But the better evidence of how the Democratic Party could come to blows comes from California, which right now rivals China for one-party control.  Never mind the three Democratic state senators all heading for the hoosegow for corruption: the bigger story is how Democratic ethnic factions are viciously turning on one another:

Weeks after some Asian-American lawmakers killed a measure to restore affirmative action in California’s public colleges by withdrawing their support, backlash from Democrats who supported the effort is surfacing in the Capitol and on the campaign trail.

Repercussions of the Legislature’s decision last month to shelve Senate Constitutional Amendment 5 appear to be pitting some African American and Latino Democrats against their Asian American colleagues. Asian American Democrats were the subject of an intense advocacy campaign by opponents of affirmative action, and their decision not to support the measure caused it to fail last month.

Today, several members of the Legislature’s black and Latino caucuses withheld their votes on a non-controversial bill, killing the measure by Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi. Last week, six black and Latino Democrats sent Sen. Ted Lieu a letter withdrawing their endorsement in his race for Congress. Muratsuchi and Lieu are both Asian Americans and Democrats from Torrance.

There is no way out of this for Democrats.  Once you believe that the pie is fixed and has to be divvied up by the state, eventually you’ll have to turn on one another.

Yuval Levin made some points at NRO with respective to the progressive/conservative "war".

It touches on the notion that all that should be needed to sway people from one set of beliefs to another is more (and more accurate) information, and why it is an unlikely recourse since there are philosophical and material factors which weigh deeply.

I agree with him that these are what lie at the heart of each faction:

"American progressives have long contended that as social science enables us to overcome some of the limits of what we know, it should also be permitted to overcome the constitutional limits on what government may do. They take themselves to be an exception to the rule that all parties see only parts of the whole, and therefore an exception also to the ubiquity of confirmation bias, and so they demand an exception to the rule that no party should have too much raw power."

and on the other side:

"But the progressives’ understanding of how social science can come to know society and of how such knowledge might be put into effect has itself been a point of great contention with conservatives — who tend to think that a society’s knowledge exists mostly in dispersed forms and therefore that public policy should work largely by enabling the dispersed social institutions of civil society, local community, and the market economy to address problems from the bottom up through incremental trial-and-error learning processes."

Progressives are fond of claiming the mantle of being rational, objective, data-driven thinkers.  In brief, they claim to support "whatever works".  But that would mean discarding and changing "whatever doesn't work".  It isn't difficult to find examples of legislative programs and policies favoured by progressives, about which they become extremely "conservative" (or politically over-committed and defensive) if any change or tinkering is advanced by anyone not under the progressive tent.  Thus:

"It is also no coincidence, therefore, that people who claim that progressivism is pragmatism strongly incline to centralized technocratic approaches to policy — which leave little room for experimentation, make it difficult to evaluate success and failure, and create programs that are very hard to change or discard when they fail, and therefore aren’t very pragmatic at all."

The dirigiste / decentralized divide is what animates each side.  Dirigism is self-evidently limited by the capacity of people to assimilate information and act (ie. decision cycles), just as decentralization is self-evidently limited by the problems of insufficient interest to merit effective intervention (ie. market failures).

An interesting idea: Political correctness is an economic activity, providing a "payoff" to the practictioners of this activity. Since people follow incentives, then the solution to PC tyranny is to eliminate the "payoff":

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/the-economics-of-political-correctness

The economics of political correctness

Kristian Niemietz

30 April 2014

Over the past few years, spiked online magazine has consistently and robustly defended the principle of free speech against the censorship demands of the politically correct, whatever quarter they may come from. It is great, of course, that there is at least one magazine in which the phrase ‘I believe in free speech’ is unlikely to be followed by a ‘but…’, and more likely to be followed by an ‘even for…’. But while I fully support the spiked line, I also think the spiked authors sometimes misinterpret the intentions of the ‘PC brigade’, and would like to offer an alternative interpretation rooted in boring, old-fashioned textbook economics.

Spiked authors believe that PC is driven by a loathing for ordinary people. According to spiked, PC brigadiers view ordinary folks as extremely impressionable, easily excitable, and full of latent resentment. Exposure to the wrong opinions, even isolated words, could immediately awaken the lynch mob. PC, then, is about protecting ‘the vulnerable’ from the nasty tendencies of the majority population.

But if PC was not really about protecting anyone, and really all about expressing one’s own moral superiority,  PC credentials would be akin to what economists call a ‘positional good’.

A positional good is a good that people acquire to signalise where they stand in a social hierarchy; it is acquired in order to set oneself apart from others. Positional goods therefore have a peculiar property: the utility their consumers derive from them is inversely related to the number of people who can access them.

Positionality is not a property of the good itself, it is a matter of the consumer’s motivations. I may buy an exquisite variety of wine because I genuinely enjoy the taste, or acquire a degree from a reputable university because I genuinely appreciate what that university has to offer. But my motivation could also be to set myself apart from others, to present myself as more sophisticated or smarter. From merely observing that I consume the product, you could not tell my motivation. But you could tell it by observing how I respond once other people start drinking the same wine, or attending the same university.

If I value those goods for their intrinsic qualities, their increasing popularity will not trouble me at all. After all, the enjoyment derived from wine or learning is not fixed, so your enjoyment does not subtract from my enjoyment. I may even invite others to join me – we can all have more of it.

But if you see me moaning that the winemakers/the university have ‘sold out’, if you see me whinging about those ignoramuses who do not deserve the product because they (unlike me, of course) do not really appreciate it, you can safely conclude that for me, this good is a positional good. (Or was, before everybody else discovered it.) We can all become more sophisticated wine consumers, and we can all become better educated. But we can never all be above the national average, or in the top group, in terms of wine-connoisseurship, education, income, or anything else. We can all improve in absolute terms, but we cannot all simultaneously improve in relative terms. And that is what positional goods are all about – signalising a high position in a ranking, that is, a relation to others.  This leads to a problem. Positional goods are used to signalise something that is by definition scarce, and yet the product which does the signalling is not scarce, or at least not inherently. You can increase the number of goods which signal a position in the Top 20 (of whatever), but the number of places in that Top 20 will only ever be, er, twenty. Increasing the number of signalling products will simply destroy their signalling function. Which is why the early owners of such a signalling product can get really mad at you if you acquire one too. 

We have all seen this phenomenon. Those of my age (1980 vintage) have probably witnessed it for the first time in their early teens, when an increasing number of their schoolmates tried to look like Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain, and being a fan of that band lost its ‘edginess’. ‘Being alternative’ is a positional good. We cannot all be alternative [1]. Literally not. 

Now remember how the ‘early adopters’ responded when Nirvana fandom went mainstream, and their social status was threatened, because there are clear parallels with PC: some of them went on to more extreme styles; others tried to repair the broken signal by giving endless sermons about the differences between ‘those who are in the know’ and ‘the poseurs’.

PC-brigadiers behave exactly like owners of a positional good who panic because wider availability of that good threatens their social status. The PC brigade has been highly successful in creating new social taboos, but their success is their very problem. Moral superiority is a prime example of a positional good, because we cannot all be morally superior to each other. Once you have successfully exorcised a word or an opinion, how do you differentiate yourself from others now? You need new things to be outraged about, new ways of asserting your imagined moral superiority.

You can do that by insisting that the no real progress has been made, that your issue is as real as ever, and just manifests itself in more subtle ways. Many people may imitate your rhetoric, but they do not really mean it, they are faking it, they are poseurs (here’s a nice example). You can also hugely inflate the definition of an existing offense (plenty of nice examples here.) Or you can move on to discover new things to label ‘offensive’, new victim groups, new patterns of dominance and oppression.

If I am right, then Political Correctness is really just a special form of conspicuous consumption, leading to a zero-sum status race. The fact that PC fans are still constantly outraged, despite the fact that PC has never been so pervasive, would then just be a special form of the Easterlin Paradox.

Keep up the good work, spiked team. But bear in mind that you are up against a powerful economic force.

More on how these people think. Using "Profit making" as a pejorative is interesting, since it is the profits and savings of the productive that they feed off of.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-07-17/liberals-make-profit-a-dirty-word

Liberals Make 'Profit' a Dirty Word
61 JUL 17, 2014 12:41 PM EDT
By Stephen L. Carter

It’s been weeks since the Supreme Court handed down its decision in the contraception-mandate case Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, but the pace of urgent fundraising appeals has barely slackened. Several times a day, another pops up in my e-mail inbox. Some are from politicians; some are from advocacy groups; some are from various organs of the Democratic Party.

So far, the number of e-mails accurately describing the decision is, as my physics professors used to say, arbitrarily close to zero. But there’s one underlying fact they all get right: the justices ruled in favor of a “for-profit” employer. This little hyphenated term appears in e-mail after e-mail, suggesting that it’s the for-profitness that creates the perniciousness.

Now, don’t worry. I’m not going to use this column to add to the flood of arguments about whether Hobby Lobby was rightly or wrongly decided. What interests me is why exactly fundraisers believe that including the term “for-profit” will raise the ire of their contributors.

The only reasonable interpretation is that the fundraisers believe -- or believe that their targets believe -- that there is something wrong with profit, that the proprietors of a for-profit firm are less admirable than those who run companies pursuing other goals. True, the various religious universities whose lawsuit challenging Obamacare's contraception mandate will be before the Supreme Court next year certainly have their critics, but they somehow don’t manage to excite the same degree of disdain as a profit-making firm. And although the National Organization for Women gamely included the Little Sisters of the Poor in its list of the “Dirty 100” seeking exemptions from the mandate, all it garnered was for well-earned ridicule.

That’s why the fundraisers have been so careful to remind their targets that Hobby Lobby is a for-profit company. They are hinting that profit is different from other motivations. Less noble. Maybe even wicked.

A small story: A few years back I was at a reception for the opening of a new play. The television in the corner was tuned to one of the news channels, and the anchor was saying that one of the oil companies had just announced record profits. The response among the attendees was ... anger. Somebody said that such profits shouldn’t be allowed. Another voice chimed in to suggest that the company should be punished. Yet another summed up the reaction: “They should be in jail.”

I didn’t do any political polling, but I’m willing to bet that the people at the reception represent the target audience for those fundraising e-mails – people whom the mere suggestion of profit sends into a frenzy.

I don’t really get the profit-is-evil meme. It’s true that Aristotle famously argued that selling goods and services for profit was unnatural. But I’d like to think we’ve reached a point in our ethical evolution when we can all agree that he was wrong. Profit is a signal to financial markets that helps businesses raise capital. Higher profits mean higher tax revenues. Stocks rise, raising the value of individual retirement accounts. Absent monopoly, or other forms of illegal activity, profit would seem to be an unalloyed social good. Not by any means the only or chief social good – but certainly an important one.

Yet the intrepid fundraisers are on to something. The anti-profit instinct not only continues to exist, but actually guides policy. Consider the contretemps in 2010, when the Department of Labor issued new rules requiring that interns should generally be paid for their work. But not all interns. The Fair Labor Standards act by its own terms exempts some unpaid work – for example, volunteers at food banks – but the Labor Department decided to add more. The department, according to its own guidance, “also recognizes an exception for individuals who volunteer their time, freely and without anticipation of compensation for religious, charitable, civic, or humanitarian purposes to non-profit organizations.” Lest the point be unclear, the department adds: “Unpaid internships in the public sector and for non-profit charitable organizations, where the intern volunteers without expectation of compensation, are generally permissible.”

Again, we see the peculiar anti-profit dynamic at work. Intern A and Intern B do identical work, but Intern A does it for a corporation organized for profit, and Intern B does it for a corporation organized as a non-profit. Intern A must be paid, Intern B need not. This is so even when Intern A is volunteering at her godfather’s struggling used car dealership and Intern B is volunteering at his godmother’s foundation with its $20 billion endowment. And then there’s Intern C. Intern C, whose parents give lavishly to politicians, secures a spot at a federal agency with a budget of $100 billion – and also can go unpaid.

Or consider that the Federal Communication Commission’s do-not-call list does not restrict fundraising appeals from non-profits. According to the FCC, the list was established to enable us to enjoy time at home without interruption from pesky unwanted calls. The theory must therefore be either that calls from nonprofits are less annoying, or that nonprofits have a special right to annoy that for-profits lack.

One could certainly make a strong case that that no one should have the right to make a telephone solicitation call without my consent. And one can certainly make a strong case that no firm should be allowed to have interns unless they are paid. But what principle allows distinctions in these rules according to whether a firm does or does not honor what is known as the “nondistribution” rule – that is, that the excesses of revenues over costs must not go to owners or patrons? The answer is obvious: for-profit is bad, not-for-profit is good.

All of which brings us back to Hobby Lobby. Certainly one can make a thoughtful argument against the result. But despite the best efforts of the dissent, and of the many scholars who have weighed in, it’s hard to make a persuasive case that the exemption line should be drawn at profit. Indeed, for the fundraisers to contend that the great wrong of Hobby Lobby turns on the happenstance that the plaintiff is a profit-making entity is to elevate an applause line into an argument. That might be a good way to raise money, but it’s a terrible way to do democracy.

Guaranteeing universal access to contraception is a laudable goal. But if some employers are going to be exempt, it's not clear why the line should be drawn at profit.

To contact the writer of this article: Stephen L. Carter at stephen.carter@yale.edu.

To contact the editor responsible for this article: Tobin Harshaw at tharshaw@bloomberg.net

This could equally go into the education thread, but since it touches on how Progressives think and react to outside influences, it seems to be appropriate for here:

http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=3050#.U_EBvFbGKG_

Our higher education system fails leftist students.

By Michael Munger

August 06, 2014

(Editor’s note: This article is based on the Milton Friedman Day talk given on July 31 in Wilmington, North Carolina, by Duke University professor Michael Munger.)

Too often, American college students face a one-question test, one based not on facts, but on ideology. The test: "Are you a liberal, or conservative?" 

The correct answer is, "I'm a liberal, and proud of it." That concerns me.

However, the nature of my concern may surprise you. I'm not worried much about the students who get it wrong; for the most part, they actually get a pretty good education. 

I'm worried about those who get it right. The young people that our educational system is failing are the students on the left. They aren't being challenged, and don't learn to think. 

Students on the left should sue for breach of contract. We promise to educate them, and then merely pat them on the head for having memorized the "correct" answer!

I was Chair of Political Science at Duke for ten years. At a meeting of department heads, we heard from the chair of one our Departments of Indignation Studies. 

(We have several departments named "Something-or-Other Studies." In most cases, they were constituted for the purpose of focusing indignation about the plight of a group that has suffered real and imagined slights and now needs an academic department to be indignant in.)

At the meeting, the chair of one of those departments said, "I find that I don't really need to spend much time with the liberal students, because they already have it right. I spend most of my time arguing with the conservative students. That's how I spend my time in class."

This woman was teaching conservative students how to think about arguments and evidence; how to make your arguments in a persuasive way. She was educating them.

Her liberal students? They were given that one-question test. They were just certified as already "knowing what they need to know."

It may have come as a shock to the parents of these liberal students that they had learned everything they needed to know…in high school! Having memorized a kind of secular leftist catechism, they were free to wander around the quads of Duke and enjoy themselves.

Once we realize that the problem with our educational system is that we’re short-changing students on the left, denying them an education just because they happen to agree with the professor, then we have a path forward. 

