• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crazy find in friends back yard! 40MM's and tons of goodies!

• Thread starter Thread starter toysareforboys
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toysareforboys

The folks over on MilitaryPhotos.net told me to ask this here. Mostly to find out information on what the heck an XM199 40MM round is... My friends place is in Pickering, Ont.

Well, it's my friends birthday today. He got quite a bit of stuff, including an INSANE metal detector (full computer screen on it, lots of features, you can set detection depth, etc.), so we decided to pull it out and give it a try.
We decided to do his back yard. We followed the directions on how to do a grid sweep of the lawn.
On our third pass the metal detector went crazy. We looked at the screen and it detected "metal rebar", and upon scanning the area, it was in a cross hatch pattern.
Looking at the ground, it was just the lawn. It was weird that there would be concrete rebar under there. It told us the depth was 24" to the rebar.
Out come the shovles and after about 10 mins we hit something hard.
It turned out to be a very rough surface of concrete with rebar sticking out in some places. We dug all the way around, which turned out to be a perfect circle about 6 feet in diameter. Once we dug all the edges we attached a boat anchor to one side, and wrapped a cable around the tow hook on his 4x4 truck. It took quite a few yanks, but we flipped the concrete slab over.
Sticking out of the concrete slab was a HUGE cartridge! Must be 150MM at least! Lots of rocks, dirt, etc covering most of the bottom of the concrete.
We looked into the hole, more dirt. We jumped down, sparked up the metal detector, and it was going crazy. It couldn't identify anything in paticular, measured a depth to 6 feet (it's maximum range) of metal.
We started digging and immediatly started pulling out different cartridges, all with bullets pulled out but sitting right beside the cartridges, nothing loaded. A little further and a few layers of what looked like 40MM M203 hulls for my sweet M203. I picked up a few, took em inside, wiped off the mud, measured them and sure enuff, 40mm. SWEET!
We picked up about 200 cartridges and 40mm hulls. Underneath the hulls were rows and rows of propellers. We pulled up on one, but it was damn damn heavy. Took both of us to pull it up. It looked like a torpedo cut in half (by a big chop saw). Looking into where it had been, we could see the front half of it. The propeller would not spin. Looking in the cut end it was basically three tubes, the outer one had like a gray clay pack inbetween the outer tube and the middle tube. The middle tube was full of a white powder like surgar but bigger granuals, in what looked like little potato sacks (but white). The very inside tube was full of weird looking things (batteries I think, longer then AA, but skinnier and looked like wrapped in cardboard and vaseline. Metal hooking tabs at each end).
When we saw the batteries we stopped digging.
I begged him for me to bring home some stuff to clean and photo graph it, but he said he wanted to sell it on EBay or go to the local army surplus store and see what they'd give him for it, and he didn't trust me to take anything home. I convinced him to let me take home some of the 40MM hulls we found so I could load em up for my M203, he agreed.

So, here are the 40MM hulls. Any information you can provide would be great. Date, type, etc. There were tons more of them, some OD green, some blue, most are black or bright green.

The headstamps are as follows:
Green Anodized: XM199  EI    GIE-60-10  3-68
Green Anodized: XM199  EI    GIE-60-11  4-68
Green Anodized: XM199  EI    GIE-60-11  4-68
Black Anodized:  XM576  EI    GIE-60-7    12-67

tn_P1010021.jpg

Small/Large

tn_P1010025.jpg

Small/Large

tn_P1010032.jpg

Small/Large

tn_P1010035.jpg

Small/Large

tn_P1010039.jpg

Small/Large

So..... what should I do now? Keep digging? Pull out everything, clean it off, mark down the head stamps? Should I be worried about any possibly live munitions? It looks like this is a very deep "well", there's probably tons of stuff in there. It's basically about a 5ft metal colvert going all the way down.

I'm going back on Sunday (weather permitting) with my digital camera. Lots more pics then!

-Jamie M.

Not a weapons man myself but my immediate reccomendation would be to stop whatever you're doing and just leave the munitions alone.

Someone with more experience will probably chime in with contacts but just as an immediate response to your query before you or your friends go out and do anything that could potentially land you in a spot, stop and leave it.

We realize that. We were not that worried at the start because every cartridge we were pulling out had no primer, no projectile, etc. So we thought we were fine. When we pulled out the thing with the propeller and realized it had some weird looking stuff inside, we stopped.

We are debating to phone the police and report it, or put the slab back over and re-bury it.

We would like to keep all the harmless stuff that's in there, but fear reporting it to the police would result in them taking the entire lot.

Don't touch it!!! (at least not anymore)

If the stuff has been in the ground it could be unstable. Call the local cops and they will know who to call to sort it out.

Acorn

I don't the part about you saying that you "want to load it up" for your M203. Are you saying you have one?

As for the munitions...leave them alone. I've heard too many bad stories and seen some graphic results of people who play with 'innocent' explosives. Let the authorities confiscate it if need be, there is no reason to possess live ammo of this sort.

What's wrong with owning an M203? I love it to death, wouldn't trade it for nothin. Pretty limited what a civie is allowed to shoot out of it though.

I'd say theres something wrong with owning a 40mm grenade launcher. Besides, I thought they weren't legal in Canada. As well, where did you find the $5000 to buy one?
have a look at this link:
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosv/ddwhitem203.html
I really doubt you own one of these

Got any ammo for my M1A1 that I fished out of my friends birdbath? Cmon dude  ::)

M203's are legal in Canada. They shoot less then 500FPS and are not classed as a firearm or any other regulated device. (As confirmed by the local CFO.) There are no laws against owning one, using one, firing one, etc.
You can't shoot "explosive" rounds out of it. The most you can get away with is shooting 12GA bear bangers out of it (with an adapter). Most people shoot flare rounds, etc.
Who'd pay $5,000 for one? lol... the local machine shop can make one for under $700 from the original Colt blueprints (including purchasing the $90 barrel from China, some $10 worth of springs, etc.), with better materials and workmanship then any original M203 (including full trademarks). I'd post some pics and videos, but no sense flaming the fire. lol. If you search around military photos.net you'll find all you want to see.

Jesus Christ, man!  As soon as you saw that first piece of ordnance, it should have been down tools and get the nearest ammo wing on the phone.  Old ordnance and concussion and sparks from metal tools equals big hole in nice quite suburbia.  Cordon and control the scene, get the pros on it.... just an old EOD qualified Sapper's opinion , o'course...

CHIMO,  Kat

So nobody got any info about the XM199 40MM round? I looked all over the web, but nothing could be found. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

500 fps it might not be, but you can bet it violates the muzzle energy limit.  Now that the world knows, you'd best register it.  I hope you have a PAL.  You will also need a verifier.  

As for the hole in the ground, no doubt the whole Bloody 'hood knows, now.

What do you think the re-sale value of that house will be, once word gets out that you covered up the hole?

Not to mention, from this point on, the property owners are responsible for any enviro damage caused by the stuff if they don't report it.

Use your head and call the cops.

That does not look like any 40mm I have ever been issued.

You strike me as someone who is maybe a little too "simple" to own an M79/203.

PM me.

Tom

OK. He's been professionally warned. We're not entertaining anymore of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back