• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Michael Spence - Now in Recovery

niner domestic

Inactive
Reaction score
The story is regarding Cpl Michael Spence and his recovery from injuries from the FF. 

Story is here:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=fb33f5ab-b1ff-4d70-89c6-a9c6733b8004&k=72757

Glad to hear that he's defying his physiotherapists and doing well, all things considered!
:salute:

This story shook me a little. It's nice to read he is at least walking. Even tho he has to use a cake and endure headaches.
A true hero.

Tough kid!  Very mature in his lookout as well.  Hope he mends fast.  :salute:

Thanks for sharing this - won't be easy, but sounds like a tough lad.

:salute:

Niner D
thanks for posting the entire article from the Citizen. We recieved an edited version in our paper out here in Calgary.

I just came across this...Thanks everyone, my recovery went well and I am happy to say im still in the military working in Ottawa as a geotech.  :cdn:

That is awesome news!  I can't even imagine the road you travelled.  :salute:

mikesp1234 said:
I just came across this...Thanks everyone, my recovery went well and I am happy to say im still in the military working in Ottawa as a geotech.  :cdn:

Welcome aboard Mike!!!

I, just like you, found this place, for the exact same reasons!  Trust me, You will be hooked to the site!

dileas

tess

And welcome from me, too, Mike.

If you'd like to share your story between then and now, a lot of people would appreciate and be inspired by it.

mikesp1234 said:

Great to hear!  :salute:

mikesp1234 said:
Belated welcome to Army.ca - in addition to "well done", all I can say is "what Loachman said":
Loachman said:
If you'd like to share your story between then and now, a lot of people would appreciate and be inspired by it.

As asked, I'll give you guys a bit of info how things are going now.  After my recovery, I went back to work at 1RCR in Jan 07.  I then decided, that due to my hearing loss, my time in the Infantry was over.  I chose to re-muster to Geomatic's.  In August of 2007 I was posted to Ottawa, and attended Algonquin College until August of 2009.  I currently work in Ottawa and am very happily in a relationship with a reservist RMS clerk. 

As far as recovery goes, I lost the hearing in my left ear permanently.  Luckily I am right on the baseline, so I am still fit for service...(As long as I stay away from too many concerts  :P ).  I lost most dexterity on my left side, and it is slowly coming back.  It will never be 100%, but I look forward to continued improvement.  And other than some scars (which my girlfriend thinks are pretty cool), I'm just a normal guy again.

As I am coming up on the 5 year anniversary of the incident, I have been reflecting back on everything that has happened.  While quite the experience, I think it has shaped me more into a person I am very proud to be.  I will never falter on my devotion to the CF and am very proud to wear this uniform every day of my life.

Thanks, again, for sharing - hope things keep getting better for you.

Hi Michael

Welcome to the site!  I am SO HAPPY to hear of your recovery.  Please keep us informed, even of the mundane parts of your life.  We're a pretty tight knit group on here, all things considered.  You may find this site a bit addictive, so, forewarning is fair warning ;D

Take care, and I'm certain I can speak on behalf of us all when I say that we look forward to hearing more from you!

Techno

A bit addictive, techno is now failing his 12 step army.ca withdrawal program..... again.

Michael welcome aboard, you'll probably find quite a few collegues and friends here.

Back