The way to think of this comes from John Stuart Mill, who argued that we should regard our overall approach to education as collision with error. He wrote:

[The] peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.

So, the absence, in many departments, of dissenting voices is harmful. Not so much harmful to those who would agree with the dissenting voice, but those who are denied the chance to collide with error. 

It's as if we asked students to play chess, but only taught them one-move openings. They think that pawn to king four is a better move than pawn to king's rook four, but that’s simply a matter of faith.

Conservative students, by contrast, actually learn to play chess. They study the whole game, not just the first move. They learn countermoves, they consider the advantages of different approaches. They search out empirical arguments, and they read articles and white papers. 

Mill summarizes the difference brilliantly: 

He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. …if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion. (Emphasis added).

What happens when a leftist student confronts arguments he or she disagrees with? After all, they sometimes hear views that contradict their own. The problem is that they have always been rewarded for facile rejoinders, the equivalent of one-move chess games. 

There is a ceremony that goes with this, something one of my colleagues calls "The Women's Studies Nod." When someone makes a ridiculously extreme, empirically unfounded but ideologically correct argument, everyone else must nod vigorously. 

Not just a, "Yes, that's correct," nod, but "Yes, you are correct, you are one of us, we are one spirit and one great collective shared mind" nod.

What if someone withholds the Nod? 

Since the children of the left have never actually had to play a full chess game of argument, they need a response. Their responses are two: "You are an idiot; no one important believes that," or "You are evil; no good person could possibly believe that."

At this point, leftist faculty teach the left students several different moves. Let's consider a few. 

Suppose I claim that rent control is a primary reason why there is such a shortage of affordable housing in New York and San Francisco. Here are the responses I have gotten from students:

1.  Micro-aggression!

2.  Check your privilege! (If they had a mic, they'd drop it, because this is supposed to be so devastating).

3.  You must take money from the Koch Foundation.

4.  Economists don't understand the real world. 

5.  Prices don't measure values. Values are about people. You don't care about people.

Not one of those responses actually responds to, or even tries to understand, the argument that rent controls harm the populations that politicians claim they want to help. 

The point is that if you cared about poor people, actually cared about consequences for poor people, you would oppose rent controls. But that's not how the logic of the left works. Instead of caring about the poor, they want to be seen as caring about the poor. 

Our colleagues on the left could choose to educate their liberal students, but since education requires "collision with error," that is no longer possible. That’s because the faculty on the left were themselves educated by neglect, never confronting counterarguments, in a now self-perpetuating cycle of ignorance and ideological bigotry.

We honor and remember Milton Friedman here today. What might Professor Friedman have thought of the problem that I raise? He would probably have said that the answer is competition and empowering consumers to make their own best choices. 

The problem is that education is a difficult arena for this argument, because students don't know what they don't know, and so it's hard for them to know what they should want to know.

Nonetheless, our best hope lies in competition. A consumer-driven revolution in education will change, and in some ways has already changed, the dominance of the left in the academy.

Education is a consumer-driven business, in spite of what college faculty think. No other industry blames failure on its customers. Not even General Motors claimed that car-buyers were too stupid to appreciate their genius. 

That is what many traditional colleges have been doing: Our students fail, we don't. Students, however, are coming to see through that. Many of them, perhaps especially those on the left, recognize that they are being patronized rather than educated. 

They want more. They want to hear the best arguments from the other side. It's more interesting to play against the first team. A young person's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never shrinks back to its original dimension.

Lots of people on the left actually care about education. We have friends we don't recognize. The issue is not ideology, but commitment to education.

I shudder when I see people on our side who want to solve the problem of political correctness simply by reversing the polarity. Conservatives who don't understand liberal arguments are just as brain dead as the worst graduates being produced by our most craven Departments of Indignation Studies. 

Education requires collision with error. If our side makes arguments respectfully, intellectually, insisting on balance first in our own classrooms, then we can change education in this country.

As might be expected, the Progressive political "elites" have a different set of incentives, which don't align with the greater society:

http://freebeacon.com/culture/the-liberal-gilded-age/

The Liberal Gilded Age
Review: ‘The New Class Conflict,’ by Joel Kotkin

BY: Jay Cost
September 14, 2014 5:00 am

The vision embedded in the Founding documents of the United States was of a free and equal people. At the time of the nation’s founding, this was not so much a fantasy but—with the obvious and inhumane exception of slavery—empirical reality. Class distinctions were extant, but they were not necessarily pronounced. The same was true of inequality in wealth and status. Northeastern financial families like the Schuylers had an edge over the yeoman farmers of Shenandoah Valley, of course, but it was nothing compared to the rigid class divisions in continental Europe.

The same seemed true for the nation for 30 years after World War II. A broad-based economic boom elevated the working class—especially second-wave immigrants such as the Italians and Polish—into the middle class.

But it was not always this way. The industrial revolution wrought fundamental changes in society and politics and created sharp divisions between classes. This was further reinforced by the seemingly endless waves of penniless immigrants from Southern and Eastern Europe.

And, according to Joel Kotkin of Chapman University, so it goes today. He has just published an important book, The New Class Conflict, which is essential to understanding the “new class order” that is undermining the republican ideals of this nation.

Kotkin asserts that a new ruling class has emerged from the upper echelon of society, one that is starting to rival the oligarchs of the late 19th century. In the Gilded Age, it was the railroad barons, oil magnates, and sundry industrial tycoons who had in their pockets machine politicians. Today, our incipient rulers come from the technology sector, which sprung up in California and Seattle in the wake of the computer and Internet revolutions. Joining them is a new “clerisy” of elites from academia, government, think tanks, and media.

The two camps are united around the concept of so-called “gentry liberalism,” which is defined by postwar ideals such as environmentalism, consumer rights, and cultural leftism. This differentiates the new oligarchs from the old ones in important ways. The so-called Robber Barons had an interest in economic growth and, ultimately, a vibrant middle class that could afford to purchase the goods they made. Today’s would-be oligarchs lack such an incentive. As Kotkin notes, one need not be middle class to afford a smartphone. And the new oligarch’s ideological commitment to environmentalism usually means stifling development for the sake of “sustainability.”

Arrayed against the oligarchs is a group Kotkin calls the yeoman class, a phrase that harkens back to the small, independent farmers idealized by the Jeffersonian Republicans of the early 19th century. Today’s yeomanry is not on the farm, but is composed of small businessmen and property holders. Often aligned with them are the old industries—oil, natural gas, coal, and other extracted-resource concerns—that share the yeoman’s priority for broad-based economic growth.

The heart of Kotkin’s work is in chapters two through four, where he describes the nature of each of these classes. His best work is really in the discussion of the tech oligarchy, which he dissects. He peels away its inflated self-conception to reveal a hypocritical, self-interested class of billionaires whose interests run contrary to the revolutionary and egalitarian rhetoric they espouse. His chapters on the “clerisy” and the embattled middle class are also strong, but the material has been covered by others, for instance by Fred Siegel in his Revolt against the Masses. Kotkin’s chapters on the geography and demography of these groups are also extremely interesting.

Kotkin is unabashedly on the side of the yeomanry, and his final chapter outlines a program to bring about the broad-based economic growth he thinks is essential to its survival. It is here, though, that his project begins to lose some steam. There are two interrelated problems.

First, the clerisy and the tech oligarchs constitute a minority of society. For them to have a stranglehold on our democratic politics thus requires an alliance with other groups. The 19th century robber barons developed precisely such an alliance.

