• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

The only way to get ahead of housing inflation is to make more & more money, quickly. Expecting the Government to rescue us is akin to waiting for magical life boats to appear on the deck of the Titanic. Mostly because their policies and laws are part of the problem.

My opinion is it's a dog-eat-dog World out there and the only way to get ahead is to out hustle the hustlers.

Like, you know, just turning up for work on time and being a stand out employee ;)

1727155083038.png

Ford in Cobourg telling the homeless to get a job to get out of the homeless encampments.

Cobourg isn’t exactly cheap right now for someone with a decent job, let alone one who is homeless and probably has zero money. It’s not like the new employees will magically make enough to get rent right away.

I definitely think people should work, but “get a job, hippie” bootstrapping isn’t a quick solution.

Its refreshing to hear a major political leader talk that candidly, of course it also feeds into my biases.

Migrate. Go where the opportunity is. As alluded too, hustle!

Its refreshing to hear a major political leader talk that candidly, of course it also feeds into my biases.

Migrate. Go where the opportunity is. As alluded too, hustle!
Yes but he’s talking about homeless people, not economic migrants.

I agree with migrating for better jobs, but this is a different issue that he is talking about.

Yes but he’s talking about homeless people, not economic migrants.

I agree with migrating for better jobs, but this is a different issue that he is talking about.

Get off your ass and start working is exactly what I am talking about. Get off your ass and create your opportunity.

We have lots of homeless people who are economic migrants in Halifax. Its better to be homeless with a support system you can siphon off of like HRM than Yarmouth or Meat Cove.

I don’t know. Most of the homeless I see struggle to remember to put their underwear on before they put their pants on. I’m guessing that a majority of them would not be able to hold down a job, much less get hired by someone, even if they wanted to.

I don’t know. Most of the homeless I see struggle to remember to put their underwear on before they put their pants on. I’m guessing that a majority of them would not be able to hold down a job, much less get hired by someone, even if they wanted to.

The vast majority of homeless are as you describe; So ruined by drugs that they are no longer likely able to function at all in society, so they are left to die on the streets with a needle in their arm.

Those weren't the ones the premier was addressing though. There is a small minority of homeless who are there by choice, because they choose to not conform to what society expects of them. Those are the target, and the target audience are the people struggling to keep their heads above water while the government throws cash at people who can't/won't contribute, but instead are just a drain on the system.

I see a lot of the homeless are barely handling the chore of putting their clothes on! But there likely is a bunch of folks who are able but bitch and moan that the system is against them.

Case in point, my partner's sister. She has had a rough go with gaslighting and or abusive relationships that coupled with her excessive drinking, paranoia and low self esteem has made her an extremely abusive person to folks who try to give her a hand up. My partner has tried several times to help her out but get nothing but verbal abuse (especially after a bout of wine drinking). It is rather depressing to see a functional person eventually become a liability because they refuse to accept the hand that tries to help!

They have been in Canada since 2018. Father apparently doesn't speak English. The family has eight kids. Nobody works. Canadian gov't settled them in Metro Vancouver.

What's wrong with this?

Syrian family’s dreams shattered by Canada’s housing crisis with 3rd eviction notice

They have been in Canada since 2018. Father apparently doesn't speak English. The family has eight kids. Nobody works. Canadian gov't settled them in Metro Vancouver.

What's wrong with this?

Syrian family’s dreams shattered by Canada’s housing crisis with 3rd eviction notice

Sorry this isn't working out. Back you go,.

Sorry this isn't working out. Back you go,.
I'm not quite so heartless... but I'm not much less heartless.

I think in situations like that, they family should be placed in a lower CoL location, and there should be official language training/proficiency, as well as employment requirements for those who are living on the government's dime after the immediate crisis.

Yes there is plenty of people who could work that don’t, the other side of it is what incentive do they have to work?

When your average rent in the major cities is at least 2500$ how is your lower class expected to afford it? If you can never get ahead no matter how much or little you work you aren’t even going to try.

Our society actively shuts down things that could loosen the burden and costs, yet expects everyone to pay when they can’t necessarily afford it.

If working gets you to the same place not working gets you, you would be stupid to go to work.

Back