As Richard Bensel ably demonstrates in The Political Economy of American Industrialization, Gilded Age political economy was the product of a bargain between industrial capitalists, their workers in Northern factories, Civil War pensioners, and wealthier farmers who benefited from targeted tariffs. The progressives of the early 20th century broke this stranglehold on politics, but only by luring these groups away from their bargain (and also by the fact that the Civil War vets had mostly died out). The Woodrow Wilson administration, for instance, provided banking credits to rural farmers and labor protections to railroad workers.

How does the new oligarchy possess power beyond its numbers? The answer inevitably gets back to the class that is often left out of Kotkin’s analysis: the poor, particularly racial and ethnic minorities. The tech elite and clerisy are lodged within the Democratic party, which depends on poor and minority voters for a large share of its vote, and the logroll that exists between the two sides is crucial. The cap and trade bill passed by the House of Representatives in 2009 provided subsidies to the poor that were greater than the energy price increases they would face as a consequence of the bill’s new regulatory regime. Cap and trade was not merely about environmentalism. It also instituted a new welfare scheme.

Understanding the nature of this alliance seems essential to breaking the hold of the new ruling class. There is nothing natural about a top-bottom coalition, after all, and targeted appeals by the yeomanry could pull away a critical mass of lower income and minority voters. Just as Wilson peeled off upscale farmers with government-sponsored access to credit, why can’t white, middle class entrepreneurs win over poor minorities who wish to build a similar life for themselves?

Second, Kotkin seems to begin from the premise that the yeomanry constitutes an honest majority of the nation. I share this starting point, so it’s fair to ask, how is it that the tech oligarchs and clerisy dominate at the expense of the majority whose interests they do not share?

The Progressives asked a similar question of the industrial magnates a century ago. In their 1912 presidential platform, they offered this answer:

Political parties exist to secure responsible government and to execute the will of the people.

From these great tasks both of the old parties have turned aside. Instead of instruments to promote the general welfare, they have become the tools of corrupt interests, which use them impartially to serve their selfish purposes. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.

In other words, money from the Robber Barons had corrupted the political process. A fair vote would have squashed their interests, but they made sure a fair vote never was really taken.

The Progressives struck back through structural innovationsto our government. The Tillman Act banned corporate political giving. The 16th Amendment legalized the income tax and thus opened another source of revenue aside from the corrupted tariff regime. The 17th Amendment provided for the direct election of senators, and crippled the machines run by the likes of Nelson Aldrich of Rhode Island and Matt Quay of Pennsylvania.

A new reform program is essential to the plan that Kotkin sets forth in his final chapter. Without foreclosing the corrupt pathways that the wealthy and well-connected use to circumvent the public, you guarantee that any public-spirited agenda will be captured and distorted for private gain. Look no further than the Gilded Age tariff. A perversion of Henry Clay’s original “American Society,” which sought to balance the interests of all factions, reformers tried for thirty years to reform it. They failed again and again as the bosses who ran the Senate usually turned it into an excuse to raise rates.

We see something like this with the Senate’s most recent attempt to reform immigration. All sides agree that immigration needs reform, but after “the Interests” (to borrow a phrase from Gilded Age muckraker David Graham Phillips) got their hands on the program, it was perverted into favoring well-connected industries while harming the lower and working classes, which would see its wages reduced accordingly.

There is simply no way to shift the nation’s political economy back to the yeomanry without reforming the structures of government. After all, the yeomanry is a majority, yet it cannot get its way. In a government premised on the republican principle of majority rule, that can only mean that the structures of the government itself have become dysfunctional. Fixing them must precede any policy innovations.

While Kotkin might not follow through precisely on how his various classes interact, his book is nevertheless illuminating. The chapter on the tech class is worth the purchase price alone. Kotkin is to be commended for seeing past the daily bric-à-brac of American politics to perceive the newly emerging class divisions. More work must be done on what to do about these issues, but this book is an enormously important first step.

Similar travesties occur here as well (the policies of various Canadian newspapers and media outlets to prevent the CPC from showing ads, while ghostwriting and promoting the Young Dauphin's biography is perhaps the most recent and obvious)

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/10/mayday-explains-when-we-say-money-we-mean-conservative-money.php

MAYDAY EXPLAINS: WHEN WE SAY “MONEY,” WE MEAN CONSERVATIVE MONEY!

Two left-wing groups, MoveOn and Mayday.US, sponsored a video contest to highlight the “problem” of money in politics. They published the videos that were submitted on a web site, and encouraged viewers to vote for the best one. Sadly, their effort was nowhere near as successful as the Power Line Prize competition of a couple of years ago. They got one really good entrant, produced by American Commitment, which focused on the epic hypocrisy of Tom Steyer, the number one funder of the 2014 election cycle. Here it is, “America’s Biggest Hypocrite”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9H0o2Sr-8

We and others urged our readers to vote for the Steyer video, and many did: it garnered more than 20 times as many votes as the second-place vote-getter. So it won the competition, right? No! The lefty panel of judges awarded the prize to a lame liberal production. We noted the seeming injustice here. A disappointed Phil Kerpen, head of American Commitment–well, he probably wasn’t all that disappointed–said:

The leaders of “pro-democracy” groups chose a video that got 99 votes over a video that got 7,590 votes — because the latter was about liberal Tom Steyer and the former was against fossil fuels. It speaks for itself.

Still, many wondered whether democracy had been served. Reader John Simutis voted for “America’s Biggest Hypocrite.” To do so, he had to submit his email address. So he got this email from Mayday, announcing the contest’s winners:

Friend —

Thanks for voting in the #MAYDAYin30 video contest! Before we tell you who the winners are (unless you scroll down before reading this!) we wanted to tell you a bit about MAYDAY.US.

We’re a people-powered movement to reduce the corrupting influence of big money on politics. More than 50,000 of us came together to crowd-fund nearly $11M, making us the SuperPAC to end all SuperPACs – we embrace the irony! …

And now to the main announcement. After nearly 100 video submissions and 11,000 votes cast, we are so excited to announce the winners of the #MAYDAYin30 video contest! Drum roll please…

Winner, Category #1: General money in politics ad
“This is your country”

Winner, Category #2: Candidate specific ad
“William the K St. Lobbyist vs. Iowa”

Both of these ads were insightful and creative, and they emphasized the MAYDAY message of getting big money out of politics. We feel so grateful to have a community that puts everything they have into supporting our cause. Your vote was key in bringing the best videos forward, videos that our celebrity judges really enjoyed watching. …

- The MAYDAY Team

John didn’t see how this explained the upset victory by a liberal ad, so he emailed Mayday:

And, you didn’t choose the video that actually received the most votes – 10 times the votes of your selection.

How very … “people-powered.”

Heh. That provoked an explanation of sorts from Mayday:

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts. Here’s why the Steyer video did not win the contest overall:

In the contest rules, we stated that the video had to fit into one of two categories:

Category 1: Ads that address the general issue of money in politics.
Category 2: Ads about a MAYDAY race (either for a MAYDAY candidate or against a MAYDAY candidate’s opponent).

The Steyer video received the most votes and was evaluated by the judges in Category 1 as ads for Category 2 had to be in support of a specific MAYDAY candidate. The judge panel reviewed it along with the other winning entrants, but did not consider it the best entry.

From the beginning, we announced that we would take the top vote earners in each category and pass them on to our judges. Our judges would then use their expertise to select a winner. This is exactly what happened.

We continue to feature the video on our website for being the top vote earner. MAYDAY.US has treated this video respectfully and fairly. We stand by the integrity of the #Maydayin30 Contest.

-rachel

rachel perkins
MAYDAY.US

I added the emphasis to highlight the key language. The judges “did not consider [the American Commitment video] the best entry,” based on their “expertise.” But why wasn’t it the best entry? Certainly not because of its production values, which were obviously superior. Rather, because of its content: it focused on Tom Steyer, who contributed more money to the current electoral cycle than anyone else. So why didn’t it satisfy the contest’s alleged purpose of opposing “the corrupting influence of big money on politics”? Obviously, because Steyer is a liberal.

This MoveOn/Mayday video contest, lame though it was, was revealing. When liberals say they want to get money out of politics, they aren’t serious. What they mean is, they want to get conservative money out of politics.

Why is that? The answer is simple: liberals command the culture. They control virtually all universities, virtually all public schools, virtually all newspapers, virtually all of Hollywood and the entertainment industry, almost the entire apparatus of the news. That control, added to the corruption of crony government, gives liberals access to enormous amounts of money, so that in almost every contested election, the liberal candidate has more money than the conservative candidate.

And yet…liberals have a problem. Their arguments are terrible, and their theories are contradicted at nearly every turn by the facts. Which means that they can’t withstand criticism. They can’t take competition; they need a monopoly. Which, in turn, means that they must prevent voters from hearing conservative ideas and arguments. They can do that in the schools and in the culture, and they don’t have to worry about newspapers or broadcast television. But there is a loophole of sorts: during election seasons, conservatives can buy time on television and on the radio to broadcast messages that liberals are otherwise able to blockade. This is intolerable! Because when people hear conservative ideas, unfiltered by the liberal press, they tend to find them persuasive.

So “money in politics” must be denounced. Most money in politics is liberal, from labor unions, crony billionaires like Tom Steyer, and so on. But that isn’t the money the Democrats mean: they want to silence conservative voices, so their monopoly can be preserved and threats to their rule–democracy, one might say–can be eliminated. The MoveOn/Mayday contest was a microcosm of one of the central political conflicts of our time.

Thucydides said:
Similar travesties occur here as well (the policies of various Canadian newspapers and media outlets to prevent the CPC from showing ads, while ghostwriting and promoting the Young Dauphin's biography is perhaps the most recent and obvious)

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/10/mayday-explains-when-we-say-money-we-mean-conservative-money.php

Actually I think the reverse is true. We, here in Canada, like the UK, have a robust conservative media, something that is missing in the USA. The quality press in Canada, as in the USA, tends to be liberalish on social issues, but, in Canada, unlike the USA, it is, more generally - even the Toronto Star - conservative on economic issues.

The other difference between the two countries is that the US blogosphere is much more 'active' and, in many cases, verges on the extreme. We have equally 'extreme' bloggers and tweeters here in Canada but, for whatever reason, it appears to me to be more entrenched and advanced, if that's the right word, in America.

I note, just for example, that the issue of Jonathan Kay ghosting Justin Trudeau's memoire was aired almost immediately by Sun News here in Canada and, also quickly, explained by Mr Kay. But I thought the conservative media, here, was a bit amateurish: it attacked Mr Kay for doing what many journalists do - moonlighting - but didn't ask M. Trudeau why, if he's so smart and sincere, he needed a ghost writer.

While watching with some trepidation and disbelief at the antics of the "Social Justice Warriors" in the United States (the UVa "Gang rape story" hoax and the various antipolice e "narratives" being strung up in Ferguson and New York City), it occurred to me there should be some powerful arguments that refute the idea of "Social Justice" as opposed to "Justice" (which in this context is a totally different concept, requiring evidence, due process and Rule of Law to function).

As it turns out F.A. Hayek thought long and hard on this, and even wrote a book on the subject; Law, Legislation and Liberty (Volume 2)
This quote sums up the argument rather nicely, and I offer it in case anyone ever has an encounter with a "social justice warrior"

"n...a system in which each is allowed to use his knowledge for his own purposes the concept of `social justice' is necessarily empty and meaningless, because in it nobody's will can determine the relative incomes of the different people, or prevent that they be partly dependent on accident. `Social justice' can be given a meaning only in a directed or `command' economy (such as an army) in which the individuals are ordered what to do; and any particular conception of `social justice' could be realized only in such a centrally directed system. It presupposes that people are guided by specific directions and not by rules of just individual conduct. Indeed, no system of rules of just individual conduct, and therefore no free action of the individuals, could produce results satisfying any principle of distributive justice...In a free society in which the position of the different individuals and groups is not the result of anybody's design--or could, within such a society, be altered in accordance with a generally applicable principle--the differences in reward simply cannot meaningfully be described as just or unjust."

This Dr. Rochon, who wrote his article, must be the one of those professors who puts up his university students to hold up a sign "STOP HARPER!" at university commencement/convocation ceremonies.  ::)

Yet another ivory-tower academic with his self-delusions? It seems his branding of Canada as a small "l" liberal country is simply just his opinion, if the last election isn't an indicator of how many people began to identify as small "c" conservatives/"red" Tories or are centre-right. (Or at least voted that way) If the 65% of Canadians do oppose Harper as he claims, it doesn't show at the ballot box.

CBC

Is Canada becoming a right-wing country?

Despite growing concern, Canada remains a small-l liberal country, says professor of economics

No matter where I travel abroad to lecture these days, the first question economists ask me is: What happened to Canada?

The perception is that Canada made a sharp ideological turn right and is no longer a shining example of a compassionate country.

I can understand why this perception exists. After all, we have had a conservative ideologue (though not a philosopher king) as prime minister for the past eight years who has implemented a number of conservative policies in areas like the environment, fiscal policy and law and justice (by adopting tough-on-crime legislation in an era of declining crime rates).

Even Republicans in the U.S., who for decades have painted Canada as an evil socialist country, now embrace this country’s conservative (counter) revolution.

Like many perceptions, this is not the reality. While back in 2008 Harper vowed “to make conservatism the natural governing philosophy of the country,” Canadians still refuse to buy into his dogma.

While it is undoubtedly true that federal policies have indeed become more right-wing, we must differentiate between the party in power and the policies it implements on the one hand, and the values shared by Canadians on the other.

So where do Canadians stand?

On economic issues, Canadians send mixed signals.

I will concede Canadians overwhelmingly agree fiscal deficits are bad. This, I believe, has been the greatest victory of the right and its leaders, starting with former Conservative cabinet ministers Michael Wilson and Don Mazankowski, and former Liberal prime minister Paul Martin. They have convinced Canadians of the myth that government finances are analogous to household finances. The left has never been able to respond to this claim in a way that captured the imagination of Canadians.

'A full 56 per cent of Canadians polled felt there was an important role for the government to play in redistributing wealth.'

- Louis-Philippe Rochon, associate professor of economics, Laurentian University

But it would be a mistake to conclude Canadians are fiscally conservative. For instance, in an Angus Reid public opinion poll from almost three years ago, a full 56 per cent of Canadians felt there was an important role for the government to play in redistributing wealth.

What is even more important is that Canadians would accept raising taxes in order to reduce inequality.

Health and the environment

Regarding our national health-care system, 81 per cent of Canadians in a 2012 study by Environics listed it as one of the most important symbols of Canadian identity, knowing full well the cost of such a system.

Canadians also value our social service institutions, along with our (once) generous social safety net. Harper has been tinkering with these, but has stopped short of taking them on.

On environmental issues, Canadians clearly reject the government’s approach, and 57 per cent believe climate change is a man-made catastrophe that requires strong government intervention, and would be willing to pay extra taxes to better the environment.

Progressive on pot, LGBT and women’s rights

And with respect to social issues, if anything, Canada is becoming more progressive.

Take for instance the progress made by gay and lesbian groups over the last decade, including on same-sex marriage. We are still firmly in favour of a woman’s right to choose, still opposed to capital punishment, and increasingly in favour of death with dignity, not to mention the legalization of pot.

So on both economic and social issues, the majority of Canadians disagree with the direction the government is taking this country. This must surely infuriate Harper, who just cannot seem to make any headway on these issues. If anything, he orders his members to remain silent knowing full well how the population can turn with startling rapidity when these issues are brought up.

This suggests that while Conservative governments may succeed for a while to govern and veer the country to the right, the result is less impressive than imagined. Moreover, these policies can be reversed, as the opposition parties have hinted at doing. Whether they will do so once in office is another question.

Majority opposed to Harper’s vision

In the end, despite close to a decade of Conservative iron-fist governance, Harper may have adopted a number of conservative policies, but Canadians are simply not buying it.  Close to 65 per cent of Canadians still oppose this government and its vision.

This suggests that at our very core, we remain a progressive and small-l liberal country, and no matter what Harper does, he will not succeed in convincing a majority of Canadians of his vision for Canada. He has failed miserably at imposing conservatism as the “natural governing philosophy” of Canada. And that’s a good thing.

Like John Maynard Keynes once opined, conservatives “offer me neither food nor drink — intellectual nor spiritual consolation ... [Conservatism] leads nowhere; it satisfies no ideal; it conforms to no intellectual standard, it is not safe, or calculated to preserve from the spoilers that degree of civilization which we have already attained.”

Louis-Philippe Rochon is associate professor of economics at Laurentian University and co-editor with the Review of Keynesian Economics.

Like John Maynard Keynes once opined, conservatives “offer me neither food nor drink — intellectual nor spiritual consolation ... [Conservatism] leads nowhere; it satisfies no ideal; it conforms to no intellectual standard, it is not safe, or calculated to preserve from the spoilers that degree of civilization which we have already attained.”

Interesting Keynes quote.  It rather plays to what Thucydides has been arguing for a while.

The Left need something to follow. They crave to be led somewhere. They look for their daily bread to be provided.... Manna from heaven.

Prof Louis-Philippe Rochon is not wholly wrong:

1. Prime Minister Harper has introduced a number of conservative economic policies - that's true;

2. Canadians still hold essential liberal economic views - that's true, too; but, and here's where Prof Rochon goes off the rails

3. Canadians don't actually oppose Prime Minister Harper's policies. They may believe that there are better economic choices
        but they also understand that Prime Minister Harper is making the least bad choices.

Canadians may wish for a liberal (read NDP) economy but they will not vote for it because they know the price and they don't want to pay it ... "If wishes was 'orses then poor men would ride."

A long article in "The American Interest" about the idea of "nudging". The degradation of language is quite self evident here: "Libertarian paternalism " is an oxymoron (and this is in no way libertarian or even in the realm of classical liberalism). Far better to resurrect H.G.Wells formulation of "Liberal Fascism" and tell it like it is. The article is rather long, but I am adding an excerpt:

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2014/12/10/nudge-or-shove/

A government of nudges is opposed to any constitutional principles governing where it may and may not act, because it views all such questions as empirical in nature and thus not subject to being cabined before the fact. It acts, for the most part, in relatively small ways, but over a huge, sprawling canvas. It prefers to be organized technocratically and wants to create islands of expert governance insulated as much as possible from popular control or enthusiasm. It prefers to leave most decisions at least nominally in private hands, but then layers regulation and subsidy on top to push private actors to produce publicly approved patterns of outcomes. So it adds up to a form of micro-stealth paternalism with the potential to produce macro-social consequences.

One can imagine another kind of liberalism. This vision would limit government fairly rigorously, with a very sharp distinction between what government should and should not concern itself with. So while Sunstein and his fellow behavioral economists have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to get individuals to save more effectively in private retirement accounts, a liberalism of shoves would increase government’s role in retirement by simply increasing the amount of income replaced by Social Security—by taxing and spending—while eliminating our current regime of regulating and subsidizing IRAs and 401(k)s. Instead of trying to figure out how to get people to more effectively put away money for their children’s college education, it would simply increase Pell Grants. In lieu of using informational campaigns and regulation to reduce global warming, it would impose significant carbon taxes.

Overall, a liberalism of shoves seeks to attain public ends through a transparent application of governmental power. It foreswears Sunstein’s effort to attain liberalism’s ends through fairly low-profile acts of micro-governance in the name of uncontroversial ends, and instead recognizes that most social problems are the result of power imbalances that can only be rectified through shifts in social structure. Where government acts in the name of the liberalism of shoves, it does so by more or less occupying the field, and is legitimated by having secured a clear political mandate to do so. But beyond big interventions with a few big structures, it seeks to bind its own hands against the temptation to act upon everything. A shoving liberalism looks for true torque points; it abjures a capillary-level form of pervasive, statistically based manipulation.

The other objection is the presumption that if individuals make "poor" decisions then the State must make "better" decisions for them. Hayek demolished the argument many years ago, this is simply a variation of the Local Knowledge Problem.

Now that the oil and commodity bubbles have popped, Venezuela and Argentina are standing around with no clothes (again). Sadly, it seems that no matter how many times this happens the lessons are never absorbed and another generation will be condemned to learn the hard way:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-02/the-delusions-of-venezuela-and-argentina

The Delusions of Venezuela and Argentina
680 MAR 2, 2015 9:00 AM EST
By Megan McArdle

For about a decade, Venezuela under Hugo Chavez and, to a lesser extent, Argentina under the Kirchners were popular models for leftists seeking an alternative to the neoliberal consensus. The Chavez program of dramatically expanding social spending and the Kirchner refusal to kowtow to foreign investors finally offered alternatives you could point to when the neoliberals started chattering about market confidence and budget balances.

Those neoliberals frequently pointed out the problems with those policies. Chavez and his successor, Nicolas Maduro, diverted oil-investment funds into social spending, causing Venezuela's oil production to fall; the only thing propping up the economy was the rapidly rising price of oil. Argentina cut itself off from world capital markets, and over the years it had to resort to increasingly desperate fiscal strategies; the only thing propping up its economy was a big commodities boom, driven by the same Chinese demand that was causing oil prices to soar. But these arguments failed to convince those who were gaga for Chavismo; all that free-market cant was just theory, and the Chavez acolytes could point to real, tangible advances in reducing poverty and boosting economic growth.

All that ended a few years ago, of course. Both countries are in recession and suffering import shortages, including tampons in Argentina and condoms in Venezuela. Latin America's social progress has stopped, thanks partly to a sharp uptick in Venezuelan poverty. The question of whether government redistribution or a commodities boom was responsible for Venezuela’s advances against poverty now seems to be resolved in favor of the commodities boom. If oil prices don't recover, Venezuela's government is headed for fiscal crisis very soon.

That's not to say that government transfers played no role in addressing poverty. But such transfers do not cause economic growth, at least not in a short enough time frame to cover their costs. And if you want to make people at the bottom better off, there is simply no substitute for economic growth. Policies that undercut the sources of that growth -- such as investment capital or oil production -- will ultimately make the people you are trying to help worse off. And while it's bad enough to be losing ground in the war on poverty, it's even worse that Venezuela has tried to shore up its regime against the resulting popular discontent with such anti-democratic measures as curtailing freedom of the press.

There's a good lesson here for people on both sides of the policy aisle -- I mean, beyond "don't eat your seed corn." That lesson is "never forget that you are not in control of everything." The global economy is far bigger and more powerful than the policy levers you have at your control -- which means that broader trends can fool you into thinking that what you've done must be "working." Unfortunately, when things start moving in the other direction, you're apt to return to reality with a pretty harsh bump.

Progressiveism in history: Just as bad as you thought

Why is America Ignoring the Centennial of First World War?
Posted By Ed Driscoll On March 13, 2015 @ 1:18 pm In Liberal Fascism,The Memory Hole,War And Anti-War | 17 Comments

David Frum wonders why World War I doesn’t receive much play in the American overculture:

First, Americans prefer narratives in which they play a central heroic role. The Dwight Eisenhower of the First World War was French, Marshal Ferdinand Foch. Those Americans who cared most intensely about the war found themselves enlisting under other people’s banners. John Singer Sargent painted his great war canvases for Britain’s Imperial War Museum. Edith Wharton volunteered for French relief organizations. Raymond Chandler joined the Canadian army. Ernest Hemingway drove Red Cross ambulances on the Italian front. Henry James forswore his U.S. citizenship and naturalized as British. John Dos Passos, another Red Cross volunteer, later savagely satirized the war as “Mr. Wilson’s war”—somebody else’s war, not his. So it has remained. When the great American literary critic Paul Fussell wrote his marvelous “The Great War and Modern Memory,” he focused on English writers. Their American counterparts may have had a lot to say, but somehow Fussell decided it was not an American thing.

Second, while Americans did win victories in 1918, on the whole, the performance of U.S. forces in the war was not very impressive. Americans did not lack for courage: U.S. forces showed a fighting spirit that had long before been bled out of their allies and adversaries. But they did lack experienced officers, adequate equipment, built-out logistical systems, and almost everything else necessary to fight an industrial war effectively. Their commanders resented and rejected advice from their bloodied French and British counterparts. Lacking sufficient artillery, tanks, and aircraft, they denied that those things were necessary. They drove Americans against German trenches and bunkers in 1915-style human lines, suffering monstrous 1915 casualties for pitiful 1915 gains in ground. There were few First World War equivalents of D-Day or Midway out of which legends could be made.

Third, the war does not obviously or immediately relate to contemporary controversies. We can’t talk about race without talking about the Civil War. Any discussion of America’s role in the world will soon invoke World War II and Vietnam. The Revolution will forever transfix the Republic it created. The First World War, however, now excites interest mainly from isolationist libertarians looking for a war it’s less awkward to oppose than World War II. The war’s most tragic lessons about the need for United States leadership to secure world peace have been so thoroughly internalized by the American political elite that it has forgotten where and how it learned them.

It’s that last item that’s key — Wilson’s hardline stance against free speech was so virulent, it caused his fellow “Progressives” to quickly rebrand themselves, even before he had left office, as “liberals.” He’s the direct predecessor to much of Mr. Obama’s anti-free speech, anti-journalistic, anti-American, pro-racialist worldview.

No wonder Wilson been airbrushed out of the left’s collective memories — with much American domestic history during World War I along with it.

Article printed from Ed Driscoll: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2015/03/13/wwi-centennial/

and some of the links embedded in the article:

http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2014/01/19/the-l-word/
http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2013/05/26/from-the-law-firm-of-durbin-wilson-and-obama/
http://reason.com/archives/2002/12/18/dixiecrats-triumphant

and:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2008/0205/p09s01-coop.html

You want a more 'progressive' America? Careful what you wish for.
Voters should remember what happened under Woodrow Wilson.
By Jonah Goldberg  FEBRUARY 5, 2008

WASHINGTON — I'm thinking of an American president who demonized ethnic groups as enemies of the state, censored the press, imprisoned dissidents, bullied political opponents, spewed propaganda, often expressed contempt for the Constitution, approved warrantless searches and eavesdropping, and pursued his policies with a blind, religious certainty.

Oh, and I'm not thinking of George W. Bush, but another "W" – actually "WW": Woodrow Wilson, the Democrat who served from 1913 to 1921.

President Wilson is mostly remembered today as the first modern liberal president, the first (and only) POTUS with a PhD, and the only political scientist to occupy the Oval Office. He was the champion of "self determination" and the author of the idealistic but doomed "Fourteen Points" – his vision of peace for Europe and his hope for a League of Nations. But the nature of his presidency has largely been forgotten.

That's a shame, because Wilson's two terms in office provide the clearest historical window into the soul of progressivism. Wilson's racism, his ideological rigidity, and his antipathy toward the Constitution were all products of the progressive worldview. And since "progressivism" is suddenly in vogue – today's leading Democrats proudly wear the label – it's worth actually reviewing what progressivism was and what actually happened under the last full-throated progressive president.

You want a more 'progressive' America? Careful what you wish for.

The record should give sober pause to anyone who's mesmerized by the progressive promise.

Wilson, like the bulk of progressive intellectuals in fin-de-siècle America, was deeply influenced by three strands of thought: philosophical Pragmatism, Hegelianism, and Darwinism. This heady intellectual cocktail produced a drunken arrogance and the conviction that the old rules no longer applied.

The classical liberalism of the Founders – free markets, individualism, property rights, etc. – had been eclipsed by a new "experimental" age. Horace Kallen, a protégé of Pragmatism exponent William James, denounced fixed philosophical dogmas as mere rationalizations of the status quo. Sounding much like today's critical theorists, Mr. Kallen lamented that "Men have invented philosophy precisely because they find change, chance, and process too much for them, and desire infallible security and certainty."

The old conception of absolute truths and immutable laws had been replaced by a "Darwinian" vision of organic change.

Hence Wilson argued that the old "Newtonian" vision – fixed rules enshrined in the Constitution and laws – had to give way to the "Darwinian" view of "living constitutions" and the like.

"Government," Wilson wrote approvingly in his magnum opus, "The State," "does now whatever experience permits or the times demand." "No doubt," he wrote elsewhere, taking dead aim at the Declaration of Independence, "a lot of nonsense has been talked about the inalienable rights of the individual, and a great deal that was mere vague sentiment and pleasing speculation has been put forward as fundamental principle."

In his 1890 essay, "Leaders of Men," Wilson explained that a "true leader" uses the masses like "tools." He must inflame their passions with little heed for the facts. "Men are as clay in the hands of the consummate leader."

Wilson once told a black delegation, that "segregation is not a humiliation but a benefit, and ought to be so regarded by you gentlemen." But his racism wasn't just a product of his Southern roots; it was often of a piece with the reigning progressive obsession with eugenics, the pseudoscience that strove to perfect society through better breeding.

Again, Wilson was merely one voice in the progressive chorus of the age. "[W]e must demand that the individual shall be willing to lose the sense of personal achievement, and shall be content to realize his activity only in connection to the activity of the many," declared the progressive social activist Jane Addams.

"New forms of association must be created," explained Walter Rauschenbusch, a leading progressive theologian of the Social Gospel movement, in 1896. "Our disorganized competitive life must pass into an organic cooperative life." Elsewhere, Rauschenbusch put it more simply: "Individualism means tyranny."

Not surprisingly, such intellectual kindling was easy to ignite when World War I broke out. The philosopher John Dewey, New Republic founder Herbert Croly, and countless other progressive intellectuals welcomed what Mr. Dewey dubbed "the social possibilities of war." The war provided an opportunity to force Americans to, as journalist Frederick Lewis Allen put it, "lay by our good-natured individualism and march in step." Or as another progressive put it, "Laissez faire is dead. Long live social control."

With the intellectuals on their side, Wilson recruited journalist George Creel to become a propaganda minister as head of the newly formed Committee on Public Information (CPI).

Mr. Creel declared that it was his mission to inflame the American public into "one white-hot mass" under the banner of "100 percent Americanism." Fear was a vital tool, he argued, "an important element to be bred in the civilian population."

The CPI printed millions of posters, buttons, pamphlets, that did just that. A typical poster for Liberty Bonds cautioned, "I am Public Opinion. All men fear me!... f you have the money to buy and do not buy, I will make this No Man's Land for you!" One of Creel's greatest ideas – an instance of "viral marketing" before its time – was the creation of an army of about 75,000 "Four Minute Men." Each was equipped and trained by the CPI to deliver a four-minute speech at town meetings, in restaurants, in theaters – anyplace they could get an audience – to spread the word that the "very future of democracy" was at stake. In 1917-18 alone, some 7,555,190 speeches were delivered in 5,200 communities. These speeches celebrated Wilson as a larger-than-life leader and the Germans as less-than-human Huns.

Meanwhile, the CPI released a string of propaganda films with such titles as "The Kaiser," "The Beast of Berlin," and "The Prussian Cur." Remember when French fries became "freedom fries" in the run-up to the Iraq war? Thanks in part to the CPI, sauerkraut become "victory cabbage."

Under the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918, Wilson's administration shut down newspapers and magazines at an astounding pace. Indeed, any criticism of the government, even in your own home, could earn you a prison sentence. One man was brought to trial for explaining in his own home why he didn't want to buy Liberty Bonds.

The Wilson administration sanctioned what could be called an American fascisti, the American Protective League. The APL – a quarter million strong at its height, with offices in 600 cities – carried government-issued badges while beating up dissidents and protesters and conducting warrantless searches and interrogations. Even after the war, Wilson refused to release the last of America's political prisoners, leaving it to subsequent Republican administrations to free the anti-war Socialist Eugene V. Debs and others.

Now, obviously, none of the current crop of self-described progressives are eager to replay this dark chapter. But we make a mistake when we assume that we can cherry pick only the good parts of our past to re-create.

Today's progressives still share many of the core assumptions of the progressives of yore. It may be gauche to talk about patriotism too much in liberal circles, but what is Barack Obama's obsession with unity other than patriotism by another name? Indeed, he champions unity for its own sake, as a good in and of itself. But unity can be quite amoral. Mobs and gangs are dangerous because of their unblinking unity.

Hillary Clinton, meanwhile, often insists that we must move "beyond" ideology, labels, partisanship, etc. The sentiment is a direct echo of the Pragmatists who felt that dogma needed to be jettisoned to give social planners a free hand. Of course, then as now, the "beyond ideology" refrain is itself an ideological position favoring whatever state intervention social planners prefer.

In Senator Clinton's case, the most vital intervention is intruding on the family. Mrs. Clinton proudly follows the "child saver" tradition of Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Jane Addams. In 1996, she proclaimed "as adults we have to start thinking and believing that there isn't really any such thing as someone else's child." In her book, "It Takes A Village," she insists that children are born in crisis, requiring progressive government intervention from infancy on. She seems to subscribe to Wilson's view, when president of Princeton, that the chief job of an educator is to make children as unlike their parents as possible.

In a Democratic debate, Clinton famously rejected the word "liberal" in favor of "progressive." Shouldn't we at least ask what that means? If Mike Huckabee proclaimed that he prefers the label "confederate" over "conservative," pundits would rightly denounce his association with such a tainted legacy. But when it comes to progressivism, there's no such obligation to account for your ideological heritage. It seems progressivism is never wrong.

For the low information voter, this might come as a surprise, but people are demanding to be paid for their parts in stirring the pot in Ferguson. It is wrong to think that such things don't happen in Canada, many of the US "progressive" foundations like the Tides foundation routinely fund "progressive" causes in Canada as well, and though means which in other circumstances would be thought of as money laundering, which should make you wonder who and what else is being funded here? "Occupy" and "Idle no more" were certainly professionally organized.

https://ricochet.com/staging-riots/

Staging Riots

Paul A. Rahe 
May 20, 2015 at 8:50 am ( 20 hours ago ) 

Journalism is pretty much dead in the United States. Most of the newspapers that used to do the basic work of looking into things have folded, and most of those that remain are, for the most part, in the disinformation business. Do you remember the coverage of the Duke Lacrosse Case? Of the George Zimmerman – Trayvon Martin case? Of the events in Ferguson? Of the Eric Garner case in New York City? And of the recent events in Baltimore?

The media has a narrative that they desperately want to peddle – which is that you and I live in a viciously racist society. That is what our budding journalists were taught in college, and they are always on the lookout for an anecdote to illustrate that meme. Before carefully examining the facts in any given case, they will leap to the predetermined conclusion.

They will not print the news that does not fit. We are fed falsehoods about racist attacks by police on innocent young African-Americans. Next to nothing is said about the racist murder of whites by not-so-innocent young African-Americans (which is far more common). And even less is said about the murder of African-Americans by other African-Americans (which is more common yet).

In similar fashion, we are fed nonsense about a nonexistent rape crisis on our campuses, and nothing at all is said about the prevalence of rape within African-American neighborhoods.

I do not mean to say that there are no racist white cops in the United States. I do mean to say that it is not a grave national problem that needs to be addressed. I do not mean to say that there are no rapes on campus. I do mean to suggest that they are rare.

A lot could be said about the prevalence of alcohol-fueled casual sex on our campuses. But that would require acknowledging that young women (as well as young men) are conducting their lives irresponsibly in a manner apt to leave many of them (the former in particular) shaken, bruised, and bitter. It would also require acknowledging that these college students are putting themselves in harm’s way with full approval and encouragement from college administrations that think it a boon to teach incoming freshmen “safe” sex.

I mention the sad state of American journalism because yesterday we got a fleeting glimpse of the tip of what I believe is a very large iceberg; and, if there were any investigative journalists left, they could really go to town.

Yesterday, Katie Pavlich, Debra Heine, and Ed Driscoll drew our attention to a demonstration, unmentioned in the mainstream media, that took place in St. Louis and eventuated in the occupation of the offices of an outfit called MORE – Missourians for Organizing Reform and Empowerment. MORE is an offshoot of ACORN, and it is funded in part by George Soros’ omnipresent Open Society Institute (which has spent something like $5 billion supporting such outfits in recent years).

What makes this particular demonstration newsworthy is the fact that the demonstrators were demanding that they be paid, as promised, for the work they did in organizing demonstrations in Ferguson last summer. Here is part of what Debra Heine reports:

According to the January tax filings of his nonprofit Open Society Foundations, Mr. Soros gave at least $33 million in one year to support already-established groups to organize on-the-ground activists in Ferguson. Two of those organizations, MORE (Missourians Organizing For Reform and Empowerment) and OBS (Organization for Black Struggle) have been financing #BlackLivesMatter protests in Ferguson and elsewhere. That is – those organizations actually pay people to show up at venues to do their clapping, chanting, and sign waving routines.

Think a bit about this. In recent years – since Barack Obama took office – we have witnessed a great deal of thuggish conduct. Do you remember Occupy Wall Street? The demonstrations that the community-relations division of the Department of Justice helped organize against George Zimmerman in Florida? The riots in Ferguson, Missouri? The disruptive demonstrations in the Supreme Court building regarding Citizens United as the court began its last session? Those that recently interrupted Senate hearings? The demonstrations in New York and Boston that took place in the wake of Eric Garner’s death? And the recent riots in Baltimore?

The press has treated all of these as a series of spontaneous eruptions occasioned by understandable outrage on the part of the demonstrators. What we learned yesterday shows that much of what happened in Ferguson was theater. We know a little something about what the Department of Justice did vis-à-vis George Zimmerman. I would be willing to hazard the guess that virtually every demonstration and riot along these lines that we have witnessed in recent years was, at least in part, bought and paid for. And I would not be surprised to learn that the “reporters” dispatched to these various venues to cover these demonstrations and riots by Pravda-on-the-Hudson, Pravda-on-the-Potomac, and Pravda-on-Television in its various, more-or-less indistinguishable forms know a great deal more about the manner in which all of this was staged than they have told us.

If truth be told, I would not be surprised to learn that all of this – including the news coverage – was in a loose manner coordinated by the outfit now called Organizing for America. Do you remember Journolist? Someone in a systematic fashion should follow George Soros’ money.

Political theater and coordinated disinformation are the order of the day.

